Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post to the forum.

I just bought an 04 Limited 5.7 with the infinity sound. I know it is old but it only has 76,000 miles on it and is in the best used shape I have ever seen. Pics below.

My question is one of utmost importance. I want to install an auxiliary input for an eighth inch iPod/iPhone cable in the front of the head unit near the radio. I have searched the forum and every post regarding this is before 2007. Each of the adapters recommended are no longer being made and the few that I was able to find have jumped to $100 or more. I prefer to not install an after market radio. I believe it is my slight OCD kicking in. Does anyone know of any adapters that will work with my 04 limited 5.7 with infinity sound? Please help!!!

Pic 01 ab62b96dedb74add959a41af679f26e9!20131030034038000.jpg
Pic 02 af02194db08e47aebadf902b1b69fa19!20131030034038000.jpg
Pic 03 3e5a59b6c41c4b3698ce6dc2c9d3e465!20131030034038000.jpg
Pic 04 426c714a611d484ca8bb3587c26e5b0d!20131030034038000.jpg

·
Super Moderator
12,824 Posts
shoot a pic of your radio. There were several different head units available in that vehicle..

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
Loo online for a factory radio that had more features and it will plug right in and may accomodate your ipod
STEVE

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I went ahead and purchased the PAC AAI-CHY which has two Aux inputs. This things plugs into the SAT or the VES. My factory radio is the 6-disc changer with SAT and VES and infinity sound. I hooked up the AUX and i am able to get audio from my phone through the AUX using the SAT (I had to disconnect the SAT at the receiver. I unplugged the first two connections on the left side which led to the SAT dish or antenna. I had to leave the other connection plugged because the radio would not recognize any SAT at all when I unplugged this one). The audio I am able to get is only for 5-10 seconds then the SAT channel changes to 184 or 196 and then I lose audio. I am positive I have everything set up correctly. I am not sure if I need to reset the radio, or program it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
12,824 Posts
Just a wild guess, but do you have an active Sirius subscription? the SAT side may not work without one; Ch 184 is the preview channel that the radio tunes to when the receiver isn't activated.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Sounds like your adapter is not adequately replicating the SAT signal so the radio is defaulting to trying to get the preview.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not know why I would need a SAT subscription.

The paperwork states:

"If vehicle has Factory Satellite and Video Entertainment System (VES), either one must be disconnected in order to the AAI-CHY to work properly. If vehicle has factory single disc radio and satellite, the satellite receiver must be disconnected."

I disconnected the SAT receiver in the rear of the vehicle. I was able to get the audio to play through AUX using the VES however, it would only work while a DVD was in the player and playing. This obviously caused problems as the dvd audio is playing with the AUX audio. This thing has me completely confused. I will probably post a longer more detailed explanation of what it is I have done. I have submitted an email to PAC and am waiting for a reply.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I have been able to contact PAC-Audio three different times this week. I do not understand why they do not include all the other things that need to be done in order to get their equipment to work. Here is what I have done.
I purchased an AAI-CHY PAC Audio Auxiliary adapter for my compatible vehicle. I used the instructions to install. I unplugged the SAT receiver at the rear of my vehicle completely. All 3 wires. I have to do this as my vehicle has SAT and VES. The most I was able to get out of the adapter was 5 seconds of audio before the Head Unit would revert back to the preview channels 184 or 196. After speaking with PAC-Audio, I unplugged the head unit and the AUX module. I left the head unit unplugged for 20 minutes to drain the capacitors. When I reconnected everything, I left the power to the head unit as the last thing to be plugged in. This enabled the head unit to register the AUX module as the SAT instead of the previous settings. It worked great. Until I turned the vehicle off and left it off for 3 hours. When my wife started the vehicle to leave work 3 hours later, the head unit did not register the AUX module anymore and continued to go to SAT preview channels 184.
I spoke with PAC-Audio again and was instructed (poorly) to cut the yellow power wire going into the AUX module and connect the 12V power to the AUX module. I asked to clarify if I was supposed to connect the power output (fused red wire) of the AUX module with the yellow wire. This confused me but the tech person confirmed my question. No luck as the yellow wire was the power input that I cut, which meant the red output lost power when the yellow wire was cut.
I spoke again with PAC-Audio today and someone explained to me that I need to tap into a 12v power source from somewhere else on the vehicle. He mentioned the ignition. This leads me to assume that I need to connect to a keyed 12V power source but have reservations about splicing wires.

This is where I need help...again...
The fuse box does not label the fuses and what they are for. The owners manual does not either. Can someone help me identify the fuses so that I tap into one that will supply the 12V needed but not too little amps or too many volts. I could be approaching this completely wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I bought some fuse taps that will allow me to connect a wire post fuse for safety purposes. I would then run this wire to the audio adapter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
quick and easy solution, but maybe not what you're looking for... I also have the VES. get a short Y-adapter from dual RCA's to 1/8". then get a long (6') 1/8" cable. leave the adapter hooked to your aux inputs at the flip down dvd player on the roof. plug in the long cable (or let it hang) whenever you want to use your phone/ipod. hook up your phone/ipod to the adapter cable. press play on your phone/ipod, then wait a few seconds for your VES to "recognize" the input at the RCA's. switch your stereo source to VES (it won't allow this until your phone/ipod has been playing a few seconds). now your phone/ipod will play through the entire system. make sure there is no dvd in the roof unit, or it will automatically play that instead of the input you attached. this will probably allow another option that I haven't tried yet, which is allowing the rear passengers to do the same and listen to their phone/ipod through the headphones while you listen to any other source through the system speakers. then if you want to monitor what they are listening to, switch the head unit to VES, and whatever they are listening to through the headphones should come through the regular stereo, just as if they were watching a movie. sometime when you're bored... climb in the back seat, throw in a cool action dvd, set the stereo to VES, and crank it up. the Alpine system makes an awesome surround sound theatre!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in just about the same boat as chance0710.

I drive a 2005 Durango for work, but policy prohibits me from installing an aftermarket radio. As a work around, I have figured that there could be a model durango with the same dimension stereo and connection as this 2005 but with an AUX input.

I prefer to just get a model of a Durango that came with the "same" stereo but an AUX input so that I can just go to a salvage yard and maybe pull it for much less.

any ideas on what models carry the same size/dimensions stereo head
unit?

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
My understanding is you'll need to find the similar OEM radio with the correct bus speed. example, you can not pull the challengers radio and put it into a truck or vise-versa, but if you find out the Buss speed of the D and find out the Buss speed of the challenger (which I believe is LOW Speed) or another car, those would be able to cross the same line and operate. I never found out what the Bus speed is on the newer Durango's, someone here should be able to fill in the blank. My challenger has the Aux Ipod plug which is nice. I did upgrade mine from the no frills stock radio to ta sat radio with blue tooth, but don't have the BT/Compass/ Sat Module (which is another purchase and upgrade to my build VIN Sheet) which is not built into the radio!

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
An ebay search of '04 durango aux' plls up a few items. For example Aux Input Dodge RAM iPod Radio Am FM CD Player MP3 04 05 06 07 08 09 Stereo | eBay depending on which features you currently have, and which you can live without you should be able to find one.

Basically most of the Jeep, Chrysler, Dodge line of that era used the same shape head unit. And it looks like most of them at that time used the same bus. But you'd want to find a likely candidate then do a few checks before buying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm hoping that I might get a reply here from Chance0710. I am currently in the same situation and would like to hear the follow through on your experience. I purchased an 06 Durango Limited with only 67,000 miles on it. Yeah, a 9 year old vehicle that was driven less than 7,500 miles a year by an old lady on city council. So well taken care of it honestly feels like I drove a new car off the lot. We could not be more happy with it. In the same boat though. I want to put in a Bluetooth dongle via an aux jack but well it does not have one besides hanging cords off the VES input (not going to happen).

I have the same 6-disc/SAT/VES option so I want to use the SAT input as my aux. I just purchased the PAC-ISCH73 and it on its way but I am under the assumption now that this will cut out my VES no matter what. This can not happen as we need it for the kids. I want to get rid of the SAT input because we will never use that. Pandora, Itunes radio and hands free is a much better option via a bluetooth adapter.

Looking at the PAC-CHYX it looks like this may be an option, cutting the SAT vs. the VES. Looks like you might have this accomplished but you never followed though on if it was a solid option. If you can give me a little more detail on your install or if anyone has any similar experience I would appreciate some heads up.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
He hasn't ever posted anything except what's in this thread. So can't be sure he's still active.

I can't help too much personally since I replaced mine with an aftermarket Nav unit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts