Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,558 Posts
Sludge

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Hi Don:
How many miles on this potential purchase, and what do you know about it's history?
DuRon's comment about sludge is something to look for. Thing is, you'd have to pull a valve cover to get a good look at how clean the engine is, or isn't internally. The 4.7 is a good engine, but it's not a 5.7.

Do you plan to tow at all? Have you run the VIN number yet to see what options it left the Newark, DE plant with?

Don

Reactions: DuRonbo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has 179K, All I know is it had 3 owners. I test drove it this morning and it ran very good. The guy lives about 10 miles from me so I'll be driving it. Vin has not been run yet.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,558 Posts
Make sure you check the engine from a cold start. Make sure you don't have any exhaust leaks at the manifolds.
When I bought my 2004 SLT with the 4.7 and 190k miles it had broken bolts. Sounded nasty for about 5 minutes until it warmed up and the exhaust manifolds sealed up. It ran pretty good for the high mileage.

Reactions: Don Fox

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
@cerd:
I don't recall any 4.7s having such issues with regularity. I believe there have been a few of them that were way up in the miles, that experienced a lifter or valve issue. Nothing like the 5.7 and it's valve seat/valve spring/cam and lifter debacle though.

Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts