Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone,

I've been talking to John Mercedes at Southeast Performance and he has a complete SS brake line kit for Durangos. It's a 5 line kit that even replaces the crossover line on top of the differential.

The kit goes for $189 but I'm trying to see if we can get enough people interested for a group buy. There are no specifics yet on how many people we'll need so please just add your name to the list below if you want to get in on it.

1. John Warnet

Also he's got some other things in the works as well, which will be for our trucks specifically and I'll be passing along on to everyone soon.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Hey John,

I've heard there are issues with the rear lines (but I'd have to search to find references.) Since I'm doing rotors/pads/calipers next month, count me in!

1. John Warnet
2. Warren Miller

·
Administrator
8,053 Posts
Okay, I feel like an idiot. Where's the fourth rubber line? There should be only three. One for each wheel on the front and the one to the rear axle. The rear axle should be solid lines from the tee to the rear drums.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MWeed said:
Okay, I feel like an idiot. Where's the fourth rubber line? There should be only three. One for each wheel on the front and the one to the rear axle. The rear axle should be solid lines from the tee to the rear drums.
As I know it, there are four short rubber lines to each wheel. The rears are connected to a manifold and then hard lines to the master cylinder.

·
Administrator
8,053 Posts
There's no reason for rear brake hoses at each wheel, as they don't move separate from the axle, and the added expense wouldn't be allowed by the bean counters. The only rubber going to the rear drums is the parking brake cables. I only see the one rubber line in the back going from the chassis to the rear axle tee, then hard lines to the cylinders. Everything else is hardlined.

Even so, I'd be intereted in stainless lines for my D. That would be a major help in brake pedal feel and stopping power.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
The '03s came with rear disc brakes so they'd have 2 extra rubber lines to the rear calipers. Maybe the kit comes with 5 lines so it covers all possible model years??

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I've heard that the rear lines are problematic & in need of modification to work. I'd really like to do the front two though.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Yo, Sir Don.

If I understand things correctly, SS lines elliminate pressure drops & fade (under hard use.) Of course, I've been drinking & could be mistaken.

·
Administrator
8,053 Posts
The rubber lines tend to swell under pressure, thus lowering the brake pedal control of the brakes. Rubber lines tend to swell shut over time and will crack or leak easier.

And yes, I was talking about the rear drum brake D's about only having 3 lines.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
Get the final price and I might be interested. They'll improve breking a lot.
I thought you already did your new brakes John! A while ago you posted about lines. :?
Steve
DOC Pres

·
Registered
19 Posts
I might very well be interested. Need more specific info though, like price. If I don't get the Durango to start braking decent soon, its going to the scrapyard I think. They're not worth much anymore and even less when they go fast but won't stop!

Every time I drive I'm amazed at how a production vehicle can have such poor braking. I just got it back from yet a different shop that said there was no problem with the system.

·
Administrator
15,100 Posts
Leviticus said:
I might very well be interested. Need more specific info though, like price. If I don't get the Durango to start braking decent soon, its going to the scrapyard I think. They're not worth much anymore and even less when they go fast but won't stop!

Every time I drive I'm amazed at how a production vehicle can have such poor braking. I just got it back from yet a different shop that said there was no problem with the system.
Leviticus,
If you're looking to sell it cheap, my son is interested.

John,
I'm still interested but I'll take the free set you'll get for setting all of this up :cheesy: What are the details and do they ship directly from the manufacturer or? (cough)? are you reshipping them out? :cheesy: :cheesy:

IndyD

·
Administrator
15,100 Posts
IndyDurango said:
John, I'm still interested but I'll take the free set you'll get for setting all of this up :cheesy: What are the details and do they ship directly from the manufacturer or? (cough)? are you reshipping them out? :cheesy: :cheesy: IndyD
DurangoDude said:
I just got back from Florida so I need to get in contact with John again. He'll be shipping them out wise-ass. lol
Great! Your local post office sucks.

:cheesy:

IndyD

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'd be interested but need specific details. Anything to help this beast stop.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts