Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a noob question regarding possibly installing a CAI. I've read a lot of posts and articles in various forums and websites that make arguments for and against a CAI and the benefits associated with it. I've read things such as a certain K&N CAI adding 15 hp all and also watched the video posted here that have the Brits hooking a Skyline to a dyno to disprove the "myth" that a CAI adds any hp at all. As I've mentioned in a previous post, I have never modded any car I have ever owned. For me personally, I don't think I'd want to add a mod such as a CAI or exhaust just for effects if there were no real performance benefit.

With that being said, I was hoping to hear from some of you with firsthand experience that can tell me if you have or haven't experienced any performance benefits.

Does adding a CAI improve hp, torque, or fuel consumption? I know it makes the engine sound better (in my opinion).

Thanks in advance,

Rich

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The original air box is very restrictive. The engine is no more than an "air compressor". This being said...by reducing the amount of restrictions on the intake and on the exhaust side will make the engine run more efficient and able to "breath in" & "exhale" more air/fuel mixture.Thus improving the performance, and fuel economy to an extent. Although with the reduced restrictions and increased sound it is much harder to keep your "foot out of it" so the fuel economy should not be reason to mod. To increase the "performance" should. And it will.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the Volant intake which is designed with a sealed box and The filter is a dry filter. I noticed the power difference as soon as I installed it, and the engine just sounds like its breathing better. I love the way the motor sounds now, and when I get the Corsa exhaust it should sound even better. The Volant intake and the Corsa exhaust will go hand in hand since corsa makes both of them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ditto on the above comments about the CAI and the Corsa! I love how the Mopar intake sounds and it does seem to be less restrictive as far as acceleration goes and I can't wait until the Corsa is available!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Adding CAI to the D will GUARANTEE you improvements.... And I agree 100% that hooking up a Skyline to a dyno before and after CAI will so no difference, simply for the fact that its a 100k sports car... they have already done everthing they need to with the intake on those... therefore hooking up a K&N or AFE, etc will show little to no difference at all..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts