Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the long post. Trying to include all relevant info that I can think of. Love our 2018 DDSRT, but have had an issue that is diminishing our joy. From about 3000 miles, randomly, but infrequently the audio will have a high pitched tone that drowns out everything else. It is an annoying tone. You can hear the tuned/selected input (Am,FM.SXM, Carplay) very faintly under the tone, but the tone is the predominant sound. Volume of tone goes up and down with the volume adjustment. When it occurs it is always on startup. It never goes away without an extended (est 30 or more minutes) shutdown. Turning the stereo off makes the noise stop. All other functions of the display seem to work normally (climate, seat heaters, drive modes, etc). The dealer has been very good about it and tried to help. Of course it never drops into this mode when we leave it with them, but one time it did it when we went to pick it up and we drove right into the service bay and had everyone present witness it. My wife always takes a video with her phone to get a time stamped example when it happens. So far the dealer has changed the system amplifier twice and head unit once. We have 12000 miles on it now and all this has occured in the first 11 months of ownership. Dealer has opened a Star case with Dodge and we just dropped it back off with them tonight (the new head unit went in on Saturday and it did it again this morning). The head unit replacement was at the direction of Dodge via the Star case. We have the Beats audio system and have not modified the audio system in any way. Right now I am suspecting something in the harness, or an intermittent ground issue. Anyone out there had similar issues? If so, what resolved the problem. Alternatively, does anyone happen know where the ground connections for the Audio system are located? Appreciate any input. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm...........I hadn't thought of the alternator. I asked my wife and she distinctly remembers the volume of the tone/whine changing with engine speed as she left the stoplight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sure it’s not one of the sensors on the front or back bumper. When I got my srt I pulled in a park with a dirt parking lot and some dirt got on one of the sensors, causing a tone over the speakers. I cleaned off the sensor and it went away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm.... I'll try cleaning the sensors the next time it happens. The latest news is that FCA said to put another head unit in it--- waiting for it to get to the dealer. Thx for the ideas.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Just FYI, IF it is the sensors, it should show a message in the EVIC about cleaning them as well as the noise it makes. One other note, if it is the rear sensors it will engage the brakes if you try and backup (if you have this feature), so long as the sensors aren't turned off by the button on the console. The fronts will just make the noise, but both should trigger the EVIC message. The button on the console for the parking sensors can temporarily stop the noise, and the brakes from auto stopping you in reverse, but they do re-enable themselves at the next startup. This button however, can give you some silence until you can stop and get them cleaned off.

Found all this out the 2nd month or so of ownership in the beginning of it's 1st winter with it here in Michigan. The crap on the roads here get the sensors dirty pretty quick sometimes, and I've found I'll have to clean them off multiple times a day.

I would imagine the techs looking at your DD would have seen the message, and would have tried cleaning the sensors. It's also kinda of hard to miss the message as well, because it pops up right in the middle of the speedo, at least that is what it does on my 2018 R/T. Also, if I remember correctly, it only makes the noise and pops the message up in the EVIC at slower speeds, like below 10-15 MPH or so. Again, this is IF your problem is the sensors. You did say your wife noticed it changed in pitch/frequency when she left the stoplight. That sounds like it might possibly be a different issue than this, but still something to look at.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yes, it disables the parking sensors until the next startup, so if it was making the tone that will make it stop. Only issue at that point would be whether or not it actually stops the noise they are hearing. If it does, problem solved, short of cleaning the sensors off. If it doesn't, it is something else causing the problem.

Speaking of this, OP, do you know if the noise is the same as the close proximity alarm for the parking sensors or not? It should be making a long solid tone, it's loud and annoying. It does the same thing like the beeping you hear as you get close to something when parking near a wall or something, but continuously. It should be making that same continuous tone when your taking off from a stop if the sensors got dirty while your driving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips. Unlikely that it's the proximity sensing system because no message in EVIC, though I did tell my wife to try disabling the system via the button next time it happens just to make sure. I personally think the tone is similar, but different from the proximity system steady tone. But my hearing isn't what it once was. I'll concentrate more on it next time I hear it--maybe try to get it to do both at the same time.

Further info on the change as she left the light---she believes it changed volume, not frequency--so may just be function of speed sensitive volume control.

I really appreciate the ideas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A few updates. New radio came in and was installed last Friday. New radio immediately went berserk....changing stations randomly so dealer put radio #2 back in. Today if went into the mode where it transmits the tone over everything. I tried shutting off the parking system,but noise stayed. Turned park system back on and backed up to a wall. Parking system functions normally with beeps going to solid tone. Parking system tone is a higher pitch than the tone on the radio and it can do them both simultaneously. Last test was a rev the engine test. Tone stayed same volume and pitch. I do believe it increases in volume with speed, but that is a little subjective. Now waiting for dealer to get radio head unit#4 in to swap out.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Have they looked at the amplifier for the stereo yet? I wonder if it could be a something with that, a bad one, or one wired wrong can cause things like your describing as well. If they have tried (x) amount of head units, it sounds like there is something else going on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, it's currently on its third amp. It does seem to be be in the stereo system. Starting to think its somehow in the harness. But there are no codes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had radio #4 installed Tuesday. Noticed touch screen of newest radio became very hot. Today it did the tone thing again with the newest radio. Back to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Had radio #4 installed Tuesday. Noticed touch screen of newest radio became very hot. Today it did the tone thing again with the newest radio. Back to the dealer tomorrow.
They're going to have to replace some wiring. Has to be it. I bet a harness was either incorrectly wired, has a bad connection, or has a screw through it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I have a feeling it has something to do with the harness. Latest from FCA is that it needs an update they are working on which was supposed to be released in q3 of 2019. Sooooo.........I guess we wait a while now. Kind of puzzled as to why they would throw so many components at it if they knew it was a software problem, but they have certainly demonstrated a willingness to try to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah, I have a feeling it has something to do with the harness. Latest from FCA is that it needs an update they are working on which was supposed to be released in q3 of 2019. Sooooo.........I guess we wait a while now. Kind of puzzled as to why they would throw so many components at it if they knew it was a software problem, but they have certainly demonstrated a willingness to try to resolve the issue.
Also, if it's software how come more people aren't having the issue?

·
Registered
13 Posts
They seem to be on top of the issue. I remember the Ram trucks having feedback in the stereo and it came from the noise canceling which I think is in the amp which they have replaced multiple times. Good luck I'll follow this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts