Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am looking at a 2015 Citadel with a 5.7 hemi. It has 90,000 miles which doesn’t concern me too much, but when I test drove it today the AWD low range would do nothing when rotated.

I tried everything I could think of to get it to swi to low range: neutral, slow roll forward, slow roll back ward, park, and even walked away and waited ten minutes and tried it all again.
When I rotate the switch there is no acknowledgement on the DiD.
Is this a known or common issue? Should I run away from the Durango?
Thanks for helping, I have a 2007 wi th a 5.7 and about 185k miles and I love it - just looking to upgrade to a little newer rig.
Kevin

·
Registered
423 Posts
It should engage with the transmission in neutral. Did you hear any clicking?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should engage with the transmission in neutral. Did you hear any clicking?
No clicking at all. I had my wife sit in it and shift int low range while running and there was no noise.
I had her shift the trans and it sounded good. But no noise at all for low range. Almost as if the switch was unplugged

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
Grumpy:
The shift motor harness may have been unplugged. Some folks have had issues with their T case engaging 4 low by itself. I would look further into this before you pull the trigger. Or, have it evaluated by an independent party, and use the report as a bargaining tool.

Don

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good advice Don! When switching to low range, there should be a message on the dash for further instruction too. Keep us posted 👍🏻

·
Registered
491 Posts
Who owned the car before?

My wife would, once or twice, go to turn the shifter and end up turning the AWD knob.

It’s entirely possible that the PO simply unplugged the knob to prevent something like that from happening accidentally. I did something similar with unplugging the harnesses for the power rear seats in our Pacifica to keep my kids from messing with them.

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
The shift knob thing is one of the few things I dislike about newer vehicles today. We had a '19 Fusion Hybrid rental not long ago, and I was not liking the control "knob." The hybrid system was neat to watch, and the 45 mpg was more than anything I have owned, but the lack of performance was uninspiring.

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grumpy:
The shift motor harness may have been unplugged. Some folks have had issues with their T case engaging 4 low by itself. I would look further into this before you pull the trigger. Or, have it evaluated by an independent party, and use the report as a bargaining tool.

Don
Thank you, that is good advice. Do you know where the shift motor harness is located on a 2015 citadel? If it is simply unplugged then I could plug it back in and see what happens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who owned the car before?

My wife would, once or twice, go to turn the shifter and end up turning the AWD knob.

It’s entirely possible that the PO simply unplugged the knob to prevent something like that from happening accidentally. I did something similar with unplugging the harnesses for the power rear seats in our Pacifica to keep my kids from messing with them.
i could look to see if it is just this simple, wonder if they unplugged at the knob or at the motor controller. I will ask if I can pop the shift knob up from the console Or, is there maybe a fuse??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i could look to see if it is just this simple, wonder if they unplugged at the knob or at the motor controller. I will ask if I can pop the shift knob up from the console Or, is there maybe a fuse??
Manual says fuse F94 is a 10 amp fuse for the transfer case control module. I can give it a squint to check if it is burnt or removed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you guys, it is going to the dealer for diagnosis. Will see if it a minor issue or not.
I also noted today that grey smoke came out of the exhaust on cold start. Just for a couple seconds but was grey smoke, not condensation/ steam. I will ask about that as well

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you guys, it is going to the dealer for diagnosis. Will see if it a minor issue or not.
I also noted today that grey smoke came out of the exhaust on cold start. Just for a couple seconds but was grey smoke, not condensation/ steam. I will ask about that as well
After a little research here, I see the Durango just got serviced, I bet it is a little over full on oil. Not a big deal probably as the engine is quiet and runs strong. If I buy it I can check the dipstick part number. Thank you all

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the AWD was unplugged at the switch, and the oil is over full due to the wrong dipstick and a heavy pour.
No big issues

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
1,700 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong..but from your original post it seemed you were considering buying this Durango and hadn't actually done it. But later posts seem to indicate you had already bought it and would need to return it to the dealer? Which is it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correct me if I'm wrong..but from your original post it seemed you were considering buying this Durango and hadn't actually done it. But later posts seem to indicate you had already bought it and would need to return it to the dealer? Which is it?
I am considering buying it through Carvana. They give you the car for a 7 day period where you can decide to keep it or return it. I am working within those 7 days I have to tell them today if I do not want the vehicle.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Well, the AWD was unplugged at the switch, and the oil is over full due to the wrong dipstick and a heavy pour.
No big issues
Yep, figured.

It would have been much better if that switch had some kind of lockout to prevent accidental turning. Unplugging the switch is the easiest way to prevent an accidental engagement.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am considering buying it through Carvana. They give you the car for a 7 day period where you can decide to keep it or return it. I am working within those 7 days I have to tell them today if I do not want the vehicle.
I was wondering this also. I thought you were buying it from a traditional dealer that’s why I made the comment I did. Glad you got it fixed. Hopefully if you do buy it you can get carvana to pay for your service fee at the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was wondering this also. I thought you were buying it from a traditional dealer that’s why I made the comment I did. Glad you got it fixed. Hopefully if you do buy it you can get carvana to pay for your service fee at the dealer.
Carvana gives you an automatic short term warranty of 100 days or 4,189 miles. The repairs are covered by that warranty so I am not out any cash yet other than purchasing insurance for the car.
This is a strange time and weird way to buy a car. But so far it has been really convenient. The business model of hauling a car to a qualified buyer and giving them 7 days to confirm the purchase doesn’t seem like a good idea. But it must be working
The wife and I will make the final decision today and if we do nothing then the deal moves forward, if we decide against buying the car then we can call, text, or e-mail today and they will come get it for no charge. Not even a delivery fee. Or I can choose a different car in their inventory and they will swap it and start the 7 days again. I think they limit it to two swaps.
As a first experience with this process I didn’t trust it, but now it seems alright.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts