Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!

Mine is a 1998 Dodge Durango SLT V8 5.2 4WD

There is a clunking noise coming from under my D when I make a stop and also when I start driving, I thought it was one of the universal joints in my front driveshaft as the clunking noise comes from the front part of the vehicle but I went under my D and noticed that the front driveshaft spins by hand, about 1/4 of a turn. I recorded a video, can you please look at it and share your thoughts about what kind of repair I need to perform? Thanks in advance!

P.D. I have noticed other "symptoms": There is a very loud sound when I make sharp turns to the right while backing up or going forward and my front tires have a very unusual wear pattern, when I pass my hand over the shoulder it feels like "waves"

Dante

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
Hi Dante:
Welcome to DDN. How many miles/km are on your D? I agree with you that your front driveshaft has too much play. It should be maybe a quarter of an inch each way, not a quarter of a turn. I think I would get the inspection cover off of the front diff, and see what things look like. If all is well, clean it out really well, and refill with fresh synthetic gear oil. My guess is though, you are going to find signs of wear/damage.

The uneven wear on the front tires may point to worn front suspension parts, or an alignment problem. What transfer case options does your D have? Is there an AWD or FT (full time) 4x4 choice?

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dante:
Welcome to DDN. How many miles/km are on your D? I agree with you that your front driveshaft has too much play. It should be maybe a quarter of an inch each way, not a quarter of a turn. I think I would get the inspection cover off of the front diff, and see what things look like. If all is well, clean it out really well, and refill with fresh synthetic gear oil. My guess is though, you are going to find signs of wear/damage.

The uneven wear on the front tires may point to worn front suspension parts, or an alignment problem. What transfer case options does your D have? Is there an AWD or FT (full time) 4x4 choice?

Don
Hi Don!

It is 120K miles, I am taking it to a specialized shop on Monday, they do differential repairs, and I want to have some opinions to somewhat validate what they have to say. As far as the transfer case options this is what I have:

Grey Font Automotive tire Gadget Rectangle

Thank you!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello everybody!

Mine is a 1998 Dodge Durango SLT V8 5.2 4WD

There is a clunking noise coming from under my D when I make a stop and also when I start driving, I thought it was one of the universal joints in my front driveshaft as the clunking noise comes from the front part of the vehicle but I went under my D and noticed that the front driveshaft spins by hand, about 1/4 of a turn. I recorded a video, can you please look at it and share your thoughts about what kind of repair I need to perform? Thanks in advance!

P.D. I have noticed other "symptoms": There is a very loud sound when I make sharp turns to the right while backing up or going forward and my front tires have a very unusual wear pattern, when I pass my hand over the shoulder it feels like "waves"

Dante
Dante good morning
Hopefully the sound/noise you have is the same thing which was causing the noise on my Durango

Sound/noise when turning to the right going forward or reverse << I had this issue with my 03 Durango when I first purchased it. I thought it was a hub, but it wasn't. The noise was cause by all of the rust/corrosion built up on the rear rotors. It started out as a low noise, sometimes I wouldn't hear a noise for a few weeks to a couple of months. It did get louder over like 6 months when going in reverse. What I did with my rear brakes was before I installed new rotors and pads back in October
Steps I took to get ride of the noise
Getting the rotor off can be a real SOB if you do not use PB Blaster DO NOT HIT YOUR ROTORS WITH A METAL HAMMER UNLESS YOU ARE REPLACING THEM
Make sure your emergency brake is off.

1. Took the tires off
2. remove the brake caliper and brake housing
3. Lube the living life out of the rotors where it sits against rear axle assembly - wait 15 minutes or so
4. Try wiggling/pulling off the rotors - if it doesn't move hit the back side of the rotor with a RUBBER MALET ONLY -- The backside of the rotor where the dust shield is not covering the rotor (Section of the rotor where the brake housing & caliper were installed
5. Brake cleaner and a wire brush -- spray the living life of the backside of the rotor where the lug nut holes are and use a wire brush to remove the rust.
6. spray the living life of the wheel axle where the emergency brake is - DO NOT USE A WIRE BRUSH TO REMOVE THE RUST, just use brake cleaner
7. put some ant seize on the backside of the rotor where the lug nut holes are - you do not need a lot just a small coating no need to over do it
Permatex anti seize -- Aluminum or copper

Noise from your front and/or rear diff's may not be related to an actual problem but more so having old gear oil or not enough gear oil
YouTube Search replace rear diff oil -- If you do this yourself - Make sure you use Gear Oil that has Limited Slip Differential additive added to it. If not make sure you buy Limited Slip Differential additive -- Just use Mobile 1 gear oil it has limited slip additive in it

Information for which gear oil to use Use 75W-90 if you do not use a trailer Use 75W-140 if you use a trailer

As @Don Fox mentioned regarding tire wear patterns, also add in not having the correct inflation Great video that explains tire wear problems

Prior to replacing the front driveshaft on my 2003 Durango I YouTube and Google searched the living life out it so I knew what I was getting into. When Front driveshafts become so worn/shot/no good, overtime the noise(s) related to the front driveshaft for 4WD you will start to hear them when driving in 2WD
I agree with you and @Don Fox - that front driveshaft needs to replaced. My front driveshaft was completely shot and had movement like yours. The U joints and cv joint were gone.
If you decide to replace your Front driveshaft, I got my front drive shaft from Detroit Axle I looked all over before buying from Detroit Axle.

Hopefully something I mentioned is helpful/useful.
I'm not a mechanic just a DIYer that will research how to do automobile work. I research not just how to do the work, but all related issues/causes. My researching I take very serious because I have to make sure my vehicle is safe not just for me, but other passengers in vehicle, other drivers on the road, people walking, running, etc. - one mistake can have very serious consequences.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts