Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I don't know why Dodge stopped offering optional gear ratios, but wish they would go back to offering them.
1st gen standard rear end was a 3.55 with a 3.92 optional as well as Trac-Lok. I think 2nd gen that was also the case?

Now its just one gear ratio depending upon engine, and not even a limited slip option.

I know we have ESC, but that does not replace a limited slip rear..it just cuts the power.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
All true, however comparing a Gen 1 or even 2 to the 14'-15' Gen 3's is like comparing an Atari to an XBox. I have driven a 13' and it Definitely could benefit from an optional ratio. The 8 speed nailed that problem so not as important to address.imo

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
I have that optional ratio!
Also a tid bit of information to save yourselves some embarrasment
STOCK FOR STOCK DON'T RACE AN 08 or 09 HEMI DURANGO with your Gen 3...YOU WILL LOSE
THEY WERE 390HP same as RAM TRUCKS AND HAD REAL TALL GEARS IN AXLES 9000lb plus towing capacity
STEVE

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Why would they put "Really Tall" gears in with 9000lb.tow capacity? They were obviously built for towing..Their fuel economy sucks real bad anyway.

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
STOCK FOR STOCK DON'T RACE AN 08 or 09 HEMI DURANGO with your Gen 3...YOU WILL LOSE
THEY WERE 390HP same as RAM TRUCKS AND HAD REAL TALL GEARS IN AXLES 9000lb plus towing capacity
STEVE
What about the 07? I thought that statement was true also for the 07 when they did the front end refresh?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
By Tall, I'm assuming he meant a numerically high number. Which would be short, or low gears.

I could be wrong with my assumption, though.

Turborusty

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
By Tall, I'm assuming he meant a numerically high number. Which would be short, or low gears.

I could be wrong with my assumption, though.

Turborusty
You're correct... A tall gear is lower ..ie...2.90 vs.a 3.90..… the 2.90 is the taller gear.(more top end and slower out of the hole). But better fuel economy since engine RPM is lower.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
D Tan the standard gears were 3:55 the optionals were the 3:92
The 07 if I remember correctly boasted 370 hp but I could be wrong
earlier Hemis has 335 hp or something like that
Sorry Gents they used real SHORT High ratio gears
YES THEY TOWED LIKE MONSTERS and got CRAP GAS MILEAGE
STEVE

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
D Tan the standard gears were 3:55 the optionals were the 3:92
The 07 if I remember correctly boasted 370 hp but I could be wrong
earlier Hemis has 335 hp or something like that
Sorry Gents they used real SHORT High ratio gears
YES THEY TOWED LIKE MONSTERS and got CRAP GAS MILEAGE
STEVE
:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?...SHORT High gears???? That's a "New" term I've never heard in my years. I'm old school..gears are either "Low" or High" ratio in reference to ring & pinion. Thus being said..Low = higher number ,and High = lower number.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
STEVE
Are you sure about that?
I think the Hemi upgrade didn't happen until 2009 and then it was rated I think 365hp in the D.
With the towing 3.92 rear gears/5 speed it would be a good race with a '14/'15 R/T.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Are you sure about that?
I think the Hemi upgrade didn't happen until 2009 and then it was rated I think 365hp in the D.
With the towing 3.92 rear gears/5 speed it would be a good race with a '14/'15 R/T.
3.92 rear end ratio is very low Factory ratio without an OD, and WOULD give us a run for the money until the upper end of the rpm range, GOOD RACE!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
3.92 rear end ratio is very low ratio and WOULD give us a run for the money until the upper end of the rpm range, GOOD RACE!!!
My '13 Ram had the 3.92's and it was a peppy little thing, even with no mods. I wish I could know for sure the HP rating of my 07. Now I've heard 3- 330, 370, and 390. Any way I can definitively find out? Could Chrysler Care or whoever that is know this?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
What, did you read that on the internet? :cool:
Why yes I did.
Hard to find any actual tests of 2009 and up D's.
But it looks like the Hybrid had the highest HP, but looks like a tall rear end for FE.
The test I found of that did not break into the 15's.
So far, the R/T 2wd 8-speed seems to hold the quickest title with a 6.5 sec. 0-60 time per C&D.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
When we visited plant in 09 they were showing us a presentation boasting 390 hp
I will say the Hybrids WERE BEAST
Too Bad they didnt last HEMI HYBRID has a nice ring to it
STEVE

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
According to Allpar, it was 335hp/370tq.
Dodge Durango for 2007 (with hybrid trucks)
How can I trust that place? They don't even mention that the Night Runner package was available. Maybe I will start tying horses to the hitch, and when they finally out-pull the D I'll know the final number. Now, where am I going to find 391 horses? Ah, right! The Anheuser-Busch brewery!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When we visited plant in 09 they were showing us a presentation boasting 390 hp
I will say the Hybrids WERE BEAST
Too Bad they didnt last HEMI HYBRID has a nice ring to it
STEVE
The D must have a tighter engine bay than the Rams so they have intake and exhaust restrictions?
Or maybe they assume a truck owner will put up with more engine noise so they are less restricted.
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me why the pretty large spread in HP between platforms.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts