Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to buy a Keystone Bullet Crossfire 2430BH.

Dry Weight is 5,132
Carrying Capacity is 1,368
Hitch is 615.

My only concern is hitch/tongue weight. It says dry 615.

I have a 2016 R/T AWD so all out tongue/hitch will be 720, and max towing will be 7200 with 1200 max cargo/occupant capacity.

I see others on the forum who haul 30' boxes (32-33 total) and say it's fine and dandy. I also see others that say to keep the box <= 25' or you'll be white knuckle.

I thought I found something that would work because it's GVWR is 10% below max towing for the rango and was 24' (total 28'), but based on talks on the the keystone forums, it'll completely overload the Durango. They say the math doesn't lie, so i'm trying to figure out the middle ground.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a lot of trailer. How many passengers and how much gear do you plan to stow in the DD? You'll probably max out your rear axle weight limit before you hit the max towing capacity.
Two adults, two young teens, and a 50lb dog (550lbs). Anything else would sit above the axle in the rig.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
142 Posts
I literally just rented one of these this past week, and have taken it on previous trips as far a 1000 mile road trip through the Rockies and Wyoming, so it can be done. @Urbish is right, it is a lot of trailer! You're right to fear the tongue weight. The one I rented (with double battery and double propane tanks) was around 900 lbs at the tongue prior to me loading it up. The overall trailer weight was about 6000 lbs, before packing my stuff in (but that does include the owners supplies, like dishes).

With creative loading you can rebalance things. I got it back down to around 720, with a total loaded weight of probably 6500 lbs.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

I manged to keep the axle weight to close to max (3900 lbs), but I have 4 small kids with a combined weight of less than 225 so not much payload added to the rear from passengers.

All that said, it caught a lot of wind which really slowed me down at times. That is using an Equalizer WDH too. Power is not an issue, but when windy it'll catch some good sway forcing you to slow down. Never felt out of control, but I also kept my speeds to 65 max on highways when it wasn't windy and less than that when fighting it.

Ultimately, I will rent something slightly smaller for my next road trip. Looking for something closer to 4500 lbs dry and 26 feet long. The 243 is a very nice trailer though.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
142 Posts
That would be amazing. You've already convinced me not to go with it though. Thank you for that. I needed a no sh!t dry weight and max length to shoot for by someone actually living it.
Sent you a PM. IMO, max weight and length really will vary depending on each individuals comfort level. I tried out this one based on the "28-foot max" suggestion I've read on here, but where I live in the mountains and high plains, even 28 feet may be a bit long based on the winds we typically get. Overall I think the 28 ft max rule of thumb is a good one to go by.

As for weight, just plan on adding at least 300 lbs to the "Dry" tongue weight for any travel trailer and you won't be disappointed. Invest in a good tongue weight scale and eliminate the guess work (Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale – Sherline Products). If you put your heavy cargo at the rear you can lighten the front, and by using the tongue scale you can be sure you are not overloading the back, risking catastrophic trailer sway.

Also, if you're able, I would try to rent any trailer you're looking at in advance to try it out. I use both RVshare.com and Outdoorsy.com for my trips. I only take a couple road trips a year, so not worth it to me to buy one and pay to store it (thank you HOAs). FWIW, I've got one more road trip planned this year and am renting an Apex Nano 208 BHS. It's 3 feet shorter, and nearly 1000 lbs lighter (dry) than the 243BHS so we'll see. Apex Nano 208BHS Travel Trailers by Coachmen RV

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sent you a PM. IMO, max weight and length really will vary depending on each individuals comfort level. I tried out this one based on the "28-foot max" suggestion I've read on here, but where I live in the mountains and high plains, even 28 feet may be a bit long based on the winds we typically get. Overall I think the 28 ft max rule of thumb is a good one to go by.

As for weight, just plan on adding at least 300 lbs to the "Dry" tongue weight for any travel trailer and you won't be disappointed. Invest in a good tongue weight scale and eliminate the guess work (Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale – Sherline Products). If you put your heavy cargo at the rear you can lighten the front, and by using the tongue scale you can be sure you are not overloading the back, risking catastrophic trailer sway.

Also, if you're able, I would try to rent any trailer you're looking at in advance to try it out. I use both RVshare.com and Outdoorsy.com for my trips. I only take a couple road trips a year, so not worth it to me to buy one and pay to store it (thank you HOAs). FWIW, I've got one more road trip planned this year and am renting an Apex Nano 208 BHS. It's 3 feet shorter, and nearly 1000 lbs lighter (dry) than the 243BHS so we'll see. Apex Nano 208BHS Travel Trailers by Coachmen RV
Yeah we're eyeballing the 208bhs now to see if it's a good way to go.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,022 Posts
Ha Ha. Supposed to be "cooking with gas" but maybe you only have some bacon grease.:unsure:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Check out the Jayco 23BHM. The murphy bed is awesome and totally out of the way all day. There is a curtain that will pull across if you want to have some privacy and somewhat of a small bedroom. U shaped eating area is really big so you can easily have 5 or 6 people. Also great to nap on. When the bed is up and out of the way it is like a big living room. A couple people can sit and eat at the couch as well if you all want to eat inside with a bunch of kids and people. There is a giant table stored in the wall by the back closet. My Durango pulls it great. WDHitch setup with an anti sway control, I added a brake controller as well to the Durango. It has a bike rack that fits on the tongue of the trailer as well. I put a sealed shower curtain on the shower I saw on a larger model Jayco, added a home sized porcelain rv toilet. The bathroom sink is not in the bathroom, really nice feature and it has 2 doors on the side of the RV for exit and entry, really nice feature. We have had so much fun in ours. The heat works great, the A/C works great everything is easy to use compared to older RV's. The back bunks work great for storage as well as the back and front door for bags and ice chests to get them where your going without having to fill the car. Out of the tons of RV's we looked at it was just exactly what we were looking for. I also installed a visio TV and sound bar to make the TV easier to use and to have the sound be a little better.
Window Fixture Shade Wood House

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Mode of transport Rolling

Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 16 of 16 Posts