Dodge Durango Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
The way I see it, when electronic gadgetry was first adapted to autos, it was whiz-bang cool and nifty. Big screens, touch screens, lots of things to fidget with that were unfidgetable before. Now it's kind of stagnated. I mean, we've had the 8.4 and all that stuff for years now. Carplay et al are just attempts to keep things fresh, I guess. It doesn't do anything for me. But then, I'm called old by most people anymore so maybe I'm irrelevant.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't get the big deal over it. I've used it in GM rentals and not sure what benefit it provides as I can't bring Waze up on the screen which is about the only real benefit, using one's phone for navigation over the vehicles often outdated software.
But when all apps can be put on the screen or more like Waze, Gasbuddy, ect. then I'll really want it.
Otherwise I listen to music which I can already access without it.
You can bring up Waze on the screen using Android Auto anyway. It works pretty well, still getting used to it. Spotify displays on the screen and works well, reads messages and allows you to reply if you want. The one downfall is that Android Auto prevents you from using your phone, say you want to reply using the phone or view an email while it's connected, you have to turn off Android Auto to get to your phone.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Well, since you shouldn't be looking at the phone while driving, that isn't such a bad thing...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Customtronix has a new device called Jailbreaker Connect. It lets you mirror your phone onto the uConnect screen. And it has a media player that can read media files from a usb drive. Plus an hdmi out to connect another screen in the rear!
I am just waiting for them to update their software to work with the latest 16.xx.xx update that I just got over the air a few weeks back. The video also claims that you can add the jailbreaker connect device to your already existing jailbreaker RAX harness. Which is what I have. To me this will be a better solution than Android Auto\Apple Carplay since I can mirror anything that I want. Not just what Android and Apple allow me to display. Of course I wont be watching movies and TV while driving but it will be cool to have that option while parked.

» Jailbreaker Connect (WiFi) for 2013-2017 Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Fiat/AlfaRomeo/Jeep

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well, since you shouldn't be looking at the phone while driving, that isn't such a bad thing...
Its a pain when you connect your phone and forget to turn the lights off in your house first. I have a smartthings hub and when the garage door opens it turns the lights on in the house. So I usually turn them off right away, but if I forget until after I connect my phone....

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Just giving you the business. You sound responsible from all accounts here. But it seems likely that was part of the thinking when they decided to lock out the phone during use. For me anyway, I share the roads with all sorts of scary drivers. The less distractions the better! We all know texting (or having your face buried in the phone screen) while driving is horrifically dangerous, yet so many still do it. I cannot understand why.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just giving you the business. You sound responsible from all accounts here. But it seems likely that was part of the thinking when they decided to lock out the phone during use. For me anyway, I share the roads with all sorts of scary drivers. The less distractions the better! We all know texting (or having your face buried in the phone screen) while driving is horrifically dangerous, yet so many still do it. I cannot understand why.
I agree, I know people that will text and drive, bothers me to say the least. Maybe I'm getting old but I do not know of any reason that you need to reply to that text right away (unless its your girl sending nudes, that might be an exception. LOL).

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
And likely a guaranteed crash, making patience and restraint all the more valuable.

·
Banned
147 Posts
wow this guy has figured out how to do what ive been wanting to do forever! the question is do you go with the apple TV version or do you go with that WiFi device. I know the Apple TV one cost more but its awesome that it works just like it would on my TV and I can use my Uber and lyft driving app on the screen and etc. hmmm choices

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just leased a 2018 Durango GT with the 7" non-navigation uConnect with CarPlay - When I hook up my iPhone to the usb the location on maps thinks I'm at the original dodge dealer 5.5 hours away and I'm not able to change / update that location.

Anyone on here that can help with this issue?

Thanx in advance!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm wondering how the 2018 models are looking for CarPlay. That would be a great upgrade along with the new T shifter to replace the stupid dumb crappy Shifter knob.
You were spot on sir! These are two reasons why I’m super happy with my 2018 Durango.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts