Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Used

Votes: 2 40.0%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s going on everyone?! Hope all are well and staying safe. I al a new member here I am in the market for a vehicle because my 2019 Audi Q7 was deemed a total loss from an accident a few weeks ago. I’ve been searching for SUV and loving the Durango. As much as I love the new 2021 refresh I don’t think it is worth the money right now. I do want to know which would be better. Buying a used Durango with 10k or fewer miles. Or just getting a new one during the end of year sales in December or Black Friday sales. What’s does everyone think on this. And what are your thoughts on the Durango it’s self. I’m looking at the RT AWD version of the suv with 7 seater. I have a wife and daughter and planning a second kids in the coming year. I welcome all opinions and look forward to hearing from all of you!

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
1,564 Posts
Depends on the price differential and whether the selected vehicle has the options you want.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I looked for my 2020 RT for a few months, tried used at first but then you are at the mercy of the spec chosen by the first owner and don’t always get what you want. To be honest near the end of my search there wasn’t much difference in price from a 2020 new with the spec I wanted to a 2020 used with less than 10k miles on it that was always missing one of the options I wanted. I vote new if you are comfortable with the payments.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh side note be weary of the used RT’s even low mile ones a quick CarFax will tell if they have been used as rental, seems our DRT is a favorite with car rental companies

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
Angel:
Welcome to DDN. Sorry to hear of the loss of your Q7, but it did the job, as you are still with us. I have yet to buy a brand new vehicle, but if I could, as long as I could get the options I wanted (within reason), I would go that way. Especially, if you are one to hold onto your cars for a good while.

Cheek out autotrader.com, and similar places. If you are willing to travel a bit, you'll have better luck finding what you want, and likely save some money along the way.

Don

Reactions: Angel1013

·
Registered
380 Posts
just my 2 cents, for what it’s worth.

If you buy new
Easier to find financing
First owner
You know it’s never been abused
Warranty
New tire sand brakes
Maybe higher payments

If you buy used
First owner took in depreciation of value
You don’t know how it’s been treated
Maybe lower payments
Usually used cars have higher APR

just my opinion tho.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh side note be weary of the used RT’s even low mile ones a quick CarFax will tell if they have been used as rental, seems our DRT is a favorite with car rental companies
I saw a lot of used ones with 10k or less for around 38k and one that was under 5k for about 44k. Pricing didn’t seem bad but I would have to look into it further Atleast and all of them had what I want if not more. Looking at a new RT with the packages is about 52k. So I’m unsure if there will be any sales that will drop it so much in December I guess that’s what I’m wondering more

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just my 2 cents, for what it’s worth.

If you buy new
Easier to find financing
First owner
You know it’s never been abused
Warranty
New tire sand brakes
Maybe higher payments

If you buy used
First owner took in depreciation of value
You don’t know how it’s been treated
Maybe lower payments
Usually used cars have higher APR

just my opinion tho.
I have always done new myself. The payment would be so bad that would throw me to say no. But was just curious to know what was everyone’s buying interest when getting the Durango. Not sure how reliable or if it has a bunch of recalls and what not to have that headache later on with the new vehicle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Angel:
Welcome to DDN. Sorry to hear of the loss of your Q7, but it did the job, as you are still with us. I have yet to buy a brand new vehicle, but if I could, as long as I could get the options I wanted (within reason), I would go that way. Especially, if you are one to hold onto your cars for a good while.

Cheek out autotrader.com, and similar places. If you are willing to travel a bit, you'll have better luck finding what you want, and likely save some money along the way.

Don
Thanks for the welcome! Looking forward to more from the forum as I do more reachsrch on the vehicle. Yea I want to be able to hold on to the vehicle for a long time and use it for road trips and what not with the family. As well as have fun it it as well. Use to own a camaro about 6 years ago and miss that American muscle. So why not go back to it now just want to do it the right way.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
26 Posts
Read this forum for a while. You will begin to find what people have problems with but all of the problems here are small numbers compared to the total number of Durangos built. My search for one went on for 2 months. I started with Dodge dealers as I originally wanted a 2017 RT with the Certified Pre-Owned warranty that goes to 100K miles. 2017 has the best recommendation from Consumer's Reports. While my wife waffled on a car, period, we missed out on a fully loaded '17 RT with all the options we wanted (Red ext, blacktop, Sunroof, rear DVD, captains seats with no console, tech package.) We continued to look for used at local dealers, Auto Trader, Carfax.com, TrueCar, Carvana, CarMax and Vroom.

Not convinced we would find what we wanted in used we actually checked out a couple of new '19s which came to about $45K though lacking in some of the options we wanted. Even at that price the payment was going to be over $700. We kept looking at used and found a '16 RT on Vroom with all the options we wanted that we ended up buying. It has lots of miles but looks and drives like new. The best thing is our payment is $535. You can then buy a Mopar MaxCare warranty for it to take you to 125K if you want. For what it's worth, you'll find the most Durangos in one place on Carvana, the second most on CarMax (way overpriced) and then Vroom. Most vehicles from each of them comes with a transportation fee but we felt it was worthwhile to get the car we wanted.

If you will be using two car seats after a new kid comes along then you should realize that if you have both seats installed in the second row you won't be able to flip either side for access to the third row. That's why we got the captains seats with no center console. Now with two seats installed anyone can get to the third row by moving between the two captains seats.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Angel you can negotiate more on a new deal, for starters with power dollars running till end of November you can take $3,600 straight off the price of your new purchase of an RT. There are a few $500 rebates floating around as well, my opinion on the total of $52k you could easily get it down below $48 just with rebates. Then there is also the 72 months with 0% APR through Chrysler financing. I am not a salesman but all good options.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Angel, welcome. It’s true what others are saying about negotiating, I’m not an expert on negotiation.
Just keep in mind in the end do what is right for your budget and your like.
Let me give you an example, of our Durango.

We got a nicely equipped Durango GT with only 2,899 miles on odometer.
It has mostly everything except the navigation, and adaptive cruise control and sun roof, for around 32K.

Just don’t make mistake and give a big down payment like I did.Or if you plan of keeping it a while, then go ahead.
I would recommend you test drive one and see how you like it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Angel you can negotiate more on a new deal, for starters with power dollars running till end of November you can take $3,600 straight off the price of your new purchase of an RT. There are a few $500 rebates floating around as well, my opinion on the total of $52k you could easily get it down below $48 just with rebates. Then there is also the 72 months with 0% APR through Chrysler financing. I am not a salesman but all good options.
I’m definitely going to look at all my options. My wife and I are going Sunday to a dodge dealership to check out the vehicle and see what they are offering in terms of financing and deals. Hopefully we can come to a good deal to drive home with one. Definitely need a car for work, I work in construction and wouldn’t mind that space. (With protecting the interior ofcourse)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Angel, welcome. It’s true what others are saying about negotiating, I’m not an expert on negotiation.
Just keep in mind in the end do what is right for your budget and your like.
Let me give you an example, of our Durango.

We got a nicely equipped Durango GT with only 2,899 miles on odometer.
It has mostly everything except the navigation, and adaptive cruise control and sun roof, for around 32K.

Just don’t make mistake and give a big down payment like I did.Or if you plan of keeping it a while, then go ahead.
I would recommend you test drive one and see how you like it.
I was thinking of a 3k down payment, depending on what the actual payments look like. I’ve been watching reviews and listening to friends and other on how the Durango drives and I would love to test drive it. Hope your enjoying the vehicle more and more

·
Registered
380 Posts
Angel, look for a good salesman. If he’s pushy and rushing you overall, I’d look for a new one. I don’t mess around with bad sales man, they will ruin your experience. Test drive it, go around the block a few times, not just once. Your the one buying it, not the salesman. Don’t get rushed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Angel, look for a good salesman. If he’s pushy and rushing you overall, I’d look for a new one. I don’t mess around with bad sales man, they will ruin your experience. Test drive it, go around the block a few times, not just once. Your the one buying it, not the salesman. Don’t get rushed.
100% will be taking my time. If I enjoy the drive and the feel of Durango I’d definitely scoop it up. I do enjoy the look and meanness of the vehicle though

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think finding a used one that is still within the original 3yr/36k warranty, then purchase MaxCare coverage from Clay is the best route. You’ll save a ton in depreciation and will be covered longer than a new warranty

·
Registered
317 Posts
Also watch out for grey market vehicles. Canadian Durango’s are prevalent in the US, but carry no factory warranty

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also watch out for grey market vehicles. Canadian Durango’s are prevalent in the US, but carry no factory warranty
That warranty I didn’t know about thank you for that info. And how can I know if it’s a Canadian Durango?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts