Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the Dealership yesterday to get my Lifetime Warranty taken care of, and saw a Jeep "SRT" in the Showroom. It was an $80K version and it had the nicest RED Brembo brake Calipers installed, NICE!

So my question to you gents is has anyone converted to Brembo brakes or had their Brake Calibers painted? My car is Knuckle White i.e. White as can be and I have added side protectors w. a slim red line in it just to brake up all this uniform white, and I "can see" my DD with these RED Calibers as a nice addition as the calibers are very visible on the Black Wheels, in other words I think it's a good match :)

Having the existing ones painted red would be fine too, although the Brembo looks good :)

Just curious as to what you gents have done beyond the factory appearance.

·
Registered
589 Posts
So my question to you gents is has anyone converted to Brembo brakes or had their Brake Calibers painted?
There are 3 common options.
1. Get Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT new or used. $$$$
2. Paint (use high temp paint)
3. Caliper Covers, they will get you as much criticism as compliments.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I installed the SRT brakes on mine from a wrecked Jeep SRT. 2017-04-17_9-20-23.jpg

Reactions: pridbor and Tweak

·
Registered
406 Posts
brembo.jpg

I found some very good advice on upgrading to Brembo brakes by searching this forum. I purchased slightly used calipers off of a 2014 JGC SRT and new rotors and pads from R1 Concepts. My advice: Save up some money and hit the sales around the holidays.

Reactions: pridbor and Tweak

·
Registered
57 Posts
I painted my Bimmer's with caliper paint. I will the same with my GT also. Cheaper and in the end brake dust is brake dust. it will still cover any paint imperfections. the car is made to drive and get dirty once in a while, not meant for showroom.

Reactions: pridbor

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Di you have to change anything when you who installed the Brembo parts e.g. a more powerfull brake "amplifier" or was it a straight remove and replace Rotors and Calibers, and then letting out the Air??

E.g. are the attachment point the same for the "larger" Brembo as for the standard calibers?

And also do you have a different feel for the Brakes, Bigger rotors = better braking or such?

But I think I will go with the painted scheme as craigffb took for my first round, until I get enough pocket money to go the real Brembo route.

Thanks all !!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2017 R/T. I want to swap to SRT brembos also. Is it a particular year I need to buy or is it 2013 to 2017?
You'll have to change your wheels to 20x9's or wider as the brembo 6 and 4 piston won't fit.

Reactions: pridbor

·
Registered
406 Posts
I steady have 22x9 hellcat replicas. I just wanted to know before I pull the trigger
It isn't just the size of the wheel. You must also take into account the "offset". My 20x9 replica Spider Monkeys are a +34 offset, which clears the Brembo calipers. With an even wider wheel, say 20x10, I think the offset was +50? I saw one person who solved this with a small spacer, but it wasn't heavily recommended.

·
Registered
406 Posts
E.g. are the attachment point the same for the "larger" Brembo as for the standard calibers?

And also do you have a different feel for the Brakes, Bigger rotors = better braking or such?
The upgrade I did was facilitated by the fact that my 2011 R/T came with factory towing. The brakes were already "heavy duty" and the Jeep SRT parts were a straight swap. I'm not sure how things will be with the 2014+ Durango because many components have been changed on the newer models. Now that the 2018 SRT Durango is out, maybe someone will post a "How to swap your brakes" tutorial in the forums.

I definitely feel a difference in the braking. Not sure if it's the bigger rotors or more pistons. But it is awesome!

Reactions: Tweak

·
Registered
11 Posts
I steady have 22x9 hellcat replicas. I just wanted to know before I pull the trigger
It isn't just the size of the wheel. You must also take into account the "offset". My 20x9 replica Spider Monkeys are a +34 offset, which clears the Brembo calipers. With an even wider wheel, say 20x10, I think the offset was +50? I saw one person who solved this with a small spacer, but it wasn't heavily recommended.
My wheels are 22x9 +35 offset.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The upgrade I did was facilitated by the fact that my 2011 R/T came with factory towing. The brakes were already "heavy duty" and the Jeep SRT parts were a straight swap. I'm not sure how things will be with the 2014+ Durango because many components have been changed on the newer models. Now that the 2018 SRT Durango is out, maybe someone will post a "How to swap your brakes" tutorial in the forums.

I definitely feel a difference in the braking. Not sure if it's the bigger rotors or more pistons. But it is awesome!
Karen the knuckles and rest of the suspension is the same for all Durango’s from 2011-2015 EXCEPT the springs and dampeners (struts/shocks). 2016 marked the change of basically every single suspension part. That said, I’m not saying it won’t work on 2016+, but some Durango Brembos would for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts