Dodge Durango Forum banner

Anyone ever swap a Chevy 350 into a 005 Durango with a 4.7?

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  cerd 
#1 ·
Im tired of dealing with this junk 4.7 engine and all the computer issues and all the sensors.

anyone know if there is a kit to swap in a old style 350 with no extra junk on it? Standard pre smog 350. It should fit easier into the bay and give it more room to cool off plus be WAY easier to work on and keep running. Plus I know the 350 like the back of my hand since I rebuilt a few dozen in my life.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
You must be joking. There is no aftermarket joy for something like this. The main issue will be the fly by wire and the CANBUS in the '05 that won't work on a "normal" small block Chevy motor. This would be a custom build for you.
CANBUS? No clue what that is. I’m just trying to go with a non computerized motor that is easy to work on and keep running. Maybe a pre smog dodge engine would work.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Before I would go that route, consider a donor Durango with a good 5.7L. You know it will work, since the 5.7L was a factory option. The extra 100 hp is instant! With a donor D, you'll have all of the harnesses, and an extra trans on hand.

Don
I’m not trying to boost the power, just looking for an engine that is easy to work on and is presmog so no sensors or computer to go bad.

the 4.7 engine I have now is driving me up a wall. I replace a sensor and then I get about 100 miles then another sensor fails. I replace that and another fails. So far I have replaced them all and I’m on my second pass replacing them. The engine is running cool internally but the idiotic