Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon

I changed the front and rear brakes on my 2003 Dodge Durango SXT 5.9L and I have a noise or squeaking/metal on metal noise only in reverse.
Brake pads I put on:
Front BOSCH BC966
Rear BOSCH BC967

Where I used brake grease:
Where the brake pad connects to the brake hardware
Noise reduction shim/back of the brake pads - where there is metal on metal

Before putting on the new pads and new hardware:
removed the rust from the caliper bracket.
removed the rust from the caliper
added some disc brake quiet
cleaned the rotors with brake cleaner after removing the caliper and old pads -- After installing the new pads and caliper I cleaned the rotors again
I lubed the caliper

There is no rubbing of the brake hardware and the rim.
There is no rubbing of the calipers and the rim

When I first heard the noise, I took apart the caliper and pads from the front and rear again to check for any debris I might have missed.
I am stuck and I am unsure where this noise is coming from.
The noise started after changing the brake pads -so it appears it is something with pads.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas of what could be the issue?

If I cannot find what's causing the noise, then I will buy new rotors, calipers, caliper brackets, brake pads, etc.. for the front and rear

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Have you check the dust shield for rubbing?
That is thin metal that can easily get bent when replacing brake pads/caliper/rotors.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you check the dust shield for rubbing?
That is thin metal that can easily get bent when replacing brake pads/caliper/rotors.

Chase
Good morning

Thank you for your reply.
Yes I did check the dust shield. I forgot to mention that part with everything I did.
More than likely I will just replace all of the rotors, calipers, caliper brackets, and dust shield - just because of everything I've already (listed below)

On a side note - This 2003 Durango I purchased for 250.00 is kicking ass! I've been working on this beast since last year.
Things I've done (pretty much a 100% rebuild haha):
New CV Axles (both sides)
New upper and lower control arms (includes upper & lower ball joints)
New Rack and pinon
New outer tie rods
New Shocks
Replaced Gear oil front & back
New sway bars front & rear
New life support/lift support (rear door/hatch)
New bushings front & rear
New brakes (but issues with noise. I will find where this is coming from)
New master switch
New power steering pump
New Serpentine Drive Belt Tensioner
New Alternator
New battery
New spark plugs and wiring
New fan motor
There are other things I've done that I just cannot remember off the top of my head haha

Treated all of the rust on the frame, engine, etc - Using POR15 with a black top coat.
Waiting on the Front Driveshaft/propeller shaft (will change the transmission fluid in the tranny & transfer case)

Will treat some minor rust spots on the bottom of 2 doors (Then I will have a new paint job done)
Will replace the weather stripping on the entire vehicle.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Hmmm, would think you'd see evidence of rubbing if its metal on metal. Maybe you received the wrong year rotors or pads? 2003 was a one year only for rear discs...not sure if front brakes are larger than earlier years?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, would think you'd see evidence of rubbing if its metal on metal. Maybe you received the wrong year rotors or pads? 2003 was a one year only for rear discs...not sure if front brakes are larger than earlier years?

Chase
Good afternoon
Sorry for the delay with my response.
I did the brakes last and the noise started after I did the brakes. I checked all of the calipers, rotors, dust shields, etc. after I heard the noise.
There is no metal on metal from what I see. I will check again this weekend to see if I missed something.
If I cannot find the root cause, then I will buy new rotors, calipers, and caliper housing. To see if noise disappears

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Its not the pads is it? Did you buy semi-metallic pads? Those will squeak at low speeds...though only when applying the brakes.
Strange...maybe not related to the brakes...can you raise the rear wheels off the ground..put it in reverse and duplicate the noise?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts