Dodge Durango Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, why include this essential functionality in your top-price-tier vehicle?

Meanwhile, Kia is allowing 2014 model owners to upgrade to CarPlay for free.

FCA sucks. :(

I will not be buying this vehicle at the end of my lease if no one has come up with a way to retrofit it with CarPlay. I will not spend the next decade tied to a crap factory nav system/media player.
I feel the same way about other updates that are for every 2014 model except the 300 SRT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Correct. Apple CarPlay has specific hardware requirements that the UConnect RA3/4 systems do not posses. For starters, the screen resolution of these units is too low.

·
Registered
14 Posts
While purchasing my 2017 Dodge Durango GT, the salesperson mentioned that I would be able to get CarPlay with a software update, is this accurate? I doubt this claim, but would be happy if this would be possible.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The 2017 Durangos (possibly the 16s, I don't know) have the new Uconnect with capacitive touch. Apparently Dodge has decided to make the Challenger and Charger CarPlay ready, but not the Durango and other models. From what I've read it sounds like the new Uconnect system in the new Durangos has the ability to support Apple CarPlay, but Dodge hasn't done so yet. I tweeted them and they said "At this time, we don't have details on plans to expand this to other models, and I'm sorry for any inconvenience."

Ugh.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I'm wondering how the 2018 models are looking for CarPlay. That would be a great upgrade along with the new T shifter to replace the stupid dumb crappy Shifter knob.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm wondering how the 2018 models are looking for CarPlay. That would be a great upgrade along with the new T shifter to replace the stupid dumb crappy Shifter knob.
Frankly I'm ready to dump my Durango and move to something that's actually technology-aware. I absolutely hate the lack of CarPlay in my '16 Durango. The onboard nav system sucks, the maps are outdated (even though I have the latest software update) and I'm tired of the system barking at me that I'm speeding when, in fact, the freeway speed limits in my state increased 2 years ago. (Why not just turn it off? Because it's still helpful on surface streets where the speed limits are correct.)

And while some other manufacturers are giving their prior-year customers an upgrade path to CarPlay (even Kia! FRIGGIN KIA!!!!!), mum is the word from FCA.

Ford SUVs: CarPlay
Chevy SUVs: CarPlay
VW SUVs: CarPlay
Honda SUVs: CarPlay
Volvo SUVs: CarPlay
Hyundai SUVs: CarPlay
Kia SUVs: CarPlay
Dodge SUVs: "Huh?"

Idiots.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Who needs Car Play when you have the sweet sweet Hemi sound :D

Chris

Reactions: 540Oak and mantis

·
Registered
95 Posts
They just don't get it. Pony up for a Citadel or R/T with most packages and a sticker price over $50K and no Apple play? Are you kidding me? Wish a Tessa would pull my motorcycle trailer!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Frankly I'm ready to dump my Durango and move to something that's actually technology-aware. I absolutely hate the lack of CarPlay in my '16 Durango.
RedHotFuzz, the Apple CarPlay/Android Auto system are finally available for the Durango: either a Uconnect 4 (with 7-inch display) or Uconnect 4C with 8.4-inch display. Have you considered an upgrade? Wondering if the swap would be a simple plug and play, particularly when replacing the 8.4 for the 'new' 8.4.

·
Registered
17 Posts
While I would not buy a Tesla (yet) I think this is a demonstration of how most of the traditional auto industry is simply clueless when it comes to in car infotainment (ICI) technology.

I really wanted Android Auto in the 18 but I can live without it for the $7K+ discount + incentives I got on my 17.

They simply do not understand the different paradigm of taking care of their customers with added feature/function/performance AFTER they've made the sale. But this is how the consumer electronics industry works. Apple is the best in supporting their old hardware. The best android phone companies (Google, Samsung, LG) provide SW updates for ~2 years after the model introduction. Even Microsoft continue to provide patches and enhancements to their OS many years after the upgrade. When I am purchasing a PC, Phone, Tablet, TV, TV settop box, etc... the aftercare is a big part of my decision.

The car manufacturers treat this aftercare as a profit center. I recall my first navigation system in a Cadillac. GM wanted something like $250 for a map upgrade... I often wonder how many people actually ponied up the $$$. I guess there are guys out there with flip phones still.

Even in 2017, it's really laughable how they think. Is anyone actually paying $50/month to turn their car into a 3G wifi hotspot? like watching mall cops going up against the Apple/Google seal teams.

That said, The Uconnect system is actually pretty decent implementation compared to other non carplay or android auto hack jobs.

Reactions: MrMcDuck

·
Registered
110 Posts
While I would not buy a Tesla (yet) I think this is a demonstration of how most of the traditional auto industry is simply clueless when it comes to in car infotainment (ICI) technology.

I really wanted Android Auto in the 18 but I can live without it for the $7K+ discount + incentives I got on my 17.

They simply do not understand the different paradigm of taking care of their customers with added feature/function/performance AFTER they've made the sale. But this is how the consumer electronics industry works. Apple is the best in supporting their old hardware. The best android phone companies (Google, Samsung, LG) provide SW updates for ~2 years after the model introduction. Even Microsoft continue to provide patches and enhancements to their OS many years after the upgrade. When I am purchasing a PC, Phone, Tablet, TV, TV settop box, etc... the aftercare is a big part of my decision.

The car manufacturers treat this aftercare as a profit center. I recall my first navigation system in a Cadillac. GM wanted something like $250 for a map upgrade... I often wonder how many people actually ponied up the $$$. I guess there are guys out there with flip phones still.

Even in 2017, it's really laughable how they think. Is anyone actually paying $50/month to turn their car into a 3G wifi hotspot? like watching mall cops going up against the Apple/Google seal teams.

That said, The Uconnect system is actually pretty decent implementation compared to other non carplay or android auto hack jobs.
Since I've never had a car with apple car play before, I'm still unsure as to what value it truly has. I know my SRT on order is going to have it. I'm curious to know the day to day use of it. Right now, I can say "Hey Siri" and tell it to call or text someone using the Bluetooth in my truck. Am I to believe the only benefit with apple car play is that my car does it now instead of Siri? I have done a little research on it and wasn't exactly blown away. Can someone help me see the light?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I don't get the big deal over it. I've used it in GM rentals and not sure what benefit it provides as I can't bring Waze up on the screen which is about the only real benefit, using one's phone for navigation over the vehicles often outdated software.
But when all apps can be put on the screen or more like Waze, Gasbuddy, ect. then I'll really want it.
Otherwise I listen to music which I can already access without it.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts