Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I've searched and read the discussions concerning the ABS and Brake warning lights coming on and I need help understanding if the repairs are something I can do.

The suggestions/fixes included bleeding the brakes (I can do that), changing out an ABS sensor (don't know if I can do that), and changing out a speed sensor? on the differential (don't even know where to begin looking for that).

Aside from doing the brake bleed and/or installing new pads, I am at a loss, but I don't want to throw money to a mechanic if I can pay myself to do the job.

Can you please advise? TIA

Eric

·
Super Moderator
12,824 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, tomk. I haven't noticed any malfunction of the speedometer. I can eliminate that from the list. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,612 Posts
changing out the pump is fine. a couple bolts, 2 plugs and it's off. finding a used one is the problem. you can send them out to be rebuilt or get a new one for 5bills. I replaced my pump because it wouldn't build pressure but I can't get the ABS light reset without going to a dealer. I actually brought it to a Dodge dealer near me but their reader wasn't working.

Sensors are easy. unplug and put a new one on. Rear Speed sensors can be a bitch getting out, but once you get the old one off, put the new one on and plug it in.

are there symptoms or just the light?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Where is the ABS module in the Durango and can it not be unplugged to turn a light out....that is if ABS is not a system you rely on. I know the older Dodge trucks you could simply unplug the ABS module and never have to worry about that stupid little light again.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Not sure where the CAB is on my 99, but had it changed out and it finally eliminated the brake dash lights, I went thru the easy stuff first, then placed a business card on dash to block the lights for a couple years until trans went in for rebuild, I had the dealer fix the CAB issues. the rwss is simple to fix and OK to get to. I backed the rear up on my ramp stands and sat down at rear diff to pull out sensor, 10 minutes tops...

·
Premium Member
5,612 Posts
I have 4wheel ABS and my module is next to the firewall on the drivers side. Alum case and 2 big plugs.

Unplugging it will just turn off your speedometer and throw a RWS code.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks skitzo.d - I think I can handle r/r of the pump, that sounds easy enough. The rear sensor, now that could be a chore, I'm not good with tight spaces, I break things. LOL

There are no symptoms thank goodness. Just the lights every now and again. I did top of the brake fluid and noticed is was dark so I think I'll be flushing the lines in the near future. The speedo is not affected and the tranny shifts fine, so I think this gremlin is mainly an electrical shorting somewhere.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sure like that idea cj360trider, I'd rather not deal with it. I never complained about the old style braking system and I rarely locked up the brakes (had a couple issues on wet pavement) and with experience comes competence. Who needs ABS anyway?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool beans dizzyD. How much did the CAB work cost?

I understand that Dodge had a helluva time with early ABS stuff. I hope all the rebuilt parts are better than the original issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
skitzo.d - YIKES! I don't want to turn off my speedo. What's an RWS code?

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Cool beans dizzyD. How much did the CAB work cost?

I understand that Dodge had a helluva time with early ABS stuff. I hope all the rebuilt parts are better than the original issue.
In 2009 timeframe, it was just over 500 from dealer, Part and install. (They didn't do much to match the original setup my D was shipped with, but it works correctly)But this was also discounted as I had 2 other jobs done at the same time, I think I heard 600-650 was the typical charge.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll have to go to the dealer and have them check it all out. I went to my mechanic and he couldn't read the codes because the warning lights were off at the time. He said he can only check it when the lights are on. He also mentioned that the ABS system does not keep a history of the codes like a PCM/OBDII does. No matter what, I think it's time to go to the dealer. I hate to, being that they charge so much, but what else am I to do?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts