Dodge Durango Forum banner

Anyone want to start and RT upgrade to SRT page?

32K views 66 replies 22 participants last post by  lhearold 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2015 RT AWD, and have done some research into the following items (Blue means verified MOPAR Part numbers):

Must have items:

1. Engine 6.4 Upgrade replacing 5.7 (I found 3 shops to do this, one resells your 5.7 to get the price down to 9-11K depending on mileage)(I am doing my own swap to keep costs down)

Avondale Dodge (Josh Bjarko-Parts Mgr) has agreed to work with us on providing entire packages for this and will be getting me all the part numbers and items needed for all options listed here. They currently are selling the 6.4 for $6000 with a $750 core. They are working up an installation price for the swap as well. Price subject to change monthly. PM me if you want more info on Avondale Dodge and who to speak with for parts.

2. Hood - 68309501AD $685
Silencer / Heat Damper - 68309355AD
Hood insulation pin x 9: 04878883AA $4.95
Bezel Right Side (grill): 68309356AB $11.50
Bezel Center (grill): 68321446AB $18.00
Bezel Left (grill): 68309357AB #11.50
Hood Front Seal 68084598AC $28.52

3. Front Fascia / Grills : *** see link I created below****
Fascia 68320617AA $399
Core Charge- $100
Lower Grill 68320617AA $32.00
Fog Light Bezels L&R 68307808AA + 68307809AA $26.88 x2
FA Grills L&R 68307812AA + 68307813AA $5.75 x 2
Spat-Front L&R 68299198AB + 68299199AB $11.19 x 2
Applique 68377772AA $69.13

3B. Fog Lights, wiring, lights, etc... in process.

4. Rear Fascia (Multiple Rear Fascia choices)

Rear Upper Fascia #1 68092093AB $198.75 (Pics pending)

Rear Upper Fascia #2 68304552AB $295 (Pics pending)
Core Rear Upper Fascia #2 $100.00

Rear Bumper Cover 68304551AA 280.00
Core Rear Bumper Cover $100.00
Rear Lower Fascia 6DQ33TZZAA $203.75
Core Rear Lower Fascia $100.00
Sill Molding L&R 6DR80TZZAB +6DR81TZZAB $171.25 x2
Applique 68307817AA $46.00

5. Exhaust- 6.4 headers installed by the company doing the engine swap - all new pipe to the rear, SRT mufflers from the dealer.
6. Performance Pages - AE tool, or ODB Genie
7. Recovered Seats- new SRT logo - Katzin or ?

8. Shifter bezel and handle
6FE061CCAC SHIFTER-TRANSMISSION $173
6FC27DX9AC BEZEL-GEAR SHIFT INDICATOR $395
68322226AC SHIFTER-TRANSMISSION $215
No BCM Flash from what I was told- pending installation to verify

9. SRT Instrument cluster
10. Brembo Package, Larger wheel and tire package- in process

Secondary item- depending on your vehicle and budget
11. Suspension -
depends on your budget and if you are starting with an RT, or a GT or SXT
12. Front and Rear Diff Ratio currently 3.09 on RT- Recommended upgrade to 3.45 gear, 3.70 is the current SRT - upgrade options being researched
13. AWD System- - depends on your budget and if you are starting with an RT, or a GT or SXT
RT is 50/50 split, however SRT with launch control shifts power 30/70 to the rear

Exterior- Dress up items. Items

14. Wheel Flares
6DR87TZZAB $114.00
6DR86TZZAB $114.00
6DR84TZZAB $114.00
6DR85TZZAB $114.00

15. New AWD Badges

New style AWD Badges
Gray & Black: 68366241AA $22.71
Red & Brushed Aluminum: 68366244AA $2.93
Red & Chrome : 68354593AA $19.15

SRT Grill Badges * Other Durango Badges-
to be posted!
16. Door sill plates- SRT
17. Light up SRT horn pad - Dealer items
18. SRT Floor Mats
19. Billet Catch Can if you don't already have one

I am working with a local dealer on these upgrades and if anyone want to help me put a package together, I am up for it. I personally would love an SRT 6.4 but don't have the equity in my 2015 to just get out of it, I owe under 31K, it supposed to be worth 35K - I can't see going more than double back in debt for the difference. I know the suspension and suspension tuning will be the hardest part, as also with the driving modes, but I am thinking most of us don't own a Durango because we want to keep the Track/Strip racing button down all the time, especially as soccer practice?

I also own a SRT Charger, so I know what I am talking about, we supposedly have 360HP and the SRT Charger has 485, yet my 2014 Ram with the same Hemi has 390.
So I guess we lose 30HP to the AWD? who knows. So its roughly 100HP we are talking about buying and some body tweaks, and some badges and logos. I personally feel the suspension diff between the RT and the SRT is negligible, especially since if I need to get nutty, I will take my SRT Charger out, the Durango is the family truckster, I just want it faster. :)

Let me know if any interest. I am not doing some poser - just throw emblems on there BS, I want to do it right, so its engine, fascias, brakes, the whole thing.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
it's ok Craig, I already did the math and it can call be done for under 14-18K depending on if you stop before the suspension, but hey, thanks for throwing that out there without looking it up!
to me that's half the price of an SRT without interest and depreciation, so that's pretty damn good. The difference in payment alone is $300-$400 if not more. I bought my lease out, so my payment would go up about $600 to double up now on what I pay, and that's $7200 over 1 year, almost 15K over 2 years and for that I can do this upgrade and owe ZERO in 2 years, and have a shit-ton of equity compared to someone leasing a new one.

#4 ·
Here is the skinny guys- body style change coming in 2019-2020 at the latest. I hate driving around an old body style, unless its paid for- so up to you- I honestly don't care if anyone wants to do this or thinks it stupid, I just know that some dude put up a really nice mod page for the RT, and I thought this might be nice to do for people who cannot swing a 70-75K lease/purchase for an SRT 2018 and for sure don't want to be stuck in it when the body style change comes in the next 2 years.

#6 ·
For someone not in the market for a NEW Durango, this might be cost effective. But if you are in the market for one, you're better off buying the SRT. You can pay for the mods and upgrade an RT but, how are you paying for those mods, cash? Because if you're using plastic, are you figuring in your interest on those purchases? Most cards have an interest rate way above what you'll pay for a car loan.
In the end, it's YOUR truck. If you want to mod it up, go for it. You seem to have a pretty good idea of what you want and how you want it done. If I had modded up my 2014 RT I most likely would not have pulled the trigger on the 2018 SRT.
As for the difference in HP for the RAM trucks, I believe it is due to the exhaust system design, which flows better in the bigger trucks. Though I could be wrong.

#9 ·
Thank you for the info Moe. I just get frustrated when people don't remember what we learned in kindergarten. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. If you still want to run your gator at least have some backup or something substantial to add, as in your post. That is the problem with all this social media today- people can just say anything and hit click and walk away. I want to do something constructive here, and i hope it helps others.

Mantis, i will post my upgrades as i do them and get new prices.....

#11 ·
craig, just have something to say, don't be a child and post and click for attention, this is not facebook. If you cannot add something substantial, then don't post anything at all. Now people have to scroll thru 2 of your useless posts and mine now asking you to stop. You don't even get it- timing has nothing to do with what bothers me, your post was useless and unfounded. Moe's post made a point. Granted these upgrades don't have to be done all at one time, and cash is the best way to do this, but even then the insurance increase alone on an SRT plus the payment is what some people pay for a house. So sure if you want a new Durango and are ok with $70-75K, SRT is the way to go, but if you have one and you want to keep it, like mine, you might want to know about the upgrade options. You are just pissed you bought your ride recently and didn't wait for the SRT. I saw all your threads dude. Just let this go so the rest of us can enjoy the forum and help each other.

Lets try this again, if you don't have anything nice or constructive to say don't say anything at all. if you want to keep rattling on, no one can stop you, I am not going to waste anymore time on this.

#12 ·
I'll add in to your list.

11. Front and rear diff is different ratio (3.70) and I believe has e-LSD.
12. AWD system is different.
13. Will require exhaust work as 6.4L has factory shorty headers which require a different down pipe which will then require a reducer to merge to the smaller diameter R/T exhaust.
Probably will loose a few hp there.

Its one thing to add the 6.4L/brakes/wheels and a few exterior trim pieces, it will be another to add all the features.
In the end, just don't put a SRT decal on it and be a poser.

#14 · (Edited)
Good stuff Chase, now my Durango has 3.09 front and rear now - I had researched my SRT Charger, which also has a 3.09 rear- and figured that woudl deliver the same result. Same 8 spd tranny. So I am ok leaving the 3.09 front and rear if its good enough for my SRT Charger. Can you give me more info on this e-LSD? I will still post this as an option for people to do to put the EXACT same stuff, even if I don't do it. I want this to be a master list for upgrading with DIY stuff, not just my story of me upgrading, which is why I really value this type of input.

As for AWD being different- that's new info- I will have to do some research on that.

Agreed on the headers, the companies that quoted me the swap are going headers with all new pipe to the mufflers. There is a small reduction there, as it attached to the mufflers, which to be honest, I am reconsidering the SRT mufflers now as going thru all this expense and time, and for it not to sound like an SRT may just be me being silly.

I agree, as we go thru this upgrade everyone will be at different places for the next year or two or however long and there will be donors. It will be a sad situation to see a brand new donor, but I will cherry pick the piss out of it if I find one!

I have updated the master list with your item- thank you!

#15 ·
I kinda disagree on the 6.4 being that much better. You can upgrade the 5.7 to put out the same, or more power than a 6.4. I wouldn't want to do the whole swap and make an SRT clone. I'm going to add SRT seats to my R/T but will most likely get the SRT replaced with R/T in the seats. Also, the AE tool won't support '18s until December of NEXT year. Maybe when '17 support officially comes out this year it will be supported but not holding my breath. Also, the tazer currently doesn't work in the 18s which tells me they changed something between 17 and 18. The rest of the stuff, I'd be curious to see how this all works out. The trans is the same. The gearing in the diffs can be changed.
I say good luck with it, it'll be interesting to see.

#16 ·
Ekaz- i have heard the same thing, the 5.7 is more bulletproof and can handle more boost than the 6.4 due to the length of the stroke? which is why the hellcat and demon are 6.2. The 6.4 though is a monster normally aspirated and this is a Durango, so the real issue here is what are we gonna do when they make a Supercharged SRT Durango like the Jeep got? lol. too much to even think about now.

However for this exercise, we can talk about going down a Supercharger tangent and keeping the 5.7? but I don't want to appear to be a poser. You really can't call it an SRT, but in the end, a supercharged 5.7 I am sure will be faster than a 6.4 stock install.

AE tool isn't an issue as none of us have a 2018 that we are doing this to, we all have 2017 or older, as we are assuming anyone who bought a 2018 would have just bought a SRT if they wanted one like Moe said. I would love some specs on the gearing differences if anyone has that... higher gears because less engine RPMs? is that what the SRT is doing in 2018? all things we will need to work thru together.

Please keep us posted on the SRT seat upgrade. I am hoping to find a donor myself, or go Katzkin, but if you find an easy way, let us know and post some pics. I only have 20K miles on mine, so my seats are still like new.

Good stuff, thank you for posting!

#18 ·
You're not going to get 100+hp out of a 5.7L without a blower or having serious drivability issues.
The only issue I've heard with the 6.4L and supercharging is the stock intake can't be used such as Procharger or Votech typically do with their kits.

Now I agree supercharging the 5.7L is the most cost effective way to get SRT like power.

The Charger 392 does have 3.09 gears like the D Hemi, but its also 1,000 lbs lighter, has 125hp and 75tq more and turning a 28.7" tire vs your taller 30.4" tire on the Durango.
Your AWD system only has a selectable low range.
The AWD system in the SRT D has different selectable modes including launch control. I believe the main difference is it can transfer more of the power to the rear full time, so say 70% instead of a 50/50 balance.
Not that it is needed, but just noting there is a lot of content added to the SRT over the R/T.

#19 ·
For sure there are differences. The 6.4 also has the same thin ringlands on the pistons, so it can't handle much boost. A good cam, heads, headers, and tune will get you close to SRT numbers but I agree that some sort of FI is the quickest way to get to those numbers. As for the different drive modes, I used sport mode and never used track mode or launch control. I live in Chicago so there really isn't any road where track mode is useful and a lot of people get better launches without launch control. I have nothing against the SRT, I've had SRT's since '06. There is a lot of wiggle room where people can mod their R/Ts to get what they want out it without spending the extra 15-20k on a Durango SRT.

#20 ·
Save your self the time and money. Do a stroker kit on your 5.7 and already start with more hp and tq then swapping in a 6.4. Plus it will be forged and ready for boost.

--
2017 Dodge Durango AWD R/T Granite Blacktop

Performance
K&N Intake, Fastman 86mm TB, Ported Intake Manifold, 180° Thermostat, Corsa Catback, Grocery Getter Strut Brace (paint matched), Diablosport Trinity, Jay Greene Tune

Appearance/Interior
Gorilla Black Lugs, Luxe Taillight Tint, Front Windows 15% Ceramic Tint, Yellow Fog Lights, Weather Tech Floor Liners, Mopar Grille Emblem, Steering Wheel AUX Buttons, Tazer

Future
ATI Underdrive Pulley, ARH Headers, Ported Heads, Custom Cam, Whipple Supercharger

DiabloSport Trinity Times 0-60 5.79, 1/4 14.37

#21 ·
excellent info- ok, i think we are in agreement we can beef up and do a stroker kit on the 5.7 and get more HP and forged internals. Then it can take more boost than stock. Do we have a price on this? just the stroker kit, installed, engine out and back in again? I have not calculated machine shop time in 10 years, and the last time i did a valve job was on an Oldsmobile 350R in a Cutlass, 1979 - so I am deferring to you for a cost.

Also in agreement, supercharging is an option, 7-8K from the kits I have seen, and some people may want to go that way. let me know if you guys want to make that an option above.

So should we just plan on upgrading the gears to 3.70 ? vote in on it and i will get pricing - just swapping pinion and ring gear right? nothing too exciting? besides probably adjusting the damn speedometer! ugh.

AWD- low range vs launch etc....I get it- up to you guys if you think its worth it for this project - I don't mind researching it, but personally, I am more like Ekaz, I wont launch anymore, not even my SRT Charger. I did my 20 years of that and now the shit cost way too much when you snap an axle or a crankshaft, of which i have done both- damn B&M Shift kits! The way I think is fair is if one person thinks they may want to go down the road of a SC, or STroker, or AWD conversion, I will get it on the list and we will figure it out, but if no one has any interest, and I don't have any interest, we can shelf it. I await your replies. I am thinking the gear upgrade is pretty painless and would help us be apples to apples, as the tire specs and the weight, all are important items to consider.

#22 ·
I don't think you can buy just a gear set.
Both front and rear diff along with the axles are different...beefier, along with the transfer case.
Plus they have electric motors attached to them so even if you get them in, how do you plug them in so they work as designed?

Only option that looks swappable is the V6 3.45 front and rear diffs which seem to bolt in. I know the rear will, not 100% sure on front as I have not researched the axle P/N's.
Either way the speedo will not need correcting.

#23 ·
Brembos and wheels and tires 4k

#24 ·
I didnt see SRT instrument cluster, wheel flares, rear fascia, srt floormats, quadratrac single speed transfer case system on the list. Lots of options out there to upgrade 100hp if money is no object. But then again for under 70k OTD with a mopar lifetime warranty (if available on SRTs) could have exactly what u want till the wheels fall off.

#25 ·
Good stuff MotorCity- I got floormats up there in the 2nd section. Good catch on the cluster. I will add rear fascia, and wheel flares as well. But you lost me on the single speed transfer case. I am already an AWD, is there something i am missing or is this along the lines of the AWD being different? I get confused in keeping this a list for everyone, but then just what I need - lol.

Not sure where you see these for 70K I have blu ray, rear entertainment, every freaking option imaginable and it came back at 75K. A deal breaker for me is I added power folding mirrors off a Jeep SRT along with all the wiring, modules and door controller. I had to get WIC to update my BCM, and they won't do that anymore. So for me, if I trade I lose power folding mirrors pretty much forever, unless I want to go Jeep, which is another reason I am doing the upgrade besides no desire to go back into debt.

You gotta hook up? Also never seen a lifetime warranty? you got a link for that on SRT? I have a Charger and I am interested in that.

#26 ·
Chase, you got me - I am labeling this a - to each his own on this one.... I know you can update the PCM with a flash from AE, in 2018 once the codes and switches get released, but I am not sure going with a 3.45 is worth the trouble compared to a 3.09 ? is the V6 the same size pumpkin, ring, etc... as in strength? or is it more lightweight since its from a V6? should we keep this item open on just replacing the gears? or can you do some research on that, or are you certain? Did anyone seem Billions on HBO the last 2 seasons? Are you certain? yes, I am certain..... and millions of dollars fly. All on one word. Better than going are you sure? really? you sure? lol
I been up too many hours- sorry guys.

#28 ·
I'm certain on the rear....it even shows full interchange with V8 on Mopar sites.
Not sure on the front...V6 could be lighter duty, did not look into it as I have RWD...I'll leave that to you.

One bigger point is while the SRT is using the same HP70 trans the R/T has, the rest of the drivetrain has been beefed up...transfer case, front/rear diffs and drive axles.
So you can add a Whipple and get SRT power+ out of the 5.7L but you won't have the drivetrain strength of the SRT.
Will it matter? Probably depends on how hard you run the truck.

I think this exercise is going to show the SRT is a bargain compared to upfitting an R/T to SRT specs.

