1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Only with a Zautomotive.com Tazer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Tazer does not fix this . I tried and confirmed .

There a setting to turn off eco mode , but the light always comes on at start.

Also the TSB also doesn’t address the issue. I opened a staircase from FCA but never heard back

·
Super Moderator
12,620 Posts
There was TSB/update to 2014s that was supposed to give eco-mode memory, but it didn't.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a ‘15 and mines turned off. Honestly that would really suck bad if you had to turn it off each time. Like stop/start in newer vehicles.

What if you hold it for longer, like say 30 sec, when turning it off for the first time? Just spit balling here

·
Registered
39 Posts
Personally I believe there are specific drivers-regions/environments/situations where these emissions type features are made for. A broad stroke approach without a means (convenient) to change it is NOT the answer. Especially after paying 40-50k hard earned dollars.

I’ll get off my soap box now...

·
Registered
339 Posts
There was a product (the name escapes me, but if you search this forum a few years back it will show up) that basically plugged into the OBD2 port and simulated the button press on start up to kill the eco mode. I think it was $100+ and then FCA changed the electronics a few years ago to allow the function to be retained when restarting. My 2014 starts up in the ECO mode and has to be manually turned off, and my wife's 2018 stays at the same state when the vehicle was turned off (which is ECO is off).

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yes as an owner of a '14 V6, I am one of the unlucky ones that has to turn the darn ECO mode off manually after each restart. Yes another reason I should have been looking for a '15 MY Durango during my search a few years ago. Oh well, after three years of ownership now it is almost second nature to turn off the ECO mode after startup. I have always wondered if there was something possible that you can do like changing the hard wiring of the switch to eliminate the ECO mode permanently.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a 2014 R/T with Tazer and the car starts every time with ECO off, but it must be plugged in all the time.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yes ... I had mine default to whatever I had it last when I had the tow hitch wire activated. (I installed the towing related items, hitch receiver etc)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 2014 R/T with Tazer and the car starts every time with ECO off, but it must be plugged in all the time.
O RLY? Thats good to know, do you know if the "sports mode" you enable also works only when its plugged in all the time? Did you ever get CELs?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes as an owner of a '14 V6, I am one of the unlucky ones that has to turn the darn ECO mode off manually after each restart. Yes another reason I should have been looking for a '15 MY Durango during my search a few years ago. Oh well, after three years of ownership now it is almost second nature to turn off the ECO mode after startup. I have always wondered if there was something possible that you can do like changing the hard wiring of the switch to eliminate the ECO mode permanently.
Not easily. Like everything else in modern vehicles, there are dozens (and dozens) of computers that control everything. Virtually nothing is "hard wired" directly from a switch to what is being controlled. For example, not that long ago, the switches in doors for power locks and windows were wired directly to the solenoids and motors. Now, the switches to go individual door modules, which in turn tell the solenoids and modules to work.

In a Durango, I think there are 3 different networks that connect the modules/computers that all of the various signals are flying back and forth. I believe the ECO button is on one of the CAN buses. So the ECO button is not a hard wired ON/OFF button, but one that produces a specific set of data (when pressed) that is sent to the other computers. The other computers catch that signal and then change the ECO mode accordingly. I think the device I mentioned earlier was a simple microcontroller that plugged into the OBD2 port, and when you cranked up your 2014 Durango, it would automatically send the "cut the ECO system off" data to the modules via the CAN bus. I seem to remember that in later years FCA either changed the data value or something else that made the device useless.

I agree with other posters that after 4-5 years of ownership I automatically press the ECO button on startup and don't think about it further.

·
Registered
318 Posts
1stDD: Yes that is the Sports mode and the Tazer must be plugged in to work, never got a CEL. The Beta update allows me to roll down & up the front windows with the key fob.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2018 DD and the ECO button doesn't come on during every startup, but the AUTO STOP/START for the engine would. I finally found this little gem and installed it. While a little pricey, I would buy it again for sure. It remembers all the settings and i don't have to touch anything when i get in. It retains the fact that i always want the AUTO STOP/START disabled. Its great and the customer service was great too!!! (y)

·
Registered
68 Posts
1stDD: Yes that is the Sports mode and the Tazer must be plugged in to work, never got a CEL. The Beta update allows me to roll down & up the front windows with the key fob.
Ok this changed everything .

Do you have the entertainment package? Can you confirm the movie plays in the front while option works ?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I do have the entertainment package, but you would need the A/V cables to feed the video to the Uconnect 8.4 screen which I did not do.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have a 2018 DD and the ECO button doesn't come on during every startup, but the AUTO STOP/START for the engine would. I finally found this little gem and installed it. While a little pricey, I would buy it again for sure. It remembers all the settings and i don't have to touch anything when i get in. It retains the fact that i always want the AUTO STOP/START disabled. Its great and the customer service was great too!!! (y)
I have one of these in my '17SXT and love it! I forget it's there too. But I just checked, and there doesn't seem to be a version for pre-2015 models.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts