Dodge Durango Forum banner

Anyone Waiting on the 2021 Models?

12K views 68 replies 19 participants last post by  Trickster 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I heard they are refacing the 2021 and giving it an new interior but keeping the basic same outside style. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is getting a full refresh from what I have heard but I have seen no pictures.

Anyone looking to check out the 2021's when they come out? Back in 2017 I missed out on the 2018 models by 3 months. I got my 2017 in July.

#2 ·
I know I'm waiting.

I got our 2018 in October of 2017, and while I really like it, I'm holding out for the refresh on the interior and the highly anticipated Hellcat engine. The interior rumor has been that they are getting a 10 inch screen similar to the Ram's, along with some other things.

I will wait a year this time and purchase the 2022 MY mainly for the bugs to get worked out. For example, the 2018's had a newer Uconnect mainly because of the SRT being released, and they had several issues early on. Unfortunately several people here, if not everyone that got early 2018 MY builds had problems, I was one of them. Since then firmware updates seem to have fixed the problems, but that took almost six months to get worked out.

Hopefully the price will have settled down then as well. I know the 2018 SRT's started in the $70,000 range and never came down for that year. New 2020's can now be found for around $55,xxx and up, that is with discounts. So wishful thinking here that it won't be near the same price point as the Trackhawks. If they start there, again I hope they come down to a more reasonable price later on like the current SRT has. Hell even new Charger and Challenger Hellcats can be found around $60,000 now, again with discounts.

If they don't do a supercharged version, or I decide not to get it if they do, I would still be pretty happy with the current 392 variant that is out now. I've got that engine in a Charger, and damn is that car fun! Either a 392 or a Hellcat (or whatever they call it), will be replacing my R/T in the next two years.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: M-D-Z and hamada128
#4 ·
That will be the 3rd refresh? This thing is on an ancient platform, but its a good one nonetheless. Its a no brainer to me, if you're considering a new DD, just wait a few months and see what the '21 model brings. I'm totally content with my '19 and a 3rd refresh with some new tech isn't doing anything for me. A totally new model that drops 800lbs, adds 50hp, and looks/drives as good as this model, now I'm getting really wobbly.

#6 ·
Interesting, I am surprised they aren’t redoing the exterior. Don’t get me wrong, I think the Durango is still the best looking 3rd row suv by far, but it’s looked essentially the same since 2011. That’s a long time. I know there have been some exterior changes but to the average person they’d look at a 2011 crew and a 2020 sxt(or whatever the base trim is) and say they looked the same. If they do a full new generation I just hope they keep it essentially the same size, not try to bump up to huge suv size like expedition or suburban. Also I hope they keep the engine choices similar. That is, not go to GDI turbo like everything else. As I’ve said before I’m a Ford guy at heart and I like the refreshed explorer looks (still like the Durango looks much better) but everything is turbo’d 4 cylinder. I just personally don’t care for that.

#7 ·
Only a year ago I read that FCA was going to let the Durango ride off into the sunset and now the 2021 model is going to get a refresh. I suspect Dodge is trying to stretch the life of the current platform out a few more years. It sounds like from what I have read recently that production of the 2021 model might be delayed until possibly the beginning of 2021 due to COVID-19. I'm really interested to see what the new interior might look like though. I agree with some others that the exterior still looks as good as any other SUV, especially with some of the recent exterior changes to the front. I still love the look of the 2018 and newer R/T and SRTs.

Reactions: M-D-Z
#8 ·
This is the biggest update they’ve done to the Durango since 2014. The 2018 upgrade was pretty minor. We’re supposed to be getting a couple exterior touches as well as a brand new interior. I’m going to wait at least a year for kinks to be worked out before I even consider replacing my ‘14.

#9 ·
Well if you think about it, its a good way to continue to utilize exiting tooling which is why the body is not being touched other than the front bumper is being tweaked that we have heard.
The New JGC which is on a new platform will not have the capacity to also build a separate Durango and with it also having a 3rd row, the thought probably is a Durango version isn't needed and they won't have capacity...so that explains the long term decision to switch it over to the new JGW platform. It will become the lower price full size SUV, while the Jeep line will be the premium offering and there will be capacity to build it.
The Durango has always been production limited since its been built along side the JGC.

#10 ·
Well if you think about it, its a good way to continue to utilize exiting tooling which is why the body is not being touched other than the front bumper is being tweaked that we have heard.
The New JGC which is on a new platform will not have the capacity to also build a separate Durango and with it also having a 3rd row, the thought probably is a Durango version isn't needed and they won't have capacity...so that explains the long term decision to switch it over to the new JGW platform. It will become the lower price full size SUV, while the Jeep line will be the premium offering and there will be capacity to build it.
The Durango has always been production limited since its been built along side the JGC.
I think you are exactly right about the existing tooling for the Durango and the new JGC platform. That's also why I was surprised that FCA decided to refresh the Durango rather than just let is soldier on another year or two while the JGC production got up to speed, unless they figured if they refreshed the Durango that FCA might be able to get more than just a year or two out of the old platform. Perhaps FCA is now hoping to get three, four or even five more years out of the existing Durango platform.

#13 · (Edited)
That's what I have heard/read. Apparently FCA wants Jeep to be able to compete with the GM 3 row SUVs so a 3 row option will be available at some point. Rumor has it a three row Jeep could be called a Wagoneer and it could be a stretched GC.

#14 ·
I have heard about the wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer as well. I heard that they might ride on the same platform (stretched for grand wagoneer), but they’ll have completely different bodies and the Wagoneer could be a body-on-frame as opposed to the GC being a unibody. The wagoneer would be designed to compete with the Chevy Tahoe/Suburban, GMC Yukon and the Ford Expedition. It’s supposed to be a bit larger and more upscale than the Durango.

#17 ·
I don't know when the bender is going to end at Dodge when they have to get serious about efficiency/battery tech/turbos, but I'm glad to keep partying with their current output! !Viva Hemi engines!

I've been hearing about the demise of the Durango for years (Autoweek mostly) but its still printing money in 2020.

#18 ·
Remember a few years ago when the Durango was “going to be discontinued” or rolled into the Jeep line?

#19 ·
I wish they would make the third row a true option in the refresh.
Nobody I know uses the third row more than once a year... Even those with families. I'd much rather see the space taken up by unused/rarely used seating used for additional under floor storage.

I'm sure the marketing folks only care about satisfying the soccer moms with the interior, but I really think there would be a market for a mid-sized SUV that actually had a little more "utility" to go along with the towing capacity.

#20 ·
Third row seat as an option already exists now, only it is optional in reverse.
Those who do not need a third seat, but would love to have storage compartments only need to order their SRT with the optional light weight package. That is how I ordered my SRT and I love this feature.
I am a civil servant in NY, and here at work we have Durangos without a third row seat, I just don’t know if these models were built as a special version for New York City.

I’m not sure which models beyond the SRT offer this option, but municipalities do order their base model Durango’s this way so that items such as the police radio equipment can be stowed under floor.

#22 ·
Like 4 wheel drive in trucks, a 3rd row isn't used often by most buyers, but having it adds functionality that people value. We don't use the 3rd row too often, but the utility of transporting (2) more humans once in a while far outweighs incrementally more storage.

#26 ·
I completely agree. Another thing I don't like about packages is the fact that IF you want the upgraded leather package like the Brown Leather option on a R/T , you are forced to get the Captain chairs. What if you want the bench seat? You have to get ONLY the standard seats which are black. I think that sucks.
The 3rd row should be a option to delete if you want. Many of us want to use that space for cargo not passengers and the Durango has a nice size cargo area. If you delete the 3rd row you should get the storage boxes like on the SXT. That absolutely should be an option on all Trim levels.

#29 ·
R/T gets a new tow package that ups the rating to 8,700 lbs...

“Tow N Go that’s available on the R/T trim specifically. It brings in a lot of the fun bits from the SRT models, like the SRT’s body parts and fender flares, the drive modes, SRT wheels and tires, big Brembo brakes and ups the R/T’s tow rating from 7,400 pounds with the 5.7-liter Hemi to the SRT’s 8,700 pounds.”

#31 ·
So, I was going to wait for the 2022 MY, but they are not making a normal 2021 SRT, which makes one wonder if they will resume for 2022. And of course, the Hellcat Durango is a limited production for 2021 only.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

#32 ·
Tough call on whether or not to go with a first-year-one-year-only model. I remember hearing my dad's words ... "don't buy the first model year" ... and the issues I encountered the time or two that I went against that advice. (Though.... my 2015 Challenger SRT is from the first year of a refresh and it's performing quite well.)

But that supercharger whine is intoxicating. Hard to believe that it will truly be a one-and-done. Maybe their research shows that there's only so much demand for a high horsepower SUV. Still amazed that you can get that level of horsepower and have a factory warranty and a payment book. Again, great time to be alive.

I like the new front fascia
I like the new exhaust system and am already wondering about replicating it for our 2017.
I like the new interior

Doesn't mean I'll pull the trigger though. My wife loves our 2017 R/T and it's nearly paid for. I would normally replace it in 2023, but we might choose retirement over new payments.

Reactions: hamada128
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.