Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so am I correct in assuming the auto dim high beam when enabled in settings makes it so the high beams turn on when dark and no cars around, then dims to normal if there are oncoming cars?!? I have a 2020 Durango and I have had it for about a year. When I first got it the brights never came on unless I manually turned them on. Then just about 3 months or so ago I noticed they started turning on automatically while I was driving, however when there was oncoming cars or cars directly in front of me they do NOT dim and stay high beam. I asked my local dealership and they told me that auto dim high beam isn't made to automatically switch between high and regular beam if there are oncoming cars etc that I have to manually turn brights off for oncoming cars. Does this make sense? Please help! I assumed it worked like my husband's 2020 GMC Denali where the high beams automatically dim for oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
2018 Durango SRT Bruiser Gray
334 Posts
When enabled they do a decent job of dimming with oncoming cars or when in a higher light area such as in town. I still manually dim in town just to be sure. Not perfect but pretty decent, occasionally dims when it shouldn't. Your dealer is full of crap, what would the point of it be if it doesn't dim for oncoming cars?

As far as yours not working, I believe the sensor is on your mirror. Have you put anything on your mirror or windshield that could be blocking it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When enabled they do a decent job of dimming with oncoming cars or when in a higher light area such as in town. I still manually dim in town just to be sure. Not perfect but pretty decent, occasionally dims when it shouldn't. Your dealer is full of crap, what would the point of it be if it doesn't dim for oncoming cars?

As far as yours not working, I believe the sensor is on your mirror. Have you put anything on your mirror or windshield that could be blocking it?
I told the service manager that it made no sense and what would the point if that be. He had no answer for me.
So the sensor is on the rear view mirror? I do have a FastTrack toll road sensor on the inside of the bottom drivers side window but nothing else.

I took it in to get it fixed because mine don't ever dim. They would come on automatically but not dim when there are oncoming cars, they constantly flash their brights at me. Well sometimes they would dim but more often than not they don't dim for cars directly in front of me.

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Durango
368 Posts
Ok so here is the main problem with auto high beams....the sensors pick up the frequency of the oncoming lights and surrounding light such as street lights...they will usually only work at 60hz, now a days with HID and LED lights the frequency have changed. i will dig more into the sensor if they have changed that for newer models to keep up with new tech. But personally i would never use auto anything..the only 2 auto features i use its auto lights them selves and cruise other then that i rely on the good ole tried and true method of simply turning them on myself. But i have found now a days everyone wants everything to work by themselves.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Every vehicle I've had auto dimming high beams they've all auto-dimmed for oncomming traffic of high ambient light.

2017 Nissan Rouge/2018 Chevy Traverse/2022 Jeep Gladiator.

The Jeep ones are a little more aggressive the the others, but I haven't dug into UConnect too much to see if their is a sensitivity setting.

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Durango
368 Posts
OPERATION
The SmartBeam® automatic high beam control system uses digital light-sensing technology to monitor the lighting and traffic conditions in front of the vehicle. It helps improve forward visibility during nighttime driving by initiating high beam usage as ambient lighting and traffic conditions warrant. SmartBeam® communicates over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus with the ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) (also known as the Cab Compartment Node/CCN), the Body Control Module (BCM) or the diagnostic scan tool.

SmartBeam® may be enabled or disabled by using the customer programmable features function of the EVIC and selecting or deselecting the AUTO HIGH BEAM feature. Then the headlamp switch control knob, located on the instrument panel, must be in the A (Automatic) position and the high beams must be selected using the beam selector function of the multi-function switch control stalk for SmartBeam® to be operational. An AUTO HIGHBEAM ON or AUTO HIGHBEAM OFF textual message will temporarily appear in the instrument cluster reconfigurable dot matrix display to confirm the current system status.

When the SmartBeam® system is enabled, ambient light levels are low enough to require the use of high beams, the vehicle is moving over 34 kilometers-per-hour (21 miles-per-hour) and no other traffic is present; SmartBeam® will automatically turn the high beams ON. When the system detects the headlamps of an approaching vehicle or the tail lamps of a preceding vehicle, the high beams will automatically turn OFF. If the high beams are ON while decelerating and approaching a full stop, the system will turn them OFF automatically at below approximately 30 kilometers-per-hour (18 miles-per-hour).

SmartBeam® will switch the high beams ON or OFF instantaneously. The high beam indicator in the instrument cluster will illuminate as soon as the high beams come ON, and will remain illuminated until the high beams are OFF. SmartBeam® will instantaneously turn the high beams OFF if the system detects the sudden presence of vehicle lights ahead. The vehicle operator can also override the SmartBeam® selection at any time manually using the beam selection function of the multi-function switch control stalk to select the low beams, and the flash-to-pass (optical horn) feature is still functional with SmartBeam®.

