Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Durango RT AWD Town'NGo
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As our owner's manual says:
"We recommend you use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Mopar®, Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for the correct SAE grade"

Now, I'm planning an oil change (DIY) and I would like to use the best oil for 5.7L HEMI engines out there. I was looking for Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil, but I've read that Amsoil could not have the API certification, but reading on their site, for 5W-20, they have this:
"5W-20 (ALM): API SP (Resource Conserving), SN PLUS, SN…; GM dexos1Gen 2 (supersedes 6094M); ACEA A1/B1; Ford WSS-M2C945-B1, WSS-M2C945-A, WSS-M2C930-A; Chrysler MS-6395; ILSAC GF-6A, GF-5, GF-4 "

So, I guess this is good to go. Have you ever used Amsoil?

Also, I have that annoying ticking noise in my passenger side, coming through the wheel. Sometimes it does the noise, sometimes not. And the ticking noise is not going away just after the car is warmed, it is still there, and I can hear it driving the car, more when I accelerate. Really annoying, and when I get at home, I parked and turned it off. I opened the hood to hear from where exactly it was coming, and I turned it on, and guess what? There was no noise!

I read and watched some videos about this, and people are talking about that common "Hemi issue" because of bad lubrication in the lifter rollers at idle or low RPMs. Sometimes, they recommend using a better quality oil to reduce and improve lubrication. This is weird because my car has 800 miles on it (it's been doing the noise since 300 miles or less) and it has the factory oil.

Here you can hear the noise from my car (starting up):

And here there is no noise on my car (starting up):

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Durango R/T AWD Blacktop Edition
177 Posts
I’ve been using Castrol Edge 0w20 Full Synthetic since my first oil change at 3k miles. At 65k miles I switched to the “high mileage” version of the same. For the filter I use the Fram XG10060 filter and change the oil and filter religiously every 4,000 miles. Now I’m at 85k and it still runs like the day I got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
177 Posts
Can I vote more than once? Used Castrol Edge for years in turbo cars. Now mostly stick to Penzoil Ultra Platinum. I'd use Amsoil if it wasn't so expensive. Hard to justify the expense when the performance difference is so small compared to other good synthetics. I do prefer Amsoil transmission fluids though....I'll pay the premium when it's only every few years and the performance is that good!

Why no Redline on the best oil list?

·
Registered
2021 Durango RT AWD Town'NGo
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I vote more than once? Used Castrol Edge for years in turbo cars. Now mostly stick to Penzoil Ultra Platinum. I'd use Amsoil if it wasn't so expensive. Hard to justify the expense when the performance difference is so small compared to other good synthetics. I do prefer Amsoil transmission fluids though....I'll pay the premium when it's only every few years and the performance is that good!

Why no Redline on the best oil list?
You can vote now multiple times, and Redline was added. Thanks ;)

·
Registered
501 Posts
There’s a lot of threads online about redline quieting the Hemi tick. It’s what I’m using now. Not really sure if it’s quieter but I’m gonna stay with it. It’s expensive but when you factor in cost per mile it’s not that bad. I get it from elite fab racing website or something. They got best price.

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Durango R/T AWD Blacktop Edition
177 Posts
Just whatever you all do, stay away from Royal Purple. Pretty sure using that is the straw that broke the camel’s back on my old Charger’s 3.5L V6. It started guzzling oil after I used RP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: yosy

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,272 Posts
But it may not work with MDS if you want that feature since MDS requires 5W20.

Reactions: yosy and Don Fox

·
Premium Member
5,477 Posts
Here:
The '14 Charger R/T receives it's annual oil change at the dealer, using Pennzoil Ultra 5w20, and the oem 899 filter.

For my trusty but rusty '04 Durango 5.7L, I use the oem 090 filter, and whatever good full synthetic 5w30 , ie M1, Quaker State, Pennzoil, Castrol, I can muster.

For reasons I can't put my finger on, I have never cared for Valvoline oil. Their ATF+4, is another matter.

Don

Reactions: yosy

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,272 Posts
MDS is for gas mileage and it is supposed to disengage when the motor is under load such as accelerating, assuming you haven't turned it off. I don't know how it would reduce engine power when disengaged, but I'm not going to watch some random video to see what this guy thinks.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
On using 5W30 oil
"It's important to know this engine uses 5W-20 engine oil. If the wrong oil is used, fault code P1521 can be set, and the vehicle may show symptoms of a shudder - similar to a torque converter shudder - when the MDS system is activated and deactivated. Other symptoms may include MDS performance codes or engine misfire codes."

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Having played with shutting MDS on and off with a tuner on a non-VVT Hemi..I would say with it off around town the engine does feel a bit more responsive. But I also noticed a hit to FE of 3 mpg ave in mixed driving.
I bet with our VVT Hemi you won't notice a difference in performance.
The switch from 4 to 8 cyl happens in milliseconds.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts