Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem. I haven't even taken delivery of the DDSRT yet and I have started accumulating parts. I've never liked chrome exhaust tips and from the countless hours of staring at the back end of the SRT's the exhaust tips size just seamed small to me. These are 5" black ceramic coated tips from Carven and are supposedly bolt on, so hopefully soon I'll be able to verify. At $230 they are far from cheap, but I just spent almost $70k on a vehicle and I got tired of repainting my last vehicles tips every so often so why not.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Those tips are Awesome.

Looking forward to the installed pictures.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a problem. I haven't even taken delivery of the DDSRT yet and I have started accumulating parts. I've never liked chrome exhaust tips and from the countless hours of staring at the back end of the SRT's the exhaust tips size just seamed small to me. These are 5" black ceramic coated tips from Carven and are supposedly bolt on, so hopefully soon I'll be able to verify. At $230 they are far from cheap, but I just spent almost $70k on a vehicle and I got tired of repainting my last vehicles tips every so often so why not.
I definitely will be checking out the 5" black tips from Carven.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Why didn't you just use a little sandpaper and then apply a nice coat of Satin Black. It seems a shame to discard the nice standard stainless factory equipment.
A lot of "youngsters" don't appreciate the excellent stainless exhaust systems that are now factory installed. In the old days, the whole system would be a pile of rusted crap in 2 or 3 years and the tips would look like shxx in 6 months. Now, the systems can last forever almost.

By the way, I'm still waiting for delivery too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why didn't you just use a little sandpaper and then apply a nice coat of Satin Black. It seems a shame to discard the nice standard stainless factory equipment.
A lot of "youngsters" don't appreciate the excellent stainless exhaust systems that are now factory installed. In the old days, the whole system would be a pile of rusted crap in 2 or 3 years and the tips would look like shxx in 6 months. Now, the systems can last forever almost.

By the way, I'm still waiting for delivery too.
I hear what you're saying. My current truck has a cat back and I sanded and painted the tips satin black. I used about a whole can of Rust-Oleum Universal on just the tips. It's held up good for 4 years, so that was definitely something I was considering doing to the DDSRT.

What made me buy these was I felt the stock 4" tips were just too small so these killed two birds with one stone.

I tend to order all my vehicles because I'm so particular so I should be used to the wait, but for some reason this wait is the hardest.

·
Registered
510 Posts
IF the SRT exhaust is like the R/T the OE tips are welded on & will need to be cut off !

·
Registered
198 Posts
IF the SRT exhaust is like the R/T the OE tips are welded on & will need to be cut off !
That was what I thought but it looks like the SRT tips are clamped on....and Carven advertises "no cutting." A bigger concern is that there is not much clearance with the 4" factory tips.....and those suckers will get hot.....I'd be concerned about heat damage to the bumper fascia. In any event....please post photos after the install.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Did you get the Carven 5" tips installed yet?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did test fit them and they look great. They do stick out past the bumper about a 1/2". However the stock tips are not even and putting on the Carven tips makes it even more noticeable. I'm currently doing the back and fourth with the dealership who keeps trying to tweak the stock tips to get them even and call it good enough. They have not been able to get them to my standards and I don't accept close enough on a $70k+ vehicle. My next step is to demand replacing the whole exhaust, but I'm not so sure I feel like trusting them to do that. I just finished putting a GM LS2 V8 back together in my garage so replacing exhaust is well within my skillset, but I doubt I'd get them to give me a new one under warranty and let me install it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Decided to go ahead and order the Black 5" Carven exhaust tips. Should have them next week.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Got any pictures? Someone posted them on Facebook and they looked like dog crap. Stuck out way more than a half inch. Looked more like 2-3 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
663 Posts
Don't scrape your shins on those!

·
Registered
103 Posts

These look like they stick out way past the bumper.

Are those even the correct tips and how were they installed?

They are sitting too low and stick out way too far.

I know the Video below is for a SRT Charger, but the Carven's 5" for the SRT Durango should be very similar.

I will know by Tuesday as that is when my Carven Black 5" tips should arrive. I will post pictures as soon as I get them installed.

Go to 2:10 and see how flush the Carven 5" tips should be with the SRT rear diffuser.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Are those even the correct tips and how were they installed?

They are sitting too low and stick out way too far.

I know the Video below is for a SRT Charger, but the Carven's 5" for the SRT Durango should be very similar.

I will know by Tuesday as that is when my Carven Black 5" tips should arrive. I will post pictures as soon as I get them installed.

Go to 2:10 and see how flush the Carven 5" tips should be with the SRT rear diffuser.

I’m hoping that this video represents how they will be on the Durango. I would hope after seeing that video that the Durango ones weren’t designed to look like a pep boys special.

·
Registered
441 Posts
indeed...my grandma told me if you have nothing good to say....well you know the rest...
My filter between my brain and mouth is broken and costs too much to replace. Plus it’s more fun to see what slips out and the conversations that follow

·
Registered
411 Posts
My filter between my brain and mouth is broken and costs too much to replace. Plus it’s more fun to see what slips out and the conversations that follow

I'm not going to fall into the internet "gang" mentality and say mean hurtful things to someone customizing their car to their liking...saying it looks like hemorrhoids or is hyperthyroid is beneath me and really has no place in this thread....:p

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
12 Participants
Dodge Durango Forum
Welcome to the best Dodge Durango Forum around, where you can find a great Dodge Durango Wiki and discuss the reliability of the different trim levels including the GT and SRT!
Full Forum Listing