Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations for oil types to use in my new 2020 GT. Never really paid attention with my last car, but want to be more educated now. I understand full synthetic is the best way to go. Any higher end brands or types I should look for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
If your looking for the best, you can't go wrong with Amsoil. Royal Purple, Mobil 1, any good synthetic will do. If you're leasing, I'd go with just what the factory calls for.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have been watching videos on YouTube from Project farm. The guy does great tests on all kinds of stuff. Oil is one of them, and I believe shell rotella had VERY high marks. More than the others tested I believe. Check it out!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m going to go out on a limb and say that once you get into some of these good synthetics, don’t forget a good filter! Not all filters are treated equal
Good to know! I am not leasing. Going to have this for a long time hopefully. Definitely want to take care of it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
IMHO, all name brand synthetics are gonna be good quality. That being said I’d suggest Pennzoil Ultra platinum or Castrol edge extended performance. But as I said, any synthetic from Mobil 1, Quaker state, valvoline, Havoline etc would be fine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm sorta new here, so not sure how "which oil is best?" threads play out, but most sites I visit they usually get rowdy. I'm not claiming my choice is "best", but there is plenty of evidence that says its VERY good. Wix 57060XP filter and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is what I'm using on my R/T. I use Rotella and Fleetguard filters on the Ram, and Castrol Edge and Wix/OEM filters on every thing else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sorta new here, so not sure how "which oil is best?" threads play out, but most sites I visit they usually get rowdy. I'm not claiming my choice is "best", but there is plenty of evidence that says its VERY good. Wix 57060XP filter and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is what I'm using on my R/T. I use Rotella and Fleetguard filters on the Ram, and Castrol Edge and Wix/OEM filters on every thing else.
Well I appreciate all the comments. Of course everyone has their opinions but sharing them can benefit others.

·
Registered
132 Posts
As long as nobody recommends a Fram filter, it should keep some of the “rowdy” down...
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I'd like to know how anyone can prove one oil works better then the other? I honestly think most oil companys make good quality oil especially if you change it often.
Unless you have a race car which is red lining all the time, I can't see anyone having any issues with any top brand on the market.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'd like to know how anyone can prove one oil works better then the other? I honestly think most oil companys make good quality oil especially if you change it often.
Unless you have a race car which is red lining all the time, I can't see anyone having any issues with any top brand on the market.
This. But just to add to the discussion I use Amsoil. :>

·
Registered
262 Posts
I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full synthetic in my D because its still under warranty. Dodge recommends using either Mopar or Pennzoil oil in the D and Ultra Platinum is the best oil Pennzoil makes. Same thing goes for my wife's Pacifica with the Pentastar 3.6. Pennzoil Platinum is another full synthetic and is a step below the Ultra Platinum. And you can buy it at Walmart, among other places, for about $22 for a 5 quart jug.

Speaking of Walmart I use Supertech full synthetic from Walmart in my kids vehicles, both Ford Escapes. It's pretty cheap for a full synthetic and I have had good results with it. It also gets good reviews.

Now if you want to step up a notch you could use something like Red Line. I use Red Line in my BMW, but it's pricey. However, since the BMW is a twin turbo with a tune I want the best oil for it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I’m going to go out on a limb and say that once you get into some of these good synthetics, don’t forget a good filter! Not all filters are treated equal
I agree. A good oil filter is something people oftentimes overlook. I think it is definitely worth it to spend a little more on a good filter. I typically use either Wix XP, Mobil 1 Extended Performance, Fram Ultra or K&N oil filters, depending on the application, all of which work well with synthetic oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree. A good oil filter is something people oftentimes overlook. I think it is definitely worth it to spend a little more on a good filter. I typically use either Wix XP, Mobil 1 Extended Performance, Fram Ultra or K&N oil filters, depending on the application, all of which work well with synthetic oil.
I'm curious what the different applications would be. Which one would be best for long weekday commutes with occasional hard driving on weekends?

·
Registered
262 Posts
In the D with the canister style filter, I would use either the Fram Ultra or the Wix XP as both are made to be used with synthetic oil. I have used both of those in my wife's Pacifica with the 3.6. Of the two I actually prefer the Fram Ultra, but you can't go wrong with either. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter either.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I took mine to get the oil changed at the dealership and they use Pennzoyl 0W-20 Full Synthetic for 3.6L Durangos.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts