Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, have you replaced the engine? We have 172,000 on our engine and are giving it serious thought of replacing it with a new/rebuilt one. Currently, we rent a car if going anywhere for a short or long vacation (weekend or week).

As far as the engine goes, we've replaced: fuel injectors, oxygen sensors, spark plugs (IRIDIUM type), valve covers and crankcase oil seal.
Transmission: replaced lower transmission cooler line
Electronics: Replaced original PCM (due to possible PCM malfunctions and highly recommended by mechanic), but ECL ended up coming on w/8 codes again. Put original PCM back in, but ECL came back on with same 8 codes. Sent new PCM back to factory for checking and possible repair.

We absolutely love our Durango and it pulls our 20' powerboat, sitting on a dual-axle 27' trailer, very, very good.

So, if you have/had a 2005 Durango, like ours, what problems did you have. If you still have it, how does it run?

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
699 Posts
Your value is only about $3200-3500. It will cost that much to put a motor in it, or even more. Love it or not, why not sell it and take that and what you would spend on a motor and get a newer, lower mileage RT with the 5.7 and a tow package?

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your value is only about $3200-3500. It will cost that much to put a motor in it, or even more. Love it or not, why not sell it and take that and what you would spend on a motor and get a newer, lower mileage RT with the 5.7 and a tow package?
Well, the kind of Durango you are talking about cost a pretty mint. Much more than a $8,000 engine, which includes installing it and a nice warranty. We have searched for Durango's, with the same size engine we have, and the cost is way over what we can afford. IOW, I'm fully retired, with only SS as an income. My wife is working a job from home, but it's thru an agency. Great pay, but it could end any month. Her only income, once this job is over, is SS as well. Neither of us get a pension of any kind.

A vehicle monthly payment just couldn't/wouldn't be for us. And, besides that, we rent an apartment and pay for different things on our baby (boat).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well, the kind of Durango you are talking about cost a pretty mint. Much more than a $8,000 engine, which includes installing it and a nice warranty. We have searched for Durango's, with the same size engine we have, and the cost is way over what we can afford. IOW, I'm fully retired, with only SS as an income. My wife is working a job from home, but it's thru an agency. Great pay, but it could end any month. Her only income, once this job is over, is SS as well. Neither of us get a pension of any kind.

A vehicle monthly payment just couldn't/wouldn't be for us. And, besides that, we rent an apartment and pay for different things on our baby (boat).
At the risk of turning this into a financial management post, why not sell the superfluous toy that's requiring you to spend $8,000 on a $3,000 truck?

Anyway, hopping off my soapbox. Depending on your area, I'm sure there are plenty of much lower mileage 2005-2009 Durangos and 2005-2010 Grand Cherokees with the same 4.7L or more powerful 5.7L engine that will meet your towing needs for less than $8,000.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I have a classmate from 1968 high school graduation that told me that her and her husband replaced the engine in their older vehicle. The older vehicle had 144,000 miles on the original engine, and now, with the new/rebuilt one, the mileage is 244,000. And, she told me, "still going strong".

My wife doesn't like the Jeep Grand Cherokee and, what she don't like, we don't get. Anyway, just looked at a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee online and it was $30,000. Now, that's a whole lot more than $8,000!

We live in northern Colorado, just south of Ft. Collins. We have found many older Dodge Durango's, but most-to-all are V-6, of which we don't want. The V-8's cost in the area of $15 to $30 thousand dollars.

There are many people who will change the engine in their older vehicle, because they like the older vehicle...........and, I mean really, really like it. That's pretty much us.

And, btw, everyone here does now that we are in our early 70's. No financial battle going on here. It's just that we know what we can afford and not afford. Can afford $8,000, but definitely not $30,000.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Filtering out ludicrously overpriced SRT-8s, I found plenty of decently-priced Grand Cherokees and Durangos in your area. Not sure where you're getting $15k from, but then again the used car market is pretty wacky these days.

I'm not here to argue with you or sway you in one direction; just adding to the conversation. Best of luck with your engine replacement.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Filtering out ludicrously overpriced SRT-8s, I found plenty of decently-priced Grand Cherokees and Durangos in your area. Not sure where you're getting $15k from, but then again the used car market is pretty wacky these days.

I'm not here to argue with you or sway you in one direction; just adding to the conversation. Best of luck with your engine replacement.
We looked ourselves, until we got quite frustrated with the cost we were seeing and finding very few V-8 Durango's. And, as already stated, very few-to-none V8 Durango's that we could afford.

Just remember, once the temp agency and company my wife is working for, decide they don't want/need her anymore, our monthly income goes down to SS only. Can be hard making a monthly vehicle payment on SS and savings only.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
699 Posts
You need to remember that you don't have $8000 but in reality$12000 after you sell your current vehicle. That should get you pretty close to a better vehicle, if yours really needs a new motor. Engines that are taken good care of will go way over 200K so you probably don't need a new one. If you're hoping to eliminate the error codes with a new motor that probably won't do it. Something else is amiss there that your mechanic can't find.

Reactions: DDSRT0311

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Cody:
Welcome to DDN. I haver a 2004 Durango SLT with the 5.7L engine. The 4.7 is good motor, just not as powerful.
What symptoms are causing you to think you would need to replace the engine? If it's been well cared for, 172k is not really that high. At 16 years old it could have 192k as a low, and 240k for a high, and not be considered to have low or high mileage. At 172k, the mileage is low for it's age.

If you are seriously thinking of replacing it, the wider your search area, the better. You are positioned pretty well, as you could travel east or west for one.

Have you kept up the maintenance? At 16 years and 172K, the cooling system should have been flushed at least 3 times, and fresh long life coolant put back in. You should be on your 6th set of spark plugs (assuming you are using the oem Champion Coppers), and install the 7th set at/around 180k.
The transmission, T case, and front/rear differentials are long overdue for new fluids if they are oem.

Don

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an 06 4.7 with 168k on it , still runs strong, I wouldnt blink an eye at driving it long distances. If I was you Id just let it ride, if its running good and not making a bunch of ticking sounds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We got over 220K miles out of a 2001 V8 and kept up on the maintenance and replaced all fluids at the heavy use schedule just because. At 175K I had to replace transmission $5K? and then rear diff / AWD failed at 220K miles. The engine had low compression in at least one cylinder. Just like you, I wanted to keep it, but my garage were worried it would become a money pit.

If you can hold off on that engine swap another year maybe used prices will drop and return to normal.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have an 07 with the 4.7, AWD, etc...basically very similar to what you describe. Currently at 205,000 miles and climbing at about 300-500 miles per week as its my current daily/commuter car. I bought it 6 years ago with about 80k on it. It has proven to be a very reliable vehicle for us overall, got towed once in all that time. I've basically had to do regular maintenance and just replace stuff when it breaks like the steering rack, radiator sprang a leak...stuff like that and wear & teat items like brake, etc. Engine itself has never had any mechanical issues...I'd drive this thing to Alaska or Death Valley tomorrow without hesitation.

Prices are crazy high right now, but I have to be honest I'm not seeing anything even half as outrageous as you're describing in your area. 2009 Grand Cherokee for $30,000? I'm sorry but thats so outrageous that there HAS to be a mistake or missing information there...like its a one owner SRT-8 with 2000 miles or something. I can't cocieve of anyone listing a 12 year old SUV for only a few grand less than a brand new one without there being some sort of extenuating circumstance.

At any rate, I agree with the others here, putting a motor into your 2005 Durango probably doesn't make financial sense and you're going to be better served in the long run by buying a more reliable vehicle with the money you'd be putting into your Durango. Your post is describing you having to replace things that are electronic like the PCM (apparently with another questionable PCM which makes me think the original one might not be bad in the first place), not just in the motor...read the writing on the wall here, its time to abandon ship and get something else. Ride out this price bubble we're in right now and get something nice when prices become reasonable again.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do understand what all of you are saying about the engine, but then again, we don't want to get stuck somewhere, miles away from home, possibly in another state, with an internal problem from the engine and it can't be driven. Of course, this could happen with something else, other than the engine.

If our mechanic could guarantee us, someway, which would be impossible to do (LOL) that the engine would be ok to drive long distances, we'd do it. Our last rental car, Budget rental, cost us $600 to rent for a weekend. It was a 2021 Ford Escape Platinum SUV, w/23,000 on it. Much lower to the ground than our Durango and full of electronic features. I'd take our Durango any day over this, and besides that, it was a V6.

Now, the good part about our Durango, it passed emissions last Monday. Our 21-22 registration was due, with an every two-year emissions test and it passed.

My wife got an e-mail yesterday about a 2018 Ford SUV for $25,000. But, only a V6. We have looked and looked and the cost of older V8 Durango's here are very high, AND with mileage of 150,000 and higher or, V6 only. Lots and lots of V6's.

We've kept up the engine maintenance on our Durango, but like many people, not completely. Regular oil changes, the fuel injectors, some A/C repairs and part replacements for oil leaks is about it.

And, on top of this, you members don't even want to know how much money we've put into our boat, since bought in April 2009. An entire new block, carb, dual battery setup, CD Player and new Sonar/Fish Finder. But, entertainment cost. New tires on trailer and trailer lights redone. Just look at how much a hunting trip and mounting cost.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
699 Posts
So you have had your past priorities mixed up and now this is where you are. If you know that all repairs to the motor have been done when required, there is nothing that needs to be done that you are ignoring, and it doesn't have any signs of poor running such as leaks, rough idle, poor acceleration, a drop in mileage, smoke out the back, the smell of coolant or burning oil or high oil usage, then you should not worry about it's reliability. This is the horse you picked so now you have to run it. Ten years ago you didn't have the foresight to see the position you feel you're in now and you can't change that unless you change your hobbies.

·
Registered
356 Posts
You've mentioned codes popping up. What codes are you getting? We can likely help diagnose the real issue, at it seems the PCM likely isn't the issue.

1949 International KB2, 302/T5
1968 Dodge Dart GTS, 340/727
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T "SRT Design"
2016 Dodge Durango Limited

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So you have had your past priorities mixed up and now this is where you are. If you know that all repairs to the motor have been done when required, there is nothing that needs to be done that you are ignoring, and it doesn't have any signs of poor running such as leaks, rough idle, poor acceleration, a drop in mileage, smoke out the back, the smell of coolant or burning oil or high oil usage, then you should not worry about it's reliability. This is the horse you picked so now you have to run it. Ten years ago you didn't have the foresight to see the position you feel you're in now and you can't change that unless you change your hobbies.
"Past priorities mixed up"??? We took care of the Durango the best our finances seen it. Before moving back to Colorado, we had a 1997 Dodge RAM 1500 that we also had to pay monthly insurance on and "try" to maintain. Decided to sell it, so we could pay to have our boat transported here (Colorado).

IOW, not everyone has the money for complete maintenance of their vehicle. There are those that either have to, or see fit, to distribute their finances in different places...........and, that doesn't always mean into their vehicle.

But, if we did put a new/rebuilt engine into the Durango, that would be one less worry we'd have in driving it anywhere of distance. Yes, something could happen to the trany, electronics or something else, but wouldn't have to worry about the engine. Anyway, still just "thinking" about it. Have to get the problem with the electronics fixed first.

And, since I'm fully retired, and my wife works from home, we don't use the Durango for job transportation. And, we don't use it much during our winter months either. But, we think it would be more reliable with a new engine in it.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You've mentioned codes popping up. What codes are you getting? We can likely help diagnose the real issue, at it seems the PCM likely isn't the issue.

Codes: U1120, U110C, U1411, U110E, U0141, PO627, U1113, PO654

·
Registered
255 Posts
Some people don't want the rational answer. They just want to be validated.

Reactions: GTSDart340

·
Registered
356 Posts
Codes: U1120, U110C, U1411, U110E, U0141, PO627, U1113, PO654
Which computer did they replace? The codes show an issue mostly with CAN bus C. I'm not familiar enough with the Durango of that year, did those have the TIPM? I know those had tendencies to go bad.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts