Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am the original owner of a 2015 Citadel 5.7 still have the original battery 101k, think I am going to stop rolling the dice as i travel a lot and don't want to be stranded by a battery. I am thinking of the AutoZone Duralast any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think that is advertised as the best selling battery. On our 2012 I put whatever advanced auto’s brand at the time was. It was a good battery. If you sign up for their emails you will get like a good percentage off of an online purchase so you can purchase the battery online to pick up in store and save a nice chunk of money. That’s what I did. But you might not have an advance auto near you.
Edit: just looked at their website. Looks like it’s 15% off if you do the buy online pick up in store thing and they are selling die hard batteries now. So would save you good money. IDK, just one option.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Why not a Mopar battery?

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
I have had good luck with The Autozone DG, as well as the WM Everstart Maxx brand. It's my understanding that there are 3 battery manufacturers in the US. Johnson Controls, Exide, and one other that escapes me ATM. I have gone oem in the past, and also been happy. Costs a bit more usually.

Don

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have had good luck with The Autozone DG, as well as the WM Everstart Maxx brand. It's my understanding that there are 3 battery manufacturers in the US. Johnson Controls, Exide, and one other that escapes me ATM. I have gone oem in the past, and also been happy. Costs a bit more usually.

Don
Yes I’ve used Walmart everstart maxx on my truck. It’s good battery. You want one manufactured by Johnson controls I’ve been told. I don’t know if our Walmart Carries the Durango battery though.

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
East Penn, who I don't recall hearing of, is apparently the 3rd US auto battery maker.

Don

·
Registered
787 Posts
Lots of good info here;

I bought the OEM bracket to allow for the installation of the larger H8 sized battery vs. the stock H7 sized battery. Just make sure whichever AGM battery you get, that it is vented on one side to work with the OEM vent hose setup or you will have to plug the second vent port.

Here are my thoughts on the switch to the larger size H8 battery, and yes I went with the AutoZone DuraLast battery;

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the input, I think I will go with the DuraLast its made by Johnson controls and about $70 less than mopar, Its a little more than the walmart but I have a gift card i got for Christmas from Auto zone :)

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
vrod:
It never hurts to ask if they will price match. AZ has done that for me. They won't let you use a coupon and match, it's pick the one that gives you the best deal.

Don

·
Registered
2022 Durango R/T TnG - Ordered 11/12/21
38 Posts
I've had good luck with Duralast and Champion. Autozone's warranty coverage on the Duralast is great, so definitely can't complain there. We just put a Champion into my wife's Cherokee since Autozone didn't have anything in stock, so we'll see how that works out.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I replaced the battery in my 2014 just before Thanksgiving Holiday....with mileage at 140K. I upgraded also to the H8 size but went with the Walmart brand...same CCA/warranty but less coin. Its most likely made by the same company that supplies AutoZone. Just make sure you use an AGM type battery like the OEM installed Mopar battery since its located within the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just ordered the bracket the h7 &h8 are the same price so think switching out the bracket for a little bigger battery will be worth the $8 bracket :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
That is the way to go, get the bracket and upgrade to the H8 size. I have the Duralast H8 AGM Platinum with 900 CCA. My original OEM battery was 6 years old with 122K miles when it was replaced after a "marginal" rating during a load test.

I know that Walmart's Everstart Maxx batteries are often mentioned, but I've been disappointed by the life of those batteries. I've never made it past four years in my non-Durango vehicles with that battery. For the price, I suppose they are decent, but I've had better longevity with Duralast batteries.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
FYI the same manufacturer supplies both Autozone Duralast batteries and Walmart's Everstart Maxx batteries...Clarios...who bought Johnson Controls back in 2019.
Note the Everstart Maxx H8 AGM is also 900 CCA and visually identical to the Duralast....same warranty too...as they are the same battery!

The battery brands made by Clarios:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had excellent luck, believe it or not, with Walmart Everstart batteries. Always had great luck with DieHards back when Sears sold them. Same with Interstate - I got 12 years out of the last Interstate deep cycle I used for a boat trolling motor, and for the flatbed trailer winch for when I have to tow new cars to my shop, or to the dealer lol.

As mentioned, there are only 3 manufacturers of automotive lead-acid batteries in the US, so going OE here is a colossal waste of money.

One thing I'll say from experience, steer clear of AGM or lithium in automotive applications unless the manufacturer built the vehicle with such battery. Most charging systems aren't designed for the slightly higher voltages of an AGM or the completely different charge characteristics of a lithium. Both times I've tried each (lithium in a dual-sport motorcycle converted from a dirt bike) ended in failure. Spent $300 on an Odyssey AGM for my Silverado. Didn't even get 6 years out of it! Was extremely disappointed to say the least. We normally get at least 8 years out of lead acid batteries in older (80's to 90's) fuel injected cars & trucks. I also have an AGM specific 4-stage charger that I frequently used on the truck to make sure it was getting charged properly, at least once in a while. A regular Joe probably would've got 4 years max out of that one. I never abused the battery, either. Never ran my dual compressors unless the engine was running. Only the radio when the key was off, but never until the battery was even close to getting low.

The replacement battery was the new DieHard Gold that Advance Auto is now carrying. Hopefully it's still as good as when Sears sold them. We'll see. Just FYI, at the time of purchase (about 13 months ago), SpeedPerks was the only discount I could use.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Being proactive, replacing tires in sets in their 5th year and batteries in their 5th or 6th year will make your life happier, todays’ electronics like the correct voltage all the time, invariably on trips, cars show up on the side of the road with back tires flat that we’re too old but still had tread left.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Battery life depends heavily on climate. In Phoenix, AZ where it regularly gets up and stays in the triple digits for months on end, 3 years is the average. Up here in MA, we average double that, if not more. I average 8. No need to replace a battery that is still providing at least close to its advertised cranking amperage. The alternator should provide the modules with their necessary amperage. The battery is just a buffer, unless the vehicle is parked engine off.

Tires are also very climate dependent as far as age goes. Heat, UV, and ozone are rubber killers, and Phoenix has all 3 in abundance. You can find 30 year old and older cars in absolutely beautiful, rust-free condition, but every rubber component will have gone to hell. Tires, weatherstripping, engine seals, and usually interior plastic as well. Up here in MA it's not uncommon to see people driving on 12 year old tires. I'd never attempt half that in Phoenix.

Me personally, my driving style wears tires out long before they age out. I like to replace them just before they're to the wear bars. I usually sell them and offer free mount & balance for people that can't afford new ones, but need to pass inspection.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
1,390 Posts
Yup, you're exactly right about Phoenix.

Reactions: Smitty73
1 - 20 of 21 Posts