Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions about the Beats sub. Can the speaker itself be upgraded for better sound using the same box? If so, any recommendations?
If not, what is the pinout for these wires? I assume these are left & right + - but which is which? The pic is the connector from the sub box.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Without looking at a diagram, I'd assume the Green wires are one channel and the Grey wires are the 2nd channel.

White stripe is likely Positive while the Black stripe is negative, again a guess.

^-- Not the best method of course.

This can easily be verified by removing the Dual Voice Coil (DVC) sub and look at which terminals each wire s connected to respective to which terminal.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I saw someone to out stock sub and added a 8" kicker comp rt in the factory box, in an older post. I my self replaced a smaller box in that location but was not enough for me. I used it for 1 week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i think an 8" shallow mount might be a tad bit better but a larger sub would be best.

i made a mold of the current subwoofer enclosure with fiberglass and mounted a shallow mount 10" jl audio (10TW3-D4) in it. so, the current enclosure size will accommodate a 10" sub but nothing bigger. it will be installed tomorrow w/ a 500w amp. i'll update on here if the performance "hits the good bass notes".
IMG_1105.jpg IMG_1106.jpg IMG_1100.jpg IMG_1114.jpg IMG_1112-2.jpg

jl audio did make a stealth box with a 13.5" subwoofer in it but the price was a little high; although, i am sure great quality. (from what i can find discontinued as of present)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Here is my sub info from my 2014 8.4AN if it helps:
Subwoofer (+/-) gry/brn - dk grn/brn (1); gry/wht - dk grn/wht (2) +,- amplifier in LR quarter panel, black 16 pin plg, pins 3 - 11; 14 - 6

·
Registered
605 Posts
THIS would be awesome, since you can add a sep gain control for the sub amp and go either full boom or bump bump!

Shelbyjojo, let me know how this works out/sounds using the J/L

·
Registered
108 Posts

I needed more than the 8s. I have the stock sub box and rear cargo tray if anyone is interested and a custom box for under driver seat. Driver sub box is custom made.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a few questions about the Beats sub. Can the speaker itself be upgraded for better sound using the same box? If so, any recommendations?
If not, what is the pinout for these wires? I assume these are left & right + - but which is which? The pic is the connector from the sub box.
Did you ever figure out which ones were positive and negative?

·
Registered
7 Posts
wait, the beats system does have a sub? I thought only the alpine system did. Is it under that same spot in the cargo tray?

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
395 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
wait, the beats system does have a sub? I thought only the alpine system did. Is it under that same spot in the cargo tray?
yes the sub is in the passenger rear next to the tire jack, its hardly noticeable when plugged in sadly, the door speakers are so overpowered that that is where the majority bass is heard. I replaced the sub with a 12" kenwood shallow mount and a 500 watt amp and its waaayyyy better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yes the sub is in the passenger rear next to the tire jack, its hardly noticeable when plugged in sadly, the door speakers are so overpowered that that is where the majority bass is heard. I replaced the sub with a 12" kenwood shallow mount and a 500 watt amp and its waaayyyy better.
i come from an old shitbox XJ and old Nissan Frontier. Im scared to touch anything on this Durango, lol. i have a 2018 GT Blacktop

·
Registered
6 Posts
if you are happy with the beats i would leave it alone, but if you are worried about cutting wires you can buy a pac amp pro and it will plug and play into the back of your stereo and give you amp outputs, then you can just turn the bass down on the stereo and crank the bass amp on whatever you install to compensate, best buy will do it for cheap and warranty their work, they wont even have to do any splicing or drilling either because the battery is not by the motor.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
395 Posts
Yes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts