Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm browsing several new D'd on my local lot and when you look in detail at the features, the HEMI Citadels are all listed with the 3.45 axle ratio.........but the R/T's are listed as having 3.09. is this correct?

Doesn't seem right to me.

Turborusty

·
Super Moderator
12,739 Posts
I think that's wrong.

I looked at some window stickers online and didn't see any mention of axle ratio.. maybe I have to look harder..

AFAIK it is still true that the 5.7L gets the 3.09 and the 3.6L gets the 3.45, no matter what the trim.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
14 -15 ALL V8 got 3:09
11-13 ALL V8 Got 3:45

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet. Another reason to prefer my '13. :)

Odd though, that their listing their '15 Citadels with 3.45's

Turborusty

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
Turbo Valid point although the FINAL RATIO between an 11-13 and a 14-15 are nearly Identical. The 8 Speed has such a low first and second if it were to have 3:45 it would wind out screaming
STEVE

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew someone would bring that up.......but when all else equals out, I can up the ante and say...."I have the performance axle ratio, so, neener neener neener".

In a world where we're forced to be adults, sometimes it's the only appropriate response. :)

Turborusty

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I knew someone would bring that up.......but when all else equals out, I can up the ante and say...."I have the performance axle ratio, so, neener neener neener".

In a world where we're forced to be adults, sometimes it's the only appropriate response. :)

Turborusty
Yeah, until you line up against the 8-speed.
Heck, the V6 might give you guys a run..LOL!

But seriously I've said that I wish the 3.45 rear gear was standard on the R/T to give it a performance boost over the over trims, but I do understand the R/T is about the total package and would probably require re-certifying the truck by Chrysler.
That said, I'm waiting for someone to swap a set into a Hemi and see what the results are.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, until you line up against the 8-speed.
Heck, the V6 might give you guys a run..LOL!

But seriously I've said that I wish the 3.45 rear gear was standard on the R/T to give it a performance boost over the over trims, but I do understand the R/T is about the total package and would probably require re-certifying the truck by Chrysler.
That said, I'm waiting for someone to swap a set into a Hemi and see what the results are.
Oh, I've driven 3 of the V6 8-spds and contend that stock for stock the V6 was nearly as fast as my HEMI 6-spd. Not so after some mild mods..... :)

Turborusty

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Stock axle ratio in a Citadel is the 3.45 because stock it comes with the V6. Hemi 3.09
Stock ratio in RT is 3.09 cause Hemi is standard equip.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
And the thread digress's again.
Some of you know nothing of what you speak only what you read on the Net! and maybe a brochure
The gear Ratios were the topic here.
STEVE

·
Registered
506 Posts
I think it had already digressed. Lol! But Steve, I did drive a 13 RT before I drove the 14 and it was like night and day. I could have save $10 k by buying the 13, but I would have never been happy with it. Too sluggish off the line.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
As long as your happy that is all that matters
STEVE

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Oh, I've driven 3 of the V6 8-spds and contend that stock for stock the V6 was nearly as fast as my HEMI 6-spd. Not so after some mild mods..... :)

Turborusty
I believe that.
Same with the V6 300 vs the early Hemi 300's.
On paper the V6 8 speed was as fast..but off the line the V6 is lacking the Hemi Tq.
I think the Hemi gets its nose out front because of that Tq advantage and holds on to it...pulling away once winding out 3rd.
Or so I hear.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
I am. But seriously, you shouldn't just dismiss someone by saying they don't know what their talking about, just because you don't like what they say, Bro.
I don't dismiss anyone. I think I am pretty fair. There are a ton of you that bank everything you have on what you read on the net and in magazines. Read some old articles they read the same exact way. I will even tell you this and of course you wont believe it because you read on paper that a Gen 1 R/T only had 235HP(at the crank) 360, well they will give any 11-15 stock for stock a run for the money.
I wish I could have a 2wd D like yours but winters would suck. I actually contemplated it that way I could have 10% less power loss thru drivetrain.
These magazine test are all jaded test that manufacturers pay to join, vehicles are modded without the media knowing...trust me. The object is to sell vehicles!
Now your test ride in the 13, that is real world and you are right the 8 speed feels much faster(FEELS like night and day) It Does feel better. I will tell you my wifes 5 speed Charger R/T feels better than the 5,6 or 8 speed D
We are talking 1/10ths of seconds here, yes measureable but really minute amounts. WHats funny is to go back and read the articles on the 12 Durango R/t and then read the Articles on the 13 R/T. Its almost a funny read, Identical in almost every way they say the 13 is so much faster. its quite humorous. Even better Read the article where the HYUNDAI santa fe outperformed the 14 Durango in all but the 1/4 mile drag race...really. Same with the test that ranked the Honda CRV as SUV of the YEAR...Now That is Funny
I would not dismiss anyone and will offer to help anyone here as much as I can.
Come join us at a meet this year and get to know us better.
ENJOY YOUR D!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
^^^Well said.
There is no doubt that often I believe the manufacture supplied test vehicles are not stock..especially when a mag. wants to do a shoot-out between brands.

So who is going to be first to swap in the 3.45's into a Hemi 8-speed?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree, FastD. My '13 felt dog slow and choked to death before doing any mods. I was seriously disappointed that I had a brand new HEMI and it was not impressive in the least.....but even simple mods made a HUGE difference.
I came from an '03 Durango R/T and it sure as heck felt a lot more powerful than 250HP! The 3.92 gearing helped, but with a 5100 lb. brick, AWD, and 285/60/17 tires....it had a lot stacked against it, but it was not slow by any means. :) 12MPG all day but as reliable as you could ever ask for....and towed WAY more than it was ever rated for.

Turborusty

1 - 20 of 54 Posts