Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got around to installing my xmas present I bought myself, the BilletTech Catch Can. Here's some tips for the install... I'm not going to make an entire how-to since the Billet Tech directions are very solid.

Tip 1: What Side Goes Where?
- Doesn't matter
- Did I say it doesn't matter? ;)
- It IS easier/cleaner install by doing it as shown below; front to drivers side of can, rear to passenger side of can

(Which goes to what side on the can for easier install)
Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive super charger part

Tip 2: Angle of fittings
- Fittings should face down if you are going to keep the engine cover (if not, you can point them to the rear of the vehicle).
- Install the drivers side fitting to the short run that goes to the top end (front one on engine, valve train).
- Twist the passenger side fitting slightly to front to allow for extra clearances.

(Shows catch can sides and one side with the slight cant forward)
Auto part Engine Vehicle Carburetor Car

Tip 3: Pre-Fit
- The old adage of measure twice, cut once still rules.
- The lines as shipped seemed a bit too long and would rest on the alternator.
- Test fit both lines.
- Test fit the front line with the 90deg from the existing vent and adapter on it.

(Both lines in, test fit)
Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

(Front line with adapter fittings in place)
Auto part Engine Vehicle Fuel line Automotive engine part

(Fitting Close-Up, note the long side of the elbow****)
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

(Marked to cut excess tubing)
Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Car

Tip 4: Hose Protection
- Use some quality hose guard for the rubber hoses, it'll help prevent wear through and then a leak

(This stuff is awesome and EXACTLY matches the other guard used by Dodge)
Wire Cable Label Rim

- Use heat shrink on the ends for a cleaner install
- **Use heat shrink that has a lower melting point than the hose guard (lesson learned)

(Here was my issue: my heat shrink was too good! It's melting point was way above the guard, so I use some electrical tape and a zip-tie for now)
Wire Coaxial cable Technology Cable Plastic

Tip 5: Routing of Lines
- Route them under the exiting rigid wire guard

(Overhead of routing)
Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Fuel line

- Route the passenger side under the Coolant Reservoir Overflow

Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Fuel line

·
Registered
542 Posts
Great information Suli...!

Is this a mod that is needed for our 5.7's? Don't know much about it.

·
Premium Member
28,308 Posts
SULI GREAT WRITE UP WE WILL POST THIS AS A STICKY
UNXPCTD The Hemis tend to push a little oil back into the intake and Some believe it to be harmless, Most believe that they dont want it going back into intake and settling or burning off
I use a billet tech clear can so I can see how full it gets
STEVE

Attachments

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
SULI GREAT WRITE UP WE WILL POST THIS AS A STICKY
UNXPCTD The Hemis tend to push a little oil back into the intake and Some believe it to be harmless, Most believe that they dont want it going back into intake and settling or burning off
I use a billet tech clear can so I can see how full it gets
STEVE
steve, how full does yours get over say 1,000 miles?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
28,308 Posts
Paul it depends on what type of driving. Just cruising around its 3/4 full at 3000 miles. If I am doing some spirited driving 1/2 full in a 1000 miles
STEVE

·
Registered
542 Posts
Great info....!

While I just bought the R/T....and spent a few hundred on some mods I also have a vacation coming up so I need to save a bit :)

I'll get this done next month! I'm assuming this is self-installable....and I'm a dunce when it comes to this type of thing...but looking at the photographs from Suli this appears to be pretty easy.

And Steve/FASTDNG03...thanks for the photograph and info!

·
Registered
542 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,308 Posts
Use a Billet tech catch can only all others are copycat
Mine was all custom and ran about $200 total You can get the base Silver one for about 129-149 with everything needed to install
STEVE

·
Super Moderator
13,119 Posts
what it costs depends on the options you choose and whether there is a special going on. Mine was $140+shipping in clear aluminum, plain hoses, powerdercoated fittings, no special offer.

I had expandable nylon braid in stock (I use it for making wiring harnesses) so I used that to dress up the plain PCV hose.

Mine came with what looked to be black-oxide cap screws to mount the bracket to the PCM; these were pretty rusty after a couple months. It turns out that Home Depot carries (or did when I needed them) chrome-plated cap screws that are a perfect substitute. (the attached pic has the original bolts, was taken when I did the install)

...tom

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
Right click...save...

As I'm doing with multiple other photos of this modification.

Going to order and attempt this myself soon....hope I don't screw up!

·
Premium Member
28,308 Posts
Its really a piece of cake
STEVE

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thanks Steve...I'm going to give it a go when I get back from Key West in March :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's super easy to do! Just take your time with it. Not much you can mess up, just pay attention to clearances and routing. I had gotten a spool of the braid (was cheaper than getting the pieces separate) to dress it up and add some anti-abrasion to the hoses. Got my BT during the holiday sale... definitely worth it!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
That can catches oil vapor mixed with the blow by gas from the pcv, the vapor lowers your oct of your fuel as well getting stuck to intake valves and or clogging various orfices. Some cars usally on boosted/high compression or nos cars this is a must have mod.
I got my old cc from my old car not sure to use this or get the billet one.

·
Premium Member
28,308 Posts
HAHAHA Finny you jammed that thing under the fuse box...LOL You must have had too many Guiness's that day
PIECE OF CAKE
STEVE

·
Registered
753 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but hoping someone can enlighten me here.

I got the Billet catch can and was going to install it tonight, but I think I have a problem.....

I only have ONE of the brass adapters for the hoses. Is that correct? It looks as though there should be 2. And if there SHOULD be 2, does anyone know where one can be purchased? I got my catch can second hand (but the unit is new).

Thank you in advance!

Chris

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.