SmartBeam® senses lighting conditions directly ahead of the vehicle. In certain situations, such as hills or winding roads, it may be more comfortable manually overriding the system because the vehicles in front may not be in the SmartBeam® imaging camera field of view. However, it is not likely that your high beams will cause discomforting glare to other drivers in this situation.

SmartBeam® may not function properly if its field of view is obscured. Because it looks through the windshield, the system may not function properly if this area is covered with ice, dirt, haze or any other obstruction. For optimal system performance, the lens of the imager camera must be cleaned periodically, as it may haze over due to the air quality in the vehicle passenger compartment. Spray a small amount of glass cleaner onto a soft cloth and gently clean the lens. Do not spray the glass cleaner directly onto the lens.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
The system does not detect the frequency of lighting as that component only pertains to AC, not DC. DC frequency is in effect, 0.
I am pretty sure the system detects light so it does not matter if the oncoming traffic has halogen, LED, HID or a standard bulb for it to work. :unsure:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I love my auto-dim high beams. Work fantastic and work very well considering my commute will go both through some twists and hills that will block on-coming traffic. My commute home every night in the dark of winter has the lights switching back and forth at least a dozen times every day.

Work like a charm, would be very annoyed to have to constantly flick them myself and probably do a far worse job of blinding on-coming traffic by forgetting to turn them back off as well.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I love my auto-dim high beams. Work fantastic and work very well considering my commute will go both through some twists and hills that will block on-coming traffic. My commute home every night in the dark of winter has the lights switching back and forth at least a dozen times every day.

Work like a charm, would be very annoyed to have to constantly flick them myself and probably do a far worse job of blinding on-coming traffic by forgetting to turn them back off as well.
I really like how mine works as well and I think we woud all be doing good if the 10.1" nav system worked as good as the auto high beams LOL

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Agreed. If anything, my high beams are too polite. They switch off at any hint of oncoming traffic.
That is what they are supposed to do.;) The on comng traffic is happy! :cool:

·
Registered
124 Posts
After a few days with my vehicle I'm very satisfied with the auto highbeam functionality. They dim when they're supposed to and are nice and bright when active.

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT 392
1,217 Posts
Ok so here is the main problem with auto high beams....the sensors pick up the frequency of the oncoming lights and surrounding light such as street lights...they will usually only work at 60hz, now a days with HID and LED lights the frequency have changed. i will dig more into the sensor if they have changed that for newer models to keep up with new tech. But personally i would never use auto anything..the only 2 auto features i use its auto lights them selves and cruise other then that i rely on the good ole tried and true method of simply turning them on myself. But i have found now a days everyone wants everything to work by themselves.
Ok, enjoy your manual life grandpa! 🤣

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT 392
1,217 Posts
Ok, so am I correct in assuming the auto dim high beam when enabled in settings makes it so the high beams turn on when dark and no cars around, then dims to normal if there are oncoming cars?!? I have a 2020 Durango and I have had it for about a year. When I first got it the brights never came on unless I manually turned them on. Then just about 3 months or so ago I noticed they started turning on automatically while I was driving, however when there was oncoming cars or cars directly in front of me they do NOT dim and stay high beam. I asked my local dealership and they told me that auto dim high beam isn't made to automatically switch between high and regular beam if there are oncoming cars etc that I have to manually turn brights off for oncoming cars. Does this make sense? Please help! I assumed it worked like my husband's 2020 GMC Denali where the high beams automatically dim for oncoming traffic.
Try cleaning the camera lens.

·
Registered
334 Posts
But shouldn't there be a retaliatory function for oncoming cars that fail to turn of their own high beams? Seems like another Dodge oversight...
For retaliatory mode, pull the stalk towards you, and hold it there. You can use the horn too. :devilish:

·
Registered
265 Posts
For retaliatory mode, pull the stalk towards you, and hold it there. You can use the horn too. :devilish:
That is one area I miss about my trucks. First I would replace the fog lights and high beams with stupid bright driving lights. Then on the control side of the lighting relays use a diode to back feed the low beams and fog lights relays from the high beam control so when I used high beams I had 6 driving lights projecting daylight into whosevers rear view mirror I wanted :giggle:

·
Registered
334 Posts
That is one area I miss about my trucks. First I would replace the fog lights and high beams with stupid bright driving lights. Then on the control side of the lighting relays use a diode to back feed the low beams and fog lights relays from the high beam control so when I used high beams I had 6 driving lights projecting daylight into whosevers rear view mirror I wanted :giggle:
Back in the day, people would use aircraft landing lights, but you couldn't put them behind plastic grills. I've always wanted to install a train horn, but the horns are long, and you need a compressor and tank.

• Haha
Reactions: MikeD1
1 - 20 of 21 Posts