#29 ·
Motor- my RT was 56k sticker from factory- every possible option - it was an all black special order that as I said, i will be down to probably 25K by Christmas, with 22K miles on it. It all comes down to quality of life and what you want to spend your money on. to me, ratcheting back up to 70-75K depending on options, and that bigger payment isn't worth the money for me. I am already restoring an 86 Corvette coupe, and this is more therapeutic than for resale anyway. Keeps me off the tables in the casinos as well. But if i can get close to the SRT, enough that only the dealer would know by putting it on a rack and inspecting my axels or transfer case, I am ok with that. Sure, to make it 100% on all aspects would cost close to 35K from what I have found out so far and its the law of diminishing returns once you spend more than 15-18k IMO. But I figure there are a lot of guys and gals out there who cannot go get a 70-75K lease or loan and have a 2012-2015 ride and want to do this over a few years and love their ride again! As for the mirrors, believe me, if it was possible, i would still be weighing this decision- there are 3 sales codes that needed to be added for power folding, puddle lights and turn signals in the mirrors and no one will help with that. I have kept that as a side project for 6 months now and still keep looking. I would steal them off my RT now and put them in a box if i knew I could make them work again. Problem is got small garages and damn cars will not fit with mirrors open- no matter how close or careful you are. Anyway, I think we are on the same page now.

Chase- I honestly only went AWD because of the rain and we go to Mt Charleston a lot in the winter out here, and it snows! Not that i am breaking out the 20" tire chains, but it makes me feel better when the ground gets soft, or I see cars in the ditch it's raining so bad. It rains so infrequently out here, the oil just gathers all damn year old and when it does rain, it's like a slip and slide on some roads, so whatever I can do to give me a better chance of being safe. That goes back to why I am not too concerned about this 50/50 or 30/70 launch control with making this SRT upgrade. I actually would have preferred a RWD for this project like my Charger, but I got what i got, so be it. I am going to shelf the AWD- Axle- transfer case issues unless someone needs help. Before this thread/project is done I am sure some 2013 SXT owner is going to pop up an want to do this upgrade and he/she will need a new rear end anyway and a new tranny so we can address that then and get them caught up. If something breaks I will be surprised.... I am taking the 5.7 out of the Durango and putting it in my Corvette I am restoring anyway, so I have a dual interest in this project. I am keeping the 4+3 DN tranny in the vette as i just love it, I had it in college and that's also the reason for the restore. This will be my 3rd C4 restore, first one with a Hemi in it! can't wait to see how the car shows go with that showing up lol. So when you look at it that way, I had to get an engine anyway and I think the 5.7 is 425HP at the crank right? 360/390 at the wheels depending on what its in. So if I end up 325/350 at the wheels in an 86 Corvette that came factory 230HP, it will be nice and fast.

#30 ·
I agree in the not taking on a big payment and loose one's butt on a trade up to SRT.
I like the idea of a 6.4L swap is it can be done for reasonable cost as I believe that would yield less problems than trying to build one out of a 5.7L.

If the 3.45's can be swapped in front and rear, should provide a nice boost to pickup and spits the difference between the R/T 3.09 and the SRT 3.70's.

On the Vette, a Hemi engine would be different, but I think it would be easier to install a LS engine...probably kits out there and should easily be an even swap for a late Hemi.

#67 ·
I think a 6.4L swap would be easiest. From what I can determine everything is the same (wiring, etc.) as the 5.7. You would need an ECM, probably exhaust. Maybe some other minor things. Of course that depends on what you want to get out of it. An R/T sleeper would be be best for me.

#31 · (Edited)
Chase,
Ok, I will put it on the list as an option to go to the 3.45 , but those are the lighter v6 options right? just making sure so I notate that, or else you know someone will tell us we are donkeys and they won't work if we don't specify we know this already.

As for the LS sure, but are they giving them away somewhere? you got a site? I am not made of money, but it seemed like a real good idea and to be honest, the LS stock isn't as impressive as the Hemi stock. and that's the point- I want a reliable engine with good horsepower and free is for me when considering doing this upgrade. I am thinking we will need a new computer for this right? a 6.4 setup, so won't the existing computer go with the engine in my vette? I have already sold the old engine, stripped it down, removed all the old harnesses, its an empty engine bay and dash.

I know there will some issues with the drive by wire crap and all the other crap involved.....I have seen 5.7s for sale on ebay where they sell you a pallet full of everything necessary to run the engine. But it can be done, people put Hemis in old 68 Chargers, it can go in a vette and it won't kill me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.