Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, 1st post.

I'm eagerly awaiting the 2021 RT with Tow N Go package because I want to purchase a travel trailer that has a dry weight of 5546 and a hitch weight of 515. However I am finding that Dodge lists the current Durango's payload capacity in an extremely confusing manner.

They list the payload capacity as the following for the various trims:

SXT 1380
SXT Plus 1380
GT 1360
GT Plus 1360
Citadel 1290
RT 1280
Citadel Anodized Platinum 1290
SRT 1590

My understanding is that payload capacity is the difference between the GVWR and the curb weight of the vehicle. In all cases above except for SRT, the ratings are extremely lower than I am finding. For example the GVWR per Dodge of the RT model is 7100 and the curb weight is 5176. By subtracting 5176 from 7100 the result is 1924. Yet Dodge rates payload capacity for this model as 1280. Every other trim is similar except for when I do the same calculation for the SRT model. That calculates as 7100 (GVWR)-5510 (curb weight) with the result being 1590, which is exactly what Dodge lists.

Why are Dodge's ratings all over the place? Am I incorrectly calculating the payload or unaware of some other factor that must be considered?

Finally to make matters simple how much payload capacity will the 2021 RT have with the Tow N Go package?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I was unable to find a reason when I came across this too. My 5.7 Citadel has the 7,100 GVWR with a 1,200 lbs payload sticker. I’m also trusting the GVWR - curb weight as being the accurate measurement.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Also, that tongue weight of 515 seems awfully low for a 5,546 lb travel trailer.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I didn’t doubt you posted incorrect numbers, I’m skeptical of the manufacturers number.

12-13% is the norm, advertising one under 10% seems optimistic

Edit:

Just noticed the 11’0” height. If that doesn’t include the a/c unit I think that may be too tall for the Durango to handle. Need to consider frontal area and wind.

My trailer is 10’2” and it can get blown around on the open highway. I average 9 mpg and oil temps soar to 235-250 degrees. I cannot imagine it trying to pull an extra 10” in height.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope the same, but too much more than that and most would opt for SRT instead!
The current SRT starts at $62,995, current RT starts at 44,395. That gives Dodge almost 20 grand in room between the 2 models. Pricing the Tow N Go package closer to 8 would still make the RT over 10 grand cheaper. That's what scares me and I hope is completely wrong.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That's true at the base price. However, when I built the RT with the options I wanted and the base SRT (which has a number of options) the price is much closer. I wanted to try it again but I can't build the builder on dodge.ca to work :rolleyes:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see your point. Dodge is killing me with the wait, I wish they would update the Durango build site and release some pricing and info.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Well the tow-n-go package gives the R/T the same towing capability as the SRT...so payload should also be the same as the SRT.
I believe the package will be $5-6K and probably closer to $6K.
If the package includes an E-diff as was mentioned in Dodge's intro video, then it will be worth it.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Durango Citadel; 5.7-Liter V8, Technology Group, Trailer Tow Group IV
37 Posts
Here are the recent tow calculations I did for my vehicle...

• 2015 Durango, Citadel, V8 Hemi, factory installed tow package, technology group (not sure this matters)
  • Curb Weight – 5770 pounds (measured on certified scales, full tank, minus my weight)
  • Family weight – 610 pounds (me, wife, 3 kids, and dog)

“Remaining“ cargo weight – GVWR of 7,100 minus 5770 curb weight minus 610 family equals 720 pounds (which I imagine most will be taken up by tongue weight)...so no cargo in the Durango...

If I take the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of 13,100 pounds and subtract out the curb weight of the Durango (5770lbs), the family weight (610lbs), and the tongue weight (max 720lbs for calculation sake), I end up at 6,000 remaining pounds for the trailer.

I'm shooting for a dry trailer weight around 4,500lbs so I have room for all the cargo (since it won't go in the Durango) of up to 1,500lbs

·
Registered
437 Posts
SRT owners: what does your payload door sticker say?
I was just searching this today and came across the door jam stickers for the 6.4 SRT

I found it has the same exact same 7,100 lbs GVWR/front 3,200 GAWR/ rear 3,900 lbs GAWR ratings as the 5.7

So the increased tow rating seems pointless if it can’t handle anymore weight on the axles

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Repeating what I said in my original post, can anyone offer any further insight into this?

Dodge lists the payload capacity as the following for the various Durango trims:

SXT 1380
SXT Plus 1380
GT 1360
GT Plus 1360
Citadel 1290
RT 1280
SRT 1590

My understanding is that payload capacity is the difference between the GVWR and the curb weight of the vehicle. In all cases above except for SRT, the ratings are extremely lower than I am finding. For example the GVWR per Dodge of the RT model is 7100 and the curb weight is 5176. By subtracting 5176 from 7100 the result is 1924. Yet Dodge rates payload capacity for this model as 1280. Every other trim is similar except for when I do the same calculation for the SRT model. That calculates as 7100 (GVWR)-5510 (curb weight) with the result being 1590, which is exactly what Dodge lists.

So do I trust my own payload calculations, assume Dodge posted erroneous data, or they have some other genuine reason for limiting the payload ratings that they report?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Repeating what I said in my original post, can anyone offer any further insight into this?

Dodge lists the payload capacity as the following for the various Durango trims:

SXT 1380
SXT Plus 1380
GT 1360
GT Plus 1360
Citadel 1290
RT 1280
SRT 1590

So do I trust my own payload calculations, assume Dodge posted erroneous data, or they have some other genuine reason for limiting the payload ratings that they report?
Go by GVWR - curb weight.

My payload sticker says 1,200 lbs, which I found inaccurate. What you really need to worry about is tongue weight pushing you over the rear axle GAWR of 3,900 lbs

I weighed my DD w/ TT a few days ago and GVWR came in at 6,900 lbs, but my tongue weight is in the 700-800 lb range ( manufacturer specs are 4,880 lbs with 585 tongue weight)

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Go by GVWR - curb weight.

My payload sticker says 1,200 lbs, which I found inaccurate. What you really need to worry about is tongue weight pushing you over the rear axle GAWR of 3,900 lbs

I weighed my DD w/ TT a few days ago and GVWR came in at 6,900 lbs, but my tongue weight is in the 700-800 lb range ( manufacturer specs are 4,880 lbs with 585 tongue weight)
Thank you. That brings up the question of why Dodge reports these numbers so grossly inaccurate?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey everyone here is the curremt cost for the Tow N Go package on 2021 Rt as I ordered 1 already $4995
Thank you for this info. That makes it a phenomenal deal.

How much was the R/T msrp? Even better could you possibly post your build with all of the prices?

Also what was the delivery time frame?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts