Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went from a 98D to a 2014D and I just recently learned that the battery is now located under the passengers seat. I guess this started on the Gen 3's in 2011.
I just have to post this on the forum because I would have felt like an idiot if I spent hours searching for it during a breakdown or emergency. I know this will quickly fall down in the active topics but someone may search on it in the future.
This video is a very lame to anyone who has ever changed a battery on a car, but it may help someone who is doing it for the first time.
Remember ** always disconnect negative first (the minus sign) and always connect positive first (the plus sign) ** - [spoken from a man - myself - who has had a battery blow up in his face.]

Swampy

Reactions: chromedout

·
Registered
542 Posts
Seems odd to see a battery below the passenger seat but it works!

Thanks Swampfox...always good to know...! And I agree...if anyone searches maybe they'll find this.

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT, 392 Hemi, Eibach Coils, 22" Hellcat Reps, Corsa Exhaust
623 Posts
I do think the battery being inside is a good idea, just not sure I like having to partially remove the seat to get it out. Hopefully, it will last longer and be leak free longer because it's not exposed to the elements. It also helps lower the center of gravity, which is always a plus on an suv.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
it is an odd place, my challenger has the battery in the trunk, next to spare tire... Their is a spot in the engine compartment PDC to allow jump starting, both a positive and negative port.

·
Super Moderator
12,824 Posts
The starting battery is generally moving out from under the hood.. There is not much space there as the noses become shorter, and underhood is not a very hospitable place for a battery anyway..

This is not new..

My older brother's first car (in high school) was a '69 VW Fastback.. and the combination of someone forgetting to put the plastic cover over the positive terminal on the under-the-rear-seat battery, and an overly weighty person sitting on that side of the rear seat, caused a bit of commotion ;)

Reactions: NumberThree

·
Registered
62 Posts
BMWs have had this setup for a number of years as well. It may not seem like much, but it does help with weight distribution too.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
These batteries are huge I am sure they do provide a lot of ballast
STEVE

·
Registered
242 Posts
Battery related question: I've installed and removed my fair share of batteries over the years, and had already heard that ours in the Gen 3 D was under the seat. When I went to install my Hypertech, I decided to unhook the negative terminal just to be safe during install. I couldn't for the life of me get the negative cable off. Is there some trick? The clamp is not one I've seen before, but how complicated could it be? The bolt loosened easily and I could move the clamp back and forth but no way was it coming up and off the post. What's the secret, or am I missing something? Didn't see anything in the owners manual... Thanks.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
Not sure when I loosened mine it lifted off quite easily
STEVE

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Since this thread lasted longer than I thought it would and talks about location of battery, I will share the story of the battery exploding in my face. The car was a 77 MGB and the battery was located just beneath the deck behind the bucket seats (in the center of the vehicle for those who are interested in weight distribution.) I had just charged the battery (so it was already in an "excited" state) and I installed the negative post first. When I installed the positive post, my wrench came in contact with the body frame while it was touching the positive post. BOOM! Had chemicals all over my face because I was leaning between the seats with my head directly above the battery. Fortunately I was wearing glasses and I washed everything off straight away. The top of the battery separated but other than the spray, there were no injuries from shrapnel. My t-shirt was a total loss and the carpet on the deck was history. I considered myself extremely lucky and learned a lesson I shan't forget.

The good thing is that in the Durango, the battery sits in a plastic (or equivalent) storage box and the negative post is the first one you encounter when removing it and the last to go on while installing.

Now you know why it was designed that way.

Swampy

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
Wow that could have went a whole lot worse
Glad you were ok
STEVE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts