• Castrol Edge 5W-20 Advanced Full Synthetic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Royal Purple SAE 5W-20 Synthetic Oil

Votes: 0 0.0%
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
My line of thinking has always been that automakers are in the business of selling cars/trucks, not making them last forever. With that in mind, whether an automobile, motorcycle, dirt bike, ATV, or snowmobile, I've always gone with a quality synthetic oil and a good aftermarket filter, never an OE branded oil or filter.

Wix is my go-to for everything. Mobil 1 is probably pretty good. I ran Fram 30 years ago in everything, but from what I'm hearing that's yet another brand that's gone full cheapout mode in the 21st century, and cut many corners.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
177 Posts
What about the Mopar black one? Is not good enough? I have read that it should be a high-performance filter. Planning to use Pennzoil or Amsoil. I don't know yet. :(
Oh, I am 100% sure it is "good enough" to run every day. OEM filters are typically rebranded mid-range filters from reputable manufacturers at a reasonable price. I can't seem to find the specs for the Mopar filter but I'm sure its a decent quality synthetic blend media filter. No issue, but I doubt it's anything special.

As long as you're changing your filter at regular intervals (not trying to run them 15k miles or something ridiculous) then any regular decent quality filter will be just fine. That said, if you want the best, you'll want a fully synthetic filtration media. I like the Wix XP line because you can get them for a decent price ($10 ea or less on discount parts sites like RockAuto) and they offer fully synthetic filter material. I'm sure the Amsoil filters are fantastic, but like everything else Amsoil makes they don't come cheap!

As always, the Bob Is The Oil Guy forums are the best place to go for in-depth oil/fluids and filter discussions.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Oh, I am 100% sure it is "good enough" to run every day. OEM filters are typically rebranded mid-range filters from reputable manufacturers at a reasonable price. I can't seem to find the specs for the Mopar filter but I'm sure its a decent quality synthetic blend media filter. No issue, but I doubt it's anything special.
The reason for sticking with OEM filters or OEM spec filters is they would be built to not only the filtration requirement but the flow rate requirements of the engine. You can increase filter capacity by adding filter media...but then you effect the flow rate..unless you use a different filtering media. You want the proper flow rate from your oil filter and without knowing what the aftermarket filters flow rates are or how they compare to the OEM branded filter...sticking with OEM filter to me is a safer bet.
If you want additional filtering capacity while keeping the flow rate the same you typically need to use a larger filter.
So I'd expect the SRT filter to provide that.

·
Registered
2021 Durango GT Plus AWD
199 Posts
Ditto on the Mopar filters from Walmart. In addition to using Mobil1 EP plus Mopar oil filters, I figure if there is ever any engine-related issues under warranty, I hang on to the Mopar oil filter tab from the top of the box, write down the mileage, date and oil used just in case. Did that for over 15 years on my Hemi Daytona as well, and never any issues.

On our 2015 Jeep with the little 2.4, also use Mobil 1 EP, but usually use M1 oil filters from Walmart as well, as the Mopar size is very often out of stock, as well as pricey for some reason. Which reminds me, both the DD and Jeep are due for a change in the next couple weeks...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I wanted to add this. I have been experimenting with Amsoil in a daily driver 2005 DD Hemi. Its currently at 260k miles. I haven't tested Pennzoil, but compared to Amsoil, Mobil 1 is trash. I went almost twice as long with Amsoil (used Amsoil XL 5w-20 in this test and since switched to Signature 5w-20 after I got the test back). I don't recommend going this long, but it seems that this Hemi will outlive the rusty body using Amsoil, even at 15k mile oil changes.

I do change the oil if its over 7k regardless if I plan to do any heavy towing, though.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Don't ever use 'Royal Purple' My '05 Magnum burned though 2qts in 1800mi. I tried several oils and stuck with Penzoil Platinum w/ Lucas Oil Stabilizer.
Never a tick or any such noise, just the throatiness of the Hemi.
Now with the Durango, I changed the oil with Penzoil U. P. full Syn. No tick so far! I idle it a lot in Winter and Summer in Chicago burbs.

Has anybody look into using Lucas Oil 'Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer' ??
I think this maybe a solution for the Hemi tic

·
Registered
297 Posts
What about the Mopar black one? Is not good enough? I have read that it should be a high-performance filter. Planning to use Pennzoil or Amsoil. I don't know yet. :(
So the best Black MOPAR Filter is the 899 which is currently on our Hellcat Charger because the 041 White SRT filter ( originally developed for the Viper engine) is on national back order until November. WIX makes both the Black 899 and the White 041. If you go the Steve White Parts they have a great UTube Video on what makes the 041 special. That being said the SRT team said that I am fine with the Black 899 on my Hellcat engine. Several folks have posted pictures of the new delivered Hellcats coming from Brampton with the 899 filter. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2021 Durango RT AWD Town'NGo
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Don't ever use 'Royal Purple' My '05 Magnum burned though 2qts in 1800mi. I tried several oils and stuck with Penzoil Platinum w/ Lucas Oil Stabilizer.
Never a tick or any such noise, just the throatiness of the Hemi.
Now with the Durango, I changed the oil with Penzoil U. P. full Syn. No tick so far! I idle it a lot in Winter and Summer in Chicago burbs.

Has anybody look into using Lucas Oil 'Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer' ??
I think this maybe a solution for the Hemi tic
I did it, I used Pennzoil Ultra Platinium, for $25 / 5Gal bottle and I used the black Mopar oil filter (MO-339) for only $10 bucks at Walmart. I have bought several oil containers and 6-8 filters, I don't wanna risk my maintenance because the supply chain is broken and everything in this country is on backorder.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I did it, I used Pennzoil Ultra Platinium, for $25 / 5Gal bottle and I used the black Mopar oil filter (MO-339) for only $10 bucks at Walmart. I have bought several oil containers and 6-8 filters, I don't wanna risk my maintenance because the supply chain is broken and everything in this country is on backorder.
I assume you mean 5 QUART, not gallon. If it was for 5 gallons, please let us know because that would be about 3 oil changes worth!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts