Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone fills up with super (89 octane) instead of Premium (93 octane) to save a few dollars. I picked up my SRT on Friday and the dealer was saying Super is just fine.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I’d trust the owners manual over the dealer.

Owners manual specifically says “The use of 91 or higher octane “Premium” gasoline is required for in this engine.”

If it ends up knocking, causing damage, they’ll deny your warranty claim because you didn’t use the right octane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,106 Posts
I'd follow the owner's manual.

I'm almost positive the PCM will pull timing to avoid knock on lower octane, but that's probably not optimal..

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I'd follow the owner's manual.

I'm almost positive the PCM will pull timing to avoid knock on lower octane, but that's probably not optimal..
indeed most modern cars build in timing/fuel maps for lower octane fuel just in case....decrease in power and fuel economy result.

·
Registered
262 Posts
what you save in pennies at the pump, you'll just end up with worst mpg so you're back at the pump sooner spending what you saved.......
all we can get here is 91 octane, no 93.

Reactions: Skippy426

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a Ram 1500 and put 87 octane in that. When I first got the SRT, I assumed it also took 87 octane. After a few thousand miles, I came across an article stating that the SRT uses premium, so now I put in 91 octane or better. I didn't notice any difference in mpg or performance, but now that I know better, I use what is recommended by the manufacturer. My wife has a BMW X5, and if you don't use premium in that car, the engine knocks. I think the big V8 is a little more flexible on what type of fuel it will guzzle, and I do mean guzzle.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I pull hundred dollar bills from my pocket, douse them in gasoline (93 octane, of course) and set them on fire rather than use that 87 octane cheap stuff! I'm just kidding. :lol: I do use 93 octane in both my JGCSRT and my DDSRT.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
As stated earlier, why buy this vehicle if you're going to be cheap about how you feed it? If you want to save on gas, look for a Costco gas station near you. Their premium is Top Tier and, at least near me, usually .30 cheaper than everyone else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The PCM knows the difference in octane. So running 87 octane is no problem.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
The PCM knows the difference in octane. So running 87 octane is no problem.
Except in the SRT, which requires 91 or higher, per the owners manual. If it could run SAFELY on 87 or 89 they would have done something similar to the 5.7 where they say 89 preferred 87 acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Don't spend $70k on a car then penny pinch on a lower grade of gasoline.
I bit harsh but I gotta agree. When you purchase a Performance vehicle you should absolutely use the correct fuel in it and not penny pinch. I know the SRT engine basically just drinks gas probably even when it's running LOL but don't void your warranty or cause any engine issues by using lower Octane fuel then what's recommended.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
As Mr Bill put a few thousand miles on his 392 and claims to have felt no difference in retrospect with 87 I'm glad to hear the engine did not implode or otherwise melt.:p

Reactions: DB & Nugs
1 - 20 of 38 Posts