Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all -

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction....been working on a 2000 Durango, 5.9L. Originally we we getting a P1491 code; after much troubleshooting, narrowed it down to the PCM - which we replaced through an aftermarket supplier; we are no longer getting that code. After replacing the PCM, we started getting a P0123 error - and after replacing the TPS, we no longer get that code. We are also now getting a P1493 error, which seems to indicate a battery temp sensor failure. Now granted, I admit that failure could have been caused by the removal of it when working some other replacements, but after a 2nd inspection of the sensor itself, it looks to have no damage externally. The fuel gauge will bounce intermittently (at random) from E to F to E; the oil pressure gauge also stays maxed out - even with the engine off, but the ignition on.

It just seems odd that we're seemingly having all these sensor indicator issues at the same time - or is it? Is this a common issue? One of the original symptoms was that the radiator cooling fan isn't coming on (even with the A/C on) at all. The relay has been replaced, and I have verified the cooling fan will working by jumping the relay socket pins. I found that the FSM does have a procedure for troubleshooting the radiator cooling fan - but it appears to be a procedure for when there are currently no engine codes active.

On a different note, after the PCM was replaced we were seeing issues where the engine would start but not stay running unless it was being throttled. I could feather the throttle and get it to idle, but after a quick tap on the accelerator, the engine would stall and quit. Today I disconnected the PCM connectors, and coated them with dielectric grease and re-seated the plugs. We did not see the idling issue after doing that - but not sure at this point if that made a difference or if it was just coincidence.

I apologize for what feels like rambling, but was just trying to toss out everything (for the most part) that has been done. At this point we are planning to replace the battery temp sensor to address the P1493 code.

Does any of this make sense or ring a bell with anyone? One of my questions among the others is that if a PCM goes bad, can it take some of the other sensors with it?

Thanks,
James

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Stepping sideways a bit, how old is the battery? A myriad of electrical anomalies can crop up due to a weak or old battery with these puppies. General consensus I see around here says if you don't know, or it's at least 3 years old, replace it. Not to say that is definitively the problem, but it is something you need to look in to.From multiple codes to rough idle/stalling, the battery can cause all of that.

*Ah, I see you plan to swap the battery, (sorry missed that at first). Well played.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Durangutan - I'm not exactly sure how old the battery is - the Durango belongs to my dad and he's not exactly sure other than "it's not very old". I forgot to mention in my original post that yesterday we disconnected the battery and took it to a local parts store and had the battery tested - the results came back good. Would a battery still be suspect in such cases even though such a test showed a battery to be good? I apologize if I stated that wrong in my post - I meant to say that we're going to replace the temperature sensor for the battery (to address the P1493 code); not the battery itself.

But on that same note - is that normal in vehicles for a failing battery to cause such issues, or just something with this particular model? I guess I was thinking that the battery was pretty much for powering the starter and providing backup/auxiliary power until the alternator is active.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
It's definitely 'normal' in our beloved Durangos. And yes even though a load test passed, it can still be the battery.

As I understand it, if the battery has an issue, then it's causing the alternator to fluctuate the voltage it sends it, which in turn affects the voltage supplied to the rest of the vehicle, which causes the goofy anomalies. Smarter folks than me can explain what I've said wrong.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, after the 2nd attempt at fixing the issue, we decided to take it to a local shop - someone we knew and trusted. In the end, the shop confirmed what my tested had concluded - which was, the PCM was bad. So we sent the 2nd PCM back. The company "tested" it and said there was nothing wrong with it, so this simply re- flashed/programmed it and sent it back. This time, the original symptoms re-appeared. Fed up with the dealing with the company we had ordered the PCM from, we turned to another source for a PCM replacement. After receiving and installing it, we now have our beloved Durango back in action.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stepping sideways a bit, how old is the battery? A myriad of electrical anomalies can crop up due to a weak or old battery with these puppies. General consensus I see around here says if you don't know, or it's at least 3 years old, replace it. Not to say that is definitively the problem, but it is something you need to look in to.From multiple codes to rough idle/stalling, the battery can cause all of that.

*Ah, I see you plan to swap the battery, (sorry missed that at first). Well played.

He's Right.
I replaced a crankshaft sensor and a Cam Position Sensor this week from error codes...Was about to replace the Throttle Sensor from yet another error code. Instead I cleaned and tightened the battery terminals and now the Check Engine Light is gone and it's not revving in park. I'm trying to now fix the drivers seat which leans back to far and the cushion is completely shot...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi where was the prob pcm brought so we know not were to go?
Sorry for the delay in response. The place where I got the PCM was FlagshipOne. After MUCH back-and-forth, I finally got them to issue a refund. They balked at first because it was past 30 days, but my primary argument was that the whole reason why it ended up taking that long was 100% due to their painfully slow response times. The whole process from procurement to refund was probably 5-6 months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry for the delay in response. The place where I got the PCM was FlagshipOne. After MUCH back-and-forth, I finally got them to issue a refund. They balked at first because it was past 30 days, but my primary argument was that the whole reason why it ended up taking that long was 100% due to their painfully slow response times. The whole process from procurement to refund was probably 5-6 months.
What was the source of the winning PCM? I almost bought one from FlagshipOne, but I will continue my search after reading this thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts