Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm loving my new hellcat. Just got over 300 miles on her, and starting to have some real fun now.

My question is, has anyone found a way to change the default drive mode? Everything I've read in the manuals says the vehicle will always start in auto mode, which I've found to be true. Sometimes when I press the go pedal, there is a definite delay in power, which makes me realize I'm back in auto mode... press a couple buttons, and I'm back to hooligan status again. I think the touchscreen is getting permanent fingerprints in those spots that I'm pressing every time I get in.

You know it's a great vehicle if this is the only thing I can come up with to complain about 馃槃

Registered
I'm loving my new hellcat. Just got over 300 miles on her, and starting to have some real fun now.

My question is, has anyone found a way to change the default drive mode? Everything I've read in the manuals says the vehicle will always start in auto mode, which I've found to be true. Sometimes when I press the go pedal, there is a definite delay in power, which makes me realize I'm back in auto mode... press a couple buttons, and I'm back to hooligan status again. I think the touchscreen is getting permanent fingerprints in those spots that I'm pressing every time I get in.

You know it's a great vehicle if this is the only thing I can come up with to complain about 馃槃
You can setup a custom profile to your liking and when you get in you can double tap the SRT button and it will put it in the custom drive mode.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While I'm at it, I drove at night for the first time the other night, and the screen was super bright. I see in the settings where I can change to manual screen brightness instead of auto, and I can change the screen brightness while the headlights are off, but it won't let me change it when the headlights are on. It is just grayed out... Any suggestions? I just turned off the screen.

Registered
While I'm at it, I drove at night for the first time the other night, and the screen was super bright. I see in the settings where I can change to manual screen brightness instead of auto, and I can change the screen brightness while the headlights are off, but it won't let me change it when the headlights are on. It is just grayed out... Any suggestions? I just turned off the screen.
Hmmm, not from me. My eyesight is going so the bright screen doesn't bother me...lol

Registered
Check the dial for the interior cabin lights on the left of the steering wheel. There is always on, the top position, then a middle click that keeps the screen at high brightness, then below that little click it allows you to dim the cabin lights and infotainment system. I haven't tried it on my hellcat, but on the SRT that's what I did to get it down. But that was uconnect 4. I'd assume it would work the same.

Registered
2020 Durango SRT
That doesn't solve your "change the default drive mode" issue.
Auto is always the default. No way around that.
A custom profile copying the mode you want so that you can double-tap the SRT button after startup is your only free option.

There is a way around it, but it's not cheap.

A Z Automotive Tazer. It'll allow setting of default drive modes.

Registered
2020 Durango SRT
Headlights have to be off to change the "brightness when off" setting, and on to change the "brightness when on" setting.

The user selectable settings table in the UConnect section of the manual talks about that.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check the dial for the interior cabin lights on the left of the steering wheel. There is always on, the top position, then a middle click that keeps the screen at high brightness, then below that little click it allows you to dim the cabin lights and infotainment system. I haven't tried it on my hellcat, but on the SRT that's what I did to get it down. But that was uconnect 4. I'd assume it would work the same.
This fixed it. I didn't know there was that extra click until you shared this information. Thanks!

Registered
This fixed it. I didn't know there was that extra click until you shared this information. Thanks!
Hmmm, you're starting to sound like a VERY new vehicle owner.
Not knocking you it's just some of these things are basic to regular car guys/gals.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm, you're starting to sound like a VERY new vehicle owner.
Not knocking you it's just some of these things are basic to regular car guys/gals.
Not really my first rodeo. I admit the cabin light thing was kind of dumb of me though. Thanks for pointing that out. 馃槃

Registered
Not really my first rodeo. I admit the cabin light thing was kind of dumb of me though. Thanks for pointing that out. 馃槃
It's a goofy thing for Dodge to have it setup like that. I also found that out on this forum with my original R/T a few years back. It's what the forum is for, discussion, help, and paying it forward.

Plus now I know the dial does the same thing on the Hellcat. I have had it only for a few days so I haven't driven at night yet. Thanks for confirming.

Registered

Once you hit 500 miles, its opens up the other drive modes. my dealer let me know that & that's what it did.

Registered
us the roller nob next to the headlight

1 - 17 of 17 Posts