1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'19 RT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

Longtime reader, first time poster.

I wanted to start off by saying it's super valuable reading how talented and dedicated you all are to your vehicle's! Simply put it is rare in this time and age.

Looking to modify the Durango to make towing on the vehicle easier. I was wondering where to start, which would have the greatest impact on mitigating the wear of pulling a trailer of 6000lbs once a month for approx. 6 hours each haul.

I am looking at potentially changing the gearing on it, but I have no idea if that would even help and have not been able to find much on this thread.
Would a better torque converter help?

From what all the mods I am reading about it's about, lower, louder and faster... I am looking to double down on the torque, should I just go straight to a blower?

Any help would help here, especially from the Vets!

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
V8 or V6

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
You can look into a gear(s) swap RWD/AWD, intake, exhaust. In theory you could outfit your Durango with all the Tow &Go package!!

·
Registered
'19 RT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can look into a gear(s) swap RWD/AWD, intake, exhaust. In theory you could outfit your Durango with all the Tow &Go package!!
Sorry, I should have clarified, it's an AWD with Tow N Go.

Intake and exhaust are 100% going down, just trying to figure out what will give it more low end torque and less lag between pressing the accelerator and making it through a left turn.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
395 Posts
Here we go again. Not with Tow N Go but with the towing package. Use the paddle shifters or put it in sport mode for quicker shifts. You're probably referring to it staying in 3rd gear when coming out of a turn. You can put a Pedal Commander on it for quicker throttle response.

·
Registered
311 Posts
An additional oil and trans cooler with thermostatic control will definitely help, may look also into helper airbags for the rear.
For gears, 2012 and earlier Durangos with v8 had the option of 3.42 gears, after that only on v6 models and Jeeps. Part numbers for the differentials are same between all 3 of the above, same axles as our 3.09. you can get a low mileage used set and install it to help with towing and performance. I have a set I got before the pandemic just can't get any dealership to install it my area, they fired most senior mechanics and now only do oil changes and crappy alignments.
Will have to do it myself sometime this summer.
You'll need to get you computer reprogrammed for new ratio for proper operation.
Dealer can do it or you can do it with alfaobd from what I've seen.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'19 RT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea OEM dealerships have cut back significantly on their senior staff, guess it's cheaper to employ an apprentice, than someone with 20-30 years experience. It's a shame to witness this go down.

So, I have an Equal'i'zer hitch, I thought the stock load leveling suspension would be okay given the trailer loaded full will be 1200 lbs under the tow rating for the vehicle. Was thinking about helping mirage any squat with some bags, didn't look like airlift had a bunch of options and not really sure what some quality alternatives are.

Will def look into the trans/ oil coolers, thanks.

When you picked up the 3.42 set of gears, what exactly did it come with? Are there any upgrades to the T-Case needed if you change the gearing?

·
Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
218 Posts
Your '19 RT should already have an adequate transmission cooler as well as an oil cooler.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here we go again. Not with Tow N Go but with the towing package. Use the paddle shifters or put it in sport mode for quicker shifts. You're probably referring to it staying in 3rd gear when coming out of a turn. You can put a Pedal Commander on it for quicker throttle response.
This is the best excuse I've heard to get a pedal commander so far.
Do you have any experience with them? I've heard mixed things.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
395 Posts
I haven't found a need for one since I can use the paddle shifters for my needs. Others have said they get crisper throttle responses but then I also see them for sale too on the facecrap which leads me to believe not all people like them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yea OEM dealerships have cut back significantly on their senior staff, guess it's cheaper to employ an apprentice, than someone with 20-30 years experience. It's a shame to witness this go down.

So, I have an Equal'i'zer hitch, I thought the stock load leveling suspension would be okay given the trailer loaded full will be 1200 lbs under the tow rating for the vehicle. Was thinking about helping mirage any squat with some bags, didn't look like airlift had a bunch of options and not really sure what some quality alternatives are.

Will def look into the trans/ oil coolers, thanks.

When you picked up the 3.42 set of gears, what exactly did it come with? Are there any upgrades to the T-Case needed if you change the gearing?
No need to change the t-case, it's rated for more than enough. The diffs came just the full duff taken off a donor, nothing attached but nothing is needed, as it's a direct swap.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts