Dodge Durango Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,739 Posts
As far as "tall" vs "short" - think of a runner. A "tall" runner (with long legs) goes farther with fewer strides (RPM) than a "short" runner.

At least that's how my dad explained it to me when I was about 8 years old ;)

...tom

(attached: Dad about 6 years before I was born, back to camera in Khaki.. with his and his peeps' race car, circa 1952.. before he met "Mom" :cool: )
(he's scratching his head, which I've been known to do at Durango get-togethers...)

Attachments

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
You do Scratch your head...guess it could be worse some scratch their (BEEEEEEEPPP!)
STEVE

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello gents. I'm Charlie. I've got a 15 durango r/t. Diff case recently exploded so im looking to upgrade. Ive been reading this discussion and wondering if anyone has changed gears from stock yet? Im thinking of getting a new case and new 3.45 gears or possibly 3.92s haha. Anyone done this yet?

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
@C595:
How many miles on your Durango, and is it RWD or AWD?

Don

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
Being RWD is nice, because you don't have a front differential to be concerned with. With the odo at 59K, what is your in service date? Your D, being a '15, has a 5 yr 100K powertrain warranty. You may be able to get it fixed for $100 at the dealer.

Don

·
Registered
13 Posts
Being RWD is nice, because you don't have a front differential to be concerned with. With the odo at 59K, what is your in service date? Your D, being a '15, has a 5 yr 100K powertrain warranty. You may be able to get it fixed for $100 at the dealer.

Don
Man thanks for that info man, I'll check with the dealer! thanks again

·
Registered
13 Posts
So my 5 yrs is up so warranty will not cover. I want to buy a new carrier assembly (mine blew up), and new gears (something better than what i had stock 3.09).

Anyone have the part number for the stock carrier assembly so I can search for it? And what do i need to check when buying gears? how do i know if the gears will fit in assembly? any help is greatly appreciated, Im loosing my mind over this lol i need help

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
Well:
It was worth looking into anyway. The easiest way to get it back on the road, would be to pick up a used, low mile axle assembly from a salvage yard, and swap it in. I see your post asking about the 4.11 gear. Since that ratio was not offered as an oem option, you may have trouble getting the speedometer to read correctly. The trans may not shift correctly either as the rpms are going to come up quite a bit sooner than the systems will expect.

If you can get it to work, I think it would wake your D up a fair amount. First gear will probably be useless, as the trans will likely spend little to no time there because the overall ratio will be quite low. It'll be a stump puller!

Don

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yea your right man , too much of a headache . I found an assembly with 3.45 that should bolt on . Guess I’m going with that. Also found 3.92 diff from dsrt but wayyy over my budget haha. Thanks for feedback

41 - 54 of 54 Posts