Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Durango RT AWD Town'NGo
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As our owner's manual says:
"We recommend you use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Mopar®, Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for the correct SAE grade"

Now, I'm planning an oil change (DIY) and I would like to use the best oil for 5.7L HEMI engines out there. I was looking for Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil, but I've read that Amsoil could not have the API certification, but reading on their site, for 5W-20, they have this:
"5W-20 (ALM): API SP (Resource Conserving), SN PLUS, SN…; GM dexos1Gen 2 (supersedes 6094M); ACEA A1/B1; Ford WSS-M2C945-B1, WSS-M2C945-A, WSS-M2C930-A; Chrysler MS-6395; ILSAC GF-6A, GF-5, GF-4 "

So, I guess this is good to go. Have you ever used Amsoil?

Also, I have that annoying ticking noise in my passenger side, coming through the wheel. Sometimes it does the noise, sometimes not. And the ticking noise is not going away just after the car is warmed, it is still there, and I can hear it driving the car, more when I accelerate. Really annoying, and when I get at home, I parked and turned it off. I opened the hood to hear from where exactly it was coming, and I turned it on, and guess what? There was no noise!

I read and watched some videos about this, and people are talking about that common "Hemi issue" because of bad lubrication in the lifter rollers at idle or low RPMs. Sometimes, they recommend using a better quality oil to reduce and improve lubrication. This is weird because my car has 800 miles on it (it's been doing the noise since 300 miles or less) and it has the factory oil.

Here you can hear the noise from my car (starting up):

And here there is no noise on my car (starting up):

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I vote more than once? Used Castrol Edge for years in turbo cars. Now mostly stick to Penzoil Ultra Platinum. I'd use Amsoil if it wasn't so expensive. Hard to justify the expense when the performance difference is so small compared to other good synthetics. I do prefer Amsoil transmission fluids though....I'll pay the premium when it's only every few years and the performance is that good!

Why no Redline on the best oil list?
You can vote now multiple times, and Redline was added. Thanks ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The results speak for themselves Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic 5W-20. This oil had lower than normal wear running oil samples when I hit 100K . This oil was used for 95% of the life of the vehicle. Sold it privately at 136K miles and the purchaser was thrilled to see these reports. Oil filters were from K&N

View attachment 120140
Wow! That’s clean!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
To the 60% of you using the Pennzoil 5W20, I hope you have better luck using it in your 5.7 than I did. In my '06 Hemi Daytona, I tried it, and even the Ultra Platinum, and found both very noisy at cold start-up, and noisier at idle. Same issue when I tried the 5W20 even in our 2.4L Jeep. Switched to Mobil 1 EP, and much quieter in both.

In our new '21 DD 3.6, 1st oil change I used Mobil 1 EP 0W20, and very happy with cold start-ups all winter. I really wanted to like the Pennzoil, but after trying in multiple engines a couple of times, it just makes sense to me that any brand of oil that produces more noise will cause more wear.
Yep... Someone else has experienced the noise using Pennzoil?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Oh boy! An oil thread! 🍿😁 This one is pretty civil, I must say. Things usually get pretty heated!

I'm not going to sway anyone one way or the other with what I use. I'll just say I've been working on engines of all kinds for decades, and I've used them all. Clean oil is good oil, regardless of the brand. That said, there are wild variations in additive packages from one brand to the next. I ran Pennzoil for decades in my old V8's for hundreds of thousands of miles without an issue. I still run it in my '86 Grand Marquis that has leaked out of the rear main seal for the past 19 years. No point in wasting expensive Amsoil on a leaker. She's got 286k miles on her with zero signs of slowing down yet! You could argue that this is built in a different, much better quality time, and I'd say you're 100% right - this car is still on the original transmission, rear end, and in-tank electric fuel pump (first year of multi-port FI).

I've known people running cheap Walmart Tech 2000 (or whatever it;s called now) oil for over a decade, and they're still running.

But if you're towing, and when you're not, you've got your foot to the carpet every single time you leave from a stop, then Amsoil really can't be beat, especially for 10k mile plus oil changes. Oil analysis is a must, though. Not because the oil can't handle it, but because some engines just make trash over the course of running and might contribute to higher than normal wear.
So, you are on the Pennzoil team. Yeah, you are right, but always is good to know the experience of everyone using some kind of brand. Seems like Pennzoil is a strong winner on those engines.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I always stuck with Pennzoil, but I've run Castrol GTX, Quaker State, and some ultra cheap crap in my oil burners / leakers in the day. My '85 Monte Carlo used to burn a quart every 100 miles. I used to buy cases of Sunoco oil at ADAP Auto Parts for .77 cents a quart, lol. That car used to make people roll up their windows in the summer if they were unlucky enough to stop at a light next to my tailpipe. At idle, it pumped CLOUDS of blue out ... then when I jumped on the throttle when the light turned green, I couldn't see anyone behind or beside me. Good ol' days! :ROFLMAO:
Love those stories
Post some pics sometime

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Definitely not the Fram Racing. It is a high-flow, low filtration kind of filter. If you want Fram look for the Titanium which is good. The more common Fram Ultra Synthetic is OK, synthetix blen media like the Mobil 1. If I'm paying for a quality filter I want one with fully synthetic filter media. My current favorite is Wix XP.
What about the Mopar black one? Is not good enough? I have read that it should be a high-performance filter. Planning to use Pennzoil or Amsoil. I don't know yet. :(

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Don't ever use 'Royal Purple' My '05 Magnum burned though 2qts in 1800mi. I tried several oils and stuck with Penzoil Platinum w/ Lucas Oil Stabilizer.
Never a tick or any such noise, just the throatiness of the Hemi.
Now with the Durango, I changed the oil with Penzoil U. P. full Syn. No tick so far! I idle it a lot in Winter and Summer in Chicago burbs.

Has anybody look into using Lucas Oil 'Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer' ??
I think this maybe a solution for the Hemi tic
I did it, I used Pennzoil Ultra Platinium, for $25 / 5Gal bottle and I used the black Mopar oil filter (MO-339) for only $10 bucks at Walmart. I have bought several oil containers and 6-8 filters, I don't wanna risk my maintenance because the supply chain is broken and everything in this country is on backorder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts