Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Dodge Durango v6 RWD that I recently put mopar tow hitch on and I was wondering if I could tow a 09 Dodge Charger on a 20” tophat all steel car hauler trailer for 150 miles?

·
Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
481 Posts
I have a 2020 Dodge Durango v6 RWD that I recently put mopar tow hitch on and I was wondering if I could tow a 09 Dodge Charger on a 20” tophat all steel car hauler trailer for 150 miles?
If you don't have the factory towing package you are technically limited to 3500# tow capacity with a V6 model. Could you tow more without destroying your vehicle(s)? Probably. Would it be safe? Maybe not.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think it's actually 6200 lbs, but your options will change that a little

So my quick Google search shows the trailer you said is maybe about 2700lbs, and max charger weight for that year is about 4200lbs, so you're definitely at the towing limit or more.

As far as payload idk. I don't know what the "mopar tow hitch" numbers are

I would say you should probably have a weight distribution hitch and at least surge brakes on the trailer. If you don't have either of those I would not use the durango personally

If you don't have the factory towing package you are technically limited to 3500# tow capacity with a V6 model. Could you tow more without destroying your vehicle(s)? Probably. Would it be safe? Maybe not
Sorry, just looked up the mopar hitch you installed afterwards. Technically, the hitch is your weak point at 3500lbs. I'd say no to trailering that charger

Reactions: Kinghs95

·
Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
481 Posts
Keep in mind that if you wipe out towing a way-over-capacity trailer, your insurance company may deny your collision claim (as well as any liability coverage you have). I would borrow somebody else's tow vehicle or do a day-rental on a Uhaul truck & car hauler trailer.

·
Registered
2014 Durango Limited V-6 / AWD
1,315 Posts
Sorry, just looked up the mopar hitch you installed afterwards. Technically, the hitch is your weak point at 3500lbs. I'd say no to trailering that charger
The Mopar hitch you install afterwards is the same one that comes as part of the tow package. Without the factory tow package, you don't get things like an upgraded trans cooler, brakes, and such. You could put any hitch you want on it, but without the full package, you are limited to 3,500 pounds.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Mopar hitch you install afterwards is the same one that comes as part of the tow package. Without the factory tow package, you don't get things like an upgraded trans cooler, brakes, and such. You could put any hitch you want on it, but without the full package, you are limited to 3,500 pounds.
so a factory installed hitch isn't welded? i didn't think a mopar hitch from the factory would be bolted on

·
Registered
154 Posts
Factory hitch is bolted on.
so i wonder when the next durango come out if it will be a welded hitch, since it will be body on frame.

im stilly happy with the TnG's 8700lb towing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts