Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone upgraded the front and rear gears of an AWD R/T to something other than the 3.09? I'm slowly making my way into a Durango and build the mod list before getting the truck. :)

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
Ekaz:
Your choices for gearsets may be somewhat limited. In my view, going from 3.09 to 3.45 is not much of a change versus the costs. Unless you can find a totaled low mile D to buy the axle assemblies out of, or DIY the swap, you are looking at $2-2.5K for parts and labor. If I was gonna spend that much coin, I think going to 3.70ish would be the minimum. If available, going as deep as 3.90 or 4.10 might have you higher in the rpm band than you want at highway speeds.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went from 3.09's to 3.55's in my 300 and I noticed the difference. As for the D, figured it would pep it up a bit. I have the 3.73s in my Jeep now and with the 8 speed, not too much of an RPM hit at highway speeds. I do all my own work so labor isn't an issue. I've already been looking at cams and swapping in some 6.1 heads I have in the garage. :)
Chase, you have an AWD? You swap both diffs?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Jeep Grand Cherokee uses the same diff.
That is where my 3.45 came from. Lots of wrecked JGC's out there.
From what I can tell the '14+ JGC V6 4x2 model uses a 225mm rear differential with the 3.45 gear ratio. That should be able to be swapped into the 225mm rear differential in the V8 that came with the 3.09 gear ratio. Rather than open the case, you maybe able to just swap the whole unit.

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/2014/2014_wk2_specifications.pdf

Now in 2016 the rear differential was upgraded to the 230mm unit in all but the V6 4x4 models, but the 4x2 V6 gear set was also changed from 3.45 to 3.27

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/2016/2016_wk2_specifications.pdf

Now for the'14 Durango they do not make the distinction or note a difference between the 4x4 and 4x2 V6 rear differentials - odd since both vehicles are made on the same assembly line and you would think that they would both use the same differentials in the 4x2 V6 vehicles - but stranger things have happened.

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/43817134/2014-dodge-durango-technical-specifications.pdf

·
Registered
169 Posts
Do you think its a mistake that my build sheet for my 2015 RT list 230 mm rear? The pdf I found from FCA lists the 225mm which matches what the WK2 pdf.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I'm pretty sure the rear is 230mm both 3.09 and 3.45 from 2012 - 2017 at least on 2wd which mine is.
Also the rear axles are the same for both as well which further shows they are interchangeable.
It sure looks the same, but I have not had time to install as my friends lift is tied up with an old Vette.
I'm checking with a couple local shops on install so might just go that route.
I don't feel like doing the swap on the garage floor with jack stands....done that before and no thanks.

If you have AWD, I think the easiest route would be the Jeep SRT 3.70's but I bet you also need axles and maybe the hubs too.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty sure the rear is 230mm both 3.09 and 3.45 from 2012 - 2017 at least on 2wd which mine is.
Also the rear axles are the same for both as well which further shows they are interchangeable.
It sure looks the same, but I have not had time to install as my friends lift is tied up with an old Vette.
I'm checking with a couple local shops on install so might just go that route.
I don't feel like doing the swap on the garage floor with jack stands....done that before and no thanks.

If you have AWD, I think the easiest route would be the Jeep SRT 3.70's but I bet you also need axles and maybe the hubs too.
Jeep SRT has the electronic LSD, would that pose an issue? Might have to get the gear set swapped. I still have plenty of time to research that.

·
Registered
706 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Durango RT AWD
40 Posts
Has anyone upgraded the front and rear gears of an AWD R/T to something other than the 3.09? I'm slowly making my way into a Durango and build the mod list before getting the truck. :)
Did you ever get to do the swap?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts