Dodge Durango Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
I am still curious why Dodge puts such low payload rating on the door sticker of the Tow N Go. 1200lbs seems way off. I have escalated the question with Dodge customer service and they should be getting back to me in the next few days.
I tried that already. The employee (Jonathan D Sanders) agreed with me that real payload is calculated: GVWR minus curb weight; but stopped short of agreeing with me that real payload capacity is 1,700 lbs with the 5.7 (curb weight of 5,400 lbs)

He kept referring me to the 720 lb TW even though I never asked anything about towing.

Either way, GAWR will be your limiting factor towing a TT.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I tried that already. The employee (Jonathan D Sanders) agreed with me that real payload is calculated: GVWR minus curb weight; but stopped short of agreeing with me that real payload capacity is 1,700 lbs with the 5.7 (curb weight of 5,400 lbs)

He kept referring me to the 720 lb TW even though I never asked anything about towing.

Either way, GAWR will be your limiting factor towing a TT.
Thanks for the info. I will be fine either way. Just curious why the default to the standard 1200lb payload instead of advertising the higher, more attractive and industry competitive calculated payload. My camper is only 4300lb dry. Approx 600 on the tongue with my WDH.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will be fine either way. Just curious why the default to the standard 1200lb payload instead of advertising the higher, more attractive and industry competitive calculated payload. My camper is only 4300lb dry. Approx 600 on the tongue with my WDH.
No idea. The media material only shows SRT with the accurate measurement. (7100 - 5510 = 1590).

I imagine TNG payload would be reduced to around 1600 lbs, similar to SRT because of the extra weight from the 10” wide wheels.

1E16F9D2-03C5-4EBD-AF29-7525431CBDE6.png

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey everyone, I was searching around the internet regarding this exact issue. I just traded in my 2014 R/T AWD with tow package for the new 2021 R/T AWD with the Tow N Go package.

I don’t understand how the payload capacity doesn’t reflect the calculations listed above.

I know payload capacities can change based upon options selected in the vehicle. However, with this Durango tow n go package they all have AWD which is the same as the SRT.

It seems like we should have the same capacities as the SRT?

I’ll keep following along here as I am looking for the answer as well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey everyone, I was searching around the internet regarding this exact issue. I just traded in my 2014 R/T AWD with tow package for the new 2021 R/T AWD with the Tow N Go package.

I don’t understand how the payload capacity doesn’t reflect the calculations listed above.

I know payload capacities can change based upon options selected in the vehicle. However, with this Durango tow n go package they all have AWD which is the same as the SRT.

It seems like we should have the same capacities as the SRT?

I’ll keep following along here as I am looking for the answer as well.
I would think our payload would be a bit higher than the SRT due to the weight of the 6.4L monster under the hood.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I would think our payload would be a bit higher than the SRT due to the weight of the 6.4L monster under the hood.
They are both cast iron blocks, not much difference in weight. 5.7 weighs 485 lbs vs 6.4 at 500 lbs.

SRT’s added weight comes from the big brakes, adjustable suspension, wider wheels, eLSD, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Okay, so I just went to my local dodge dealer. The service guy pretty much told me to pound salt. The parts guys wanted to help me, but didn’t have the knowledge at hand.

The sales guy was familiar with the door sticker and agreed it should be higher, but didn’t know what to do. He did however, open up a 2021 Durango SRT with the $1,200 Class IV tow package. I took a picture of the sticker and will post it below. Guess what it said....Do not exceed 1,200 pounds.

So in the end I’m frustrated. Not sure where to go from here?

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
106 Posts
That is just the load limit for your vehicle, not for a towed trailer. The manual will tell you what the towing limit and tongue weight limit is.

·
Registered
425 Posts
That is just the load limit for your vehicle, not for a towed trailer. The manual will tell you what the towing limit and tongue weight limit is.
Payload is the more important number.

Tongue weight directly reduces your payload.

So if you have 1,200 lbs max payload with 870 lbs TW, then you can’t have more than 330 lbs of people & cargo inside the vehicle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Payload is the more important number.

Tongue weight directly reduces your payload.

So if you have 1,200 lbs max payload with 870 lbs TW, then you can’t have more than 330 lbs of people & cargo inside the vehicle.
Agreed...however, the formula to get payload comes from GVWR minus Curb weight. With the Durango specs and this formula we should have a door sticker of roughly 1,700 pounds.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Agreed...however, the formula to get payload comes from GVWR minus Curb weight. With the Durango specs and this formula we should have a door sticker of roughly 1,700 pounds.
You’re not going to get a straight answer from FCA.

Based on my experience towing & weighing ..You’re going to exceed rear GAWR before hitting GVWR anyway.

At around 1,400 lbs payload I’m pushing 3,900 lbs on the rear axle

61 - 78 of 78 Posts