Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2001 4.7. Some time ago, I had to have the ABS unit rebuilt, after it turned into a tiny jackhammer factory. The unit hasn't made noise since, but the brake and ABS lights have stayed on. The brake fluid level is fine, and I rarely use ABS, so there's been no urgency. I replaced the rear ABS sensor (twice), and the wheel sensors seem to be reading okay, so I'm a little bit stumped.

It recently occurred to me that the fluid sensor might be defective. But when I looked for it...it wasn't there. More precisely, I finally found the plug location in the reservoir, but there's no wire there. I thought maybe it had come loose, but I can't find anything that looks like it might need to be plugged in. There is a connector at the rear of the ABS unit that has nothing plugged in, but it's a different connector and doesn't reach, so there would have to be a connector wire that's missing.

I can't find any reference online to any connector to the fluid sensor. Is there supposed to be one? And if so, does the other end of the wire plug into the rear of the ABS module?

·
Super Moderator
12,818 Posts
this is distant memory, but I think a mismatch between the PCM and the ABS module can cause this. Was your module repaired, or was it exchanged?

I don't recall a brake fluid level switch, but again it's been a long time..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the module was repaired. And it's possible the fluid sensor is in the balancing valve, but it's weird to have the port for the sensor in the reservoir with nothing attached to it...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem solved. I found a 4.7 in a junkyard and looked at it. It didn't have a connector to the brake fluid reservoir either. But it looked like the connector behind the ABS unit was connected to something underneath the unit. So I went home, pulled out a mirror, and discovered that there is in fact a connection point hiding underneath the ABS unit. I plugged that in, drove a few feet, and both lights went off.

So yeah, I'm an idiot. But now I'm a happy idiot!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts