Dodge Durango Forum banner

New or Used RT?

• New

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Used

Votes: 2 40.0%
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Registered
That warranty I didn鈥檛 know about thank you for that info. And how can I know if it鈥檚 a Canadian Durango?
It will smell like back bacon and U connect will say Thank you over and over...馃槒
Seriously though, if you want a deal, now is the time to buy model year 2020鈥檚.
I ordered a MY 21 RT, but the local dealership had a perfectly optioned 20 SRT for the same price
as the RT I had ordered and it is still not built. I could not pass up on the savings for a higher model Durango for the same price. It鈥檚 been 18 days now and no regrets whatsoever.

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
It will smell like back bacon and U connect will say Thank you over and over...馃槒
Seriously though, if you want a deal, now is the time to buy model year 2020鈥檚.
I ordered a MY 21 RT, but the local dealership had a perfectly optioned 20 SRT for the same price
as the RT I had ordered and it is still not built. I could not pass up on the savings for a higher model Durango for the same price. It鈥檚 been 18 days now and no regrets whatsoever.
馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀
You bought that SRT new for the RT price?

Registered
That warranty I didn鈥檛 know about thank you for that info. And how can I know if it鈥檚 a Canadian Durango?
It鈥檒l be obvious on the CarFax / AutoCheck

You can also tell by the maple leaf on the VIN sticker in the driver door jam

Attachments

Registered
馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀
You bought that SRT new for the RT price?
Yes, MY 20 SRT had a $13,001 manufactuer discount, MY 21 RT at time of ordering had nothing.
In Canadian funds the SRT sticker was $86,500, the RT was $72,600.

Registered
Yes, MY 20 SRT had a $13,001 manufactuer discount, MY 21 RT at time of ordering had nothing.
In Canadian funds the SRT sticker was $86,500, the RT was $72,600.
Yip, as I mentioned a few posts up the 2020 modes have plenty of rebates and incentives right now it was a deal I could not pass up.

As for the Canadian imports be careful I even had a few dealers trying to sell me one and when I asked about the factory warranty transferring all I got was silence and we will check that for you. Another way you can tell is to use the free window sticker by vin search and plug the vin number in. If the vehicle is made in Canada it will clearly say so on the window sticker, it even says the warranty is not valid outside of Canada in the window sticker.

Registered
Regarding the options, I'd advise not to compromise there. I recently picked up a 2018 R/T after searching for a few months on and off. It was one of the very few that had the Tech Package and all that entails, including blind spot warning, automatic emergency braking and the adaptive cruise control with stop and go. I had all but given up finding a used car with that feature as the vast majority of the used vehicles simply do not have this options compared to how many of them have the Blacktop package which seems to be at least 50%. The amount that has the tech package is probably 10% or less from what I've seen. Now that I have this feature, I know it was the right decision, especially the stop and go cruise in traffic. I figure having this will also help when it comes time to sell it down the road.

It also has the Tow Package. Once thing to note is that if you do need to tow, the factory installed hitch setup on a non-factored specced vehicle will NOT have the same tow rating figures as it would if it was built that way originally, so that's something to keep in mind.

Good luck on your search. I'm loving my Durango R/T.

Registered
Tech package was the one thing mine came with that I wasn鈥檛 actually looking for. My must have options were 5.7 Hemi, rear DVD system, tow package and captain chairs. Citadel already had everything else standard I wanted (Napa leather, nav, vented seats, sunroof, etc.)

The Tech was a bonus, now that I have it, I love the ACC.

Registered
Dodge just announced a Black Friday sale as well on all new 2021 Durangos. They are honoring the $10 per horsepower discount on anything in inventory. Which means $3600 off any R/T, $4750 off any SRT, etc. They are still honoring that on 2020 models as well. You can review some of the deals offered in your area on the Dodge website. Arm yourself with what is out there and have a leg up on the dealers. Have a good understand of what vehicles are available in your area as well. Hopefully there is something that matches your needs. If there is something close but at your preferred dealer use the vehicle at the other dealership as leverage. But to your original question I would buy new versus used. Even with the COVID pandemic there are a good number of 2020s on the lots but a bunch of 2021s are showing up now as well.

Registered
We had a 2004 Durango and traded it for a 2015 R/T with towing package. We struggled to find what we wanted - R/T, towing, 7 passenger, not all options. We ended up with a closeout in Dec at a huge discount, but had a lot of toys I didn't want to pay for, but the mark down was huge.
New vs Used - I have always gone towards demo, closeout, end of body style, and an occasional CPO. For some years I have had vendor pricing from GM and FCA. My rule is get a car that has a manufacturer warranty for as long as your loan. Of and on, you get a discount on extending warranty as a vendor.
As for reliability, I have never owned a foreign car because of being Big 3 vendor. So, in terms of US made, the 04 Durango was best car we ever owned, so good we went with a 2014 Charger when sedan needed replaced. 15 Durango has been rock solid through 66K miles and it tows a horse trailer.
Dodges are much better made than they used to be and I follow the maintenance schedule.

Registered
Also watch out for grey market vehicles. Canadian Durango鈥檚 are prevalent in the US, but carry no factory warranty
This is mostly true.
There are still Canadian Durango's that have a warranty.
Mine is one of them.

I chose to buy used 1yrd old '19 with 12k miles on it. After I was doing research I found out about the warranty situation with the Canadian Durango's.

If you ask them to prove with warranty paperwork you should be fine, but make sure they actually provide the docs. I had a couple say it had the warranty and then when I asked them to "prove it because I ran into a bunch of Canadian Durango's that didn't have a warranty" I actually had a couple say whoops our bad it doesn't actually have a warranty.

I'm getting the engine replaced as we speak on mine and it has 29k miles on it and is a Canadian Durango and it was just approved for a new engine via the warranty program so it is possible.

I personally was not willing to take the depreciation hit on a new vehicle.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts