Dodge Durango Forum banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Have to say, I was excited when the Tow N Go package was announced, but now I’m really disappointed.

It’s $5k for brakes, tires and different shocks, not even 3.70 gears.

The 8,600 lbs towing capacity is worthless without an increased GVWR / GAWR

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I will have to call dodge in morning to find out if I need to add the trailer tow group with it as it wasnt clear on it. You would think the tow N Go would have it and trailer group was if you didnt want tow n go but when I find out will let you know
Logically Tow N Go should include the items in the trailer tow group. However the order guide shows both packages as optional on the R/T with no mention of Tow N Go including the Trailer-tow Group IV items.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just talked to Dodge you have to order the trailer group package as well, so will be adding it to my order. * change * when my dealer looked at my order Class IV hitch was already on order

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Just talked to Dodge you have to order the trailer group package as well, so will be adding it to my order. * change * when my dealer looked at my order Class IV hitch was already on order
Thanks for following up. I have to say that is one perplexing decision on Dodge's part. They offer a towing focused package but leave out some of the most basic components. I'd rather pay 6 grand with it all included then to buy a package that then requires me to buy a package. It's just silly. Who in their right mind would buy the Tow N Go package without the trailer tow group? The other way around I could easily see people doing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So my order was accepted and got the vin and full print out. It had the Class IV hitch and pin in the tow n go package so Im good to go

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
So my order was accepted and got the vin and full print out. It had the Class IV hitch and pin in the tow n go package so Im good to go
OK so if you get Tow N Go no further towing options are needed (as it should be.) However if you don't get Tow N Go the trailer tow group is needed to be able to tow at all. Sound right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Do you happen to know if AWD was required for TNG?

Never mind I found it in the feature availability document:

Performance tuned AWD system (included with Tow N Go Package)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I used to think that but the new Tahoe is a big improvement. The towing features are critical to me, they seem fairly evenly matched. However the Tahoe is based on the Silverado truck chassis which makes me wonder if it is the better tow vehicle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not sure if I like the front end of the Tahoe. I would have to research but isnt this durango built on Ram Chassis so then it comes down to what feel you like better

·
Registered
764 Posts
I used to think that but the new Tahoe is a big improvement. The towing features are critical to me, they seem fairly evenly matched. However the Tahoe is based on the Silverado truck chassis which makes me wonder if it is the better tow vehicle.
Yep, Tahoe has more load carry ability for tongue weight & payload. 400 lbs higher GVWR and rear GAWR than Durango

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
Not sure if I like the front end of the Tahoe. I would have to research but isnt this durango built on Ram Chassis so then it comes down to what feel you like better
No, Durango is still unibody, not body on frame like Ram.

Rumors persist that the next Gen 4 Durango will be built on the Ram chassis, but production keeps getting delayed.

The current Gen 3 (2011-2021) shared chassis with the previous generation Mercedes GL

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thank you. That brings up the question of why Dodge reports these numbers so grossly inaccurate?
I can't completely answer the question, but Payload will vary by vehicle based on factory (and I believe Dealer) installed options. I'm not sure what curb weight is referring to: base model w/ no options? FWIW, my Payload sticker stating 1280# appears reasonable for my 2011 loaded AWD Crew w/ 5.7L and tow package. I've never weighted my D empty with a tank of gas, I weighed ready to go camping without TT hooked up. Unfortunately the weight tickets are in the camper.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Yep, Tahoe has more load carry ability for tongue weight & payload. 400 lbs higher GVWR and rear GAWR than Durango
Thank you for this info. I looked up the front and rear GAWR for the Durango R/T and the Tahoe, this is what I found:

Durango:
Front 3200
Rear 3900

Tahoe
Front 3500
Rear 4300

What implications does this have on the trailer one could select?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Thank you for this info. I looked up the front and rear GAWR for the Durango R/T and the Tahoe, this is what I found:

Durango:
Front 3200
Rear 3900

Tahoe
Front 3500
Rear 4300

What implications does this have on the trailer one could select?
GVWR is also 7,100 lbs (Durango) vs 7,500 lbs (Tahoe)

Basically means the Tahoe will be able to support a higher payload and tongue weight.

This is important when looking at travel trailers which have heavier than advertised tongue weights.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I am still curious why Dodge puts such low payload rating on the door sticker of the Tow N Go. 1200lbs seems way off. I have escalated the question with Dodge customer service and they should be getting back to me in the next few days.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I am still curious why Dodge puts such low payload rating on the door sticker of the Tow N Go. 1200lbs seems way off. I have escalated the question with Dodge customer service and they should be getting back to me in the next few days.
TNG still has the same 7,100 GVWR as non-TNG. So there is no payload increase with TNG vs a standard 5.7

The only weight limit that gets a slight increase is rear GAWR from 3,900 to 3,940 lbs

Basically you’ll be able to tow a heavier boat with TNG, but not a heavier TT

41 - 60 of 100 Posts