Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
I'll add in to your list.

11. Front and rear diff is different ratio (3.70) and I believe has e-LSD.
12. AWD system is different.
13. Will require exhaust work as 6.4L has factory shorty headers which require a different down pipe which will then require a reducer to merge to the smaller diameter R/T exhaust.
Probably will loose a few hp there.

Its one thing to add the 6.4L/brakes/wheels and a few exterior trim pieces, it will be another to add all the features.
In the end, just don't put a SRT decal on it and be a poser.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
BTW, I'd be in for a 6.4L swap as that Hemi is superior to the 5.7L in just about every way.
I bet FE would be close to the same too.
The good news is with the SRT D release there are now parts available to make it so....and maybe a few donor cars in a year or 2.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
You're not going to get 100+hp out of a 5.7L without a blower or having serious drivability issues.
The only issue I've heard with the 6.4L and supercharging is the stock intake can't be used such as Procharger or Votech typically do with their kits.

Now I agree supercharging the 5.7L is the most cost effective way to get SRT like power.

The Charger 392 does have 3.09 gears like the D Hemi, but its also 1,000 lbs lighter, has 125hp and 75tq more and turning a 28.7" tire vs your taller 30.4" tire on the Durango.
Your AWD system only has a selectable low range.
The AWD system in the SRT D has different selectable modes including launch control. I believe the main difference is it can transfer more of the power to the rear full time, so say 70% instead of a 50/50 balance.
Not that it is needed, but just noting there is a lot of content added to the SRT over the R/T.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
I don't think you can buy just a gear set.
Both front and rear diff along with the axles are different...beefier, along with the transfer case.
Plus they have electric motors attached to them so even if you get them in, how do you plug them in so they work as designed?

Only option that looks swappable is the V6 3.45 front and rear diffs which seem to bolt in. I know the rear will, not 100% sure on front as I have not researched the axle P/N's.
Either way the speedo will not need correcting.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
I'm certain on the rear....it even shows full interchange with V8 on Mopar sites.
Not sure on the front...V6 could be lighter duty, did not look into it as I have RWD...I'll leave that to you.

One bigger point is while the SRT is using the same HP70 trans the R/T has, the rest of the drivetrain has been beefed up...transfer case, front/rear diffs and drive axles.
So you can add a Whipple and get SRT power+ out of the 5.7L but you won't have the drivetrain strength of the SRT.
Will it matter? Probably depends on how hard you run the truck.

I think this exercise is going to show the SRT is a bargain compared to upfitting an R/T to SRT specs.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
I agree in the not taking on a big payment and loose one's butt on a trade up to SRT.
I like the idea of a 6.4L swap is it can be done for reasonable cost as I believe that would yield less problems than trying to build one out of a 5.7L.

If the 3.45's can be swapped in front and rear, should provide a nice boost to pickup and spits the difference between the R/T 3.09 and the SRT 3.70's.

On the Vette, a Hemi engine would be different, but I think it would be easier to install a LS engine...probably kits out there and should easily be an even swap for a late Hemi.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts