Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 Durango SRT and today as I was preparing to leave for work I found it totally dead. No response from either key fob or UConnect app. I jumped her and found that I had accidentally left her in neutral. I always apply the parking break since my drive is slanted, so no worries there. Anyway, I've found another forum where someone had the same issue on another vehicle and the person said they were told by someone that this would drain the battery as the computer was constantly trying to communicate with the drive since it was left in neutral. They did not name their source, so I'm trying to confirm the validity of this before scheduling a possibly unneeded service call at the dealership. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

· Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,967 Posts
I certainly wouldn't waste a trip to the dealer for an operator error. Just park it correctly and see if the problem reoccurs. If it doesn't then you know the answer.

· Registered
477 Posts
I have a 2021 Durango SRT and today as I was preparing to leave for work I found it totally dead. No response from either key fob or UConnect app. I jumped her and found that I had accidentally left her in neutral. I always apply the parking break since my drive is slanted, so no worries there. Anyway, I've found another forum where someone had the same issue on another vehicle and the person said they were told by someone that this would drain the battery as the computer was constantly trying to communicate with the drive since it was left in neutral. They did not name their source, so I'm trying to confirm the validity of this before scheduling a possibly unneeded service call at the dealership. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Hello!

If desired, our team is here to support your if this concern is ongoing or presents itself again. We serve as an additional resource and point of communication between you and your dealer. Feel free to send our team a private message with your vehicle information to get started!

Hannah
Dodge Cares

· Super Moderator
13,222 Posts
Would not surprise me if the electronics won't shut down if left in neutral. But I don't know.

Reactions: Ollie Crow

· Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
764 Posts
The 2018 will automatically go into park as well, but the T-handle obviously does not move back into position.
I just tried this. If left in neutral and the engine is shut off, the vehicle puts itself in park, the N light on the shifter blinks red, and the vehicle goes into ACC mode. So it is feasible that there would be a parasitic draw on the battery if left overnight.

However, I would think that the battery management system would cut power after a certain time threshold or low voltage on the battery. But maybe not. 🤷‍♂️

· Registered
4 Posts
Hey man read your post. And I laughed. Only because it happened to me while I was on vacation. I didn't realize it either but I went out the next morning and found my Durango dead. And had to call AAA for a jump and all was well. Come to find out the computer still communicates with the electronics to the transmission. And also, I didn't here it but there's a dinger alert, like when you leave your lights on or keys in the ignition. When you open your door. I guess I didn't here the bell going off. I've done it a few more times after that incident. But I caught myself and put her in park. my Durango is a 2019. Anyway safe travels

· Registered
508 Posts
Hey man read your post. And I laughed. Only because it happened to me while I was on vacation. I didn't realize it either but I went out the next morning and found my Durango dead. And had to call AAA for a jump and all was well. Come to find out the computer still communicates with the electronics to the transmission. And also, I didn't here it but there's a dinger alert, like when you leave your lights on or keys in the ignition. When you open your door. I guess I didn't here the bell going off. I've done it a few more times after that incident. But I caught myself and put her in park. my Durango is a 2019. Anyway safe travels
Good to know...

· Registered
2018 Durango SRT Bruiser Gray
434 Posts
Now that I think about it, I think this happened to me. I went to start my DD in the morning, and nothing. Charged it up, it started, and never happened again. I didn't note at the time that it was in neutral, but bet it was.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts