Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had this problem? We have a new 2015 Durango limited (6 Cyl AWD with the Tow Package). We noticed a smell through the heating system that reminds me of engine coolant or some other synthetic solution. We've only had the vehicle a few weeks and it's been there the whole time. The two times that we've had to brake hard, the smell has gotten really strong. It was so strong that the smell was still present after we parked the vehicle for over an hour.

I'm bringing it to the dealer tomorrow to be looked at. But, I am already anticipating the 'we didn't find the problem' response. Any ideas on what the possible causes could be? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Coolant overflow too high and coming out the top, or maybe washer fluid coming out of cap?

·
Registered
45 Posts
is the odor inside the vehicle or outside?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is the odor inside the vehicle or outside?
It comes into the vehicle through the heating vents. If I get out of the vehicle I can smell it to.

Hard to tell, but it seemed to happen tonight when I pressed hard on the brake while already at a stop so I don't think it's coolant or wiper fluid sloshing out. I also checked the engine compartment and didn't see any visible smoking.

·
Registered
45 Posts
hmm you know this might sound strange on a new car but check to make sure the brake fluid cap is on tight, maybe when they installed/serviced it they didn't put it on the right way.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If it happens when sitting still, I've gotta ask... Have you tried having someone press the brake hard while you're watching the engine bay to see if there's anything obvious happening?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked in the engine compartment and wasn't able to tell where it was coming from. No signs of visible smoke, hard to pinpoint the source of the smell. Admittedly, I didn't do it with help so never while I was on the brake.

Quick update, I just drove home from the dealer in my little rental Hyundai. While there, the tech took a ride in the Durango with me and for the first few minutes (of course) we couldn't replicate the problem. But after a couple hard stops and little bit of driving the smell came pouring in. The tech said 'yup...that's coolant'. We took it back to the dealership and the tech said they'd look to see where it was coming from. The rep grabbed me a few minutes later and said it's a coolant leak but they're not sure where its coming from. They will need to order parts (how do they order parts if they don't know where it's coming from?) and he's going to put me in a rental for a couple of days.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll update when the root cause is found. I think the smell when we were standing still might have been just a result of how the wind was blowing and maybe it's not related to the brake system. Could be spilling over or leaking and when I brake hard it hits the engine or exhaust and creates the smell (as you guys suspected).

Reactions: Citadel Brian

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well...I got my Durango back yesterday. It seems like the factory forgot to engage the hose clamps going to the heater core. To fix them, the dealer had to take apart the hood, wiper motor, firewall, evacuate the A/C and more.

Pretty scary...I wonder what else the factory forgot to do when they assembled my vehicle?

durango.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts