Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Dodge Durango 2016 Limited V6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2016 V6 durango shook me real good. While I'm at the light, the autostart/stop sensor pops up on the dash. I chose to ignore it and proceeded to head home. Soon as I arrive home the check engine light pops too and now there's a strong smell of gas inside the cabin. So I turned off the car for a couple of mins then attempted to turn it back on. It cranked for a while then came back on. Turned it back off and turned it on again but this time it only cranked.

Next day, I turn it on and it cranks a lil longer but comes on with the check engine light still illuminating and strong smell of gas. Anyone experience this? I ordered the ELM327 waiting to scan it for codes and see what happens. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks fam

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Welcome to DDN:
I would have both batteries properly load tested to make sure they are 100%. We have been seeing quite a few '16.'17' and '18 Durangos lately with battery issues. For your '16, the 5 year window is about right. I would still use the code reader, and find out what codes are stored.

Don

Reactions: Moose135

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
If a battery is an issue why the strong odor of fuel?
Why won't it start regardless if the start/stop is broken or needs a battery. One would assume the system would disable the S/S mode but keep the MIL.
I would move towards something else as the cause and the S/S system can't start the engine so it faults.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
593 Posts
Since it sounds like it cranks a normal speed and you get a strong fuel odor then I would blame something in the fuel delivery system.

Reactions: Vice-White

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I performed the scan and the following codes showed up

P0171 - powertrain fuel and air metering ISO/SAE controlled.. Location Bank 1 sensor 1 - system too lean

P0174 - powertrain fuel and air metering ISO/SAE controlled.. Location Bank 2 sensor 1- system too lean

U0001 - high Speed CAN communication Bus

I also opened up the engine cover and I noticed the purge hose had a crack at the connection point with the purge valve.. could that be a reason the engine is running too lean? I didn't see any leaks tho..

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Fix the cracked hose, disconnect battery to clear all codes (or use a code reader) and see what happens.
Makes sense if you have an air leak you would get a lean condition

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
The fact that the auto start warning came up, has been a result of a battery or other connection issue lately. The problem could very well be elsewhere, but the batteries and their connections are low hanging fruit. Many a frustrated car owner has chased their tail, and spent big bucks on similar issues, only to find that the 5 year old batteries are failing.

If the car has trouble starting, I would expect a fuel smell under some conditions.

Don

Reactions: Methodites

·
Registered
178 Posts
So my 2016 V6 durango shook me real good. While I'm at the light, the autostart/stop sensor pops up on the dash. I chose to ignore it and proceeded to head home. Soon as I arrive home the check engine light pops too and now there's a strong smell of gas inside the cabin. So I turned off the car for a couple of mins then attempted to turn it back on. It cranked for a while then came back on. Turned it back off and turned it on again but this time it only cranked.

Next day, I turn it on and it cranks a lil longer but comes on with the check engine light still illuminating and strong smell of gas. Anyone experience this? I ordered the ELM327 waiting to scan it for codes and see what happens. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks fam
Hi Delamoya,
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The fact that the auto start warning came up, has been a result of a battery or other connection issue lately. The problem could very well be elsewhere, but the batteries and their connections are low hanging fruit. Many a frustrated car owner has chased their tail, and spent big bucks on similar issues, only to find that the 5 year old batteries are failing.

If the car has trouble starting, I would expect a fuel smell under some conditions.

Don
So the main (big) battery is barely 6 months old however the small battery has been in service for a while now. So I will change it and see if anything happens. Also the purge hose will be replaced. I don't how to test for vaccum so I may have to take that to a workshop. But thanks guys

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome to DDN:
I would have both batteries properly load tested to make sure they are 100%. We have been seeing quite a few '16.'17' and '18 Durangos lately with battery issues. For your '16, the 5 year window is about right. I would still use the code reader, and find out what codes are stored.

Don
Don just a quick question for your expertise. I too own a 2016 Limited with the V-6. You stated the 5 year window is about right which of course mine is. Is the years operated or miles that should concern me about the battery life? I have 25,511 miles on it as of now. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Go by age not miles. When batteries get weak, cranking is longer, they can’t supply enough juice to the electronics so error codes come up. And then they go to dealer or come here.
the too lean code probably explains why he’s smelling gas. The ecu told the controls to add more in response to the code.
mid it makes you feel any better, I came from Honda’s whose factory batteries crap out after three years. Guaranteed. It’s an avoidable breakdown

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
AV:
As far as batteries go, age, miles, and the number of starts can all factor in. I have seen batteries that are brand new be bad, as well as oem batteries last 7, 8, or 10 years. When an electrical issue is afoot, one of the first tests IMO, is ruling out the battery or batteries. Part of the batterie's job in today's high tech vehicles, is to provide a strong, stable reference voltage for all of the electronics. There are many, many posts on both forums I hang out on, where people have spent big bucks, and been stressed/aggravated because they overlooked a bad battery.

Having one tested, is free and easy.

Don

·
Registered
65 Posts
My AGM batt in the 16 Citadel started acting up in mid 2020. We were getting weird stuff happening as well. Driver settings would be lost. I would remove the neg cable, and issue was gone for a little while.

I tried replacing it from the dealer, but they were out of my AGM for a couple of days. I ended up getting a AGM from Auto-zone. Price wise, it was around the same as the dealers price maybe 20.00 less. AGM'S are expensive really any where you go.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
My AGM batt in the 16 Citadel started acting up in mid 2020. We were getting weird stuff happening as well. Driver settings would be lost. I would remove the neg cable, and issue was gone for a little while.

I tried replacing it from the dealer, but they were out of my AGM for a couple of days. I ended up getting a AGM from Auto-zone. Price wise, it was around the same as the dealers price maybe 20.00 less. AGM'S are expensive really any where you go.
I got a motorcraft AGM battery. Costly but trustworthy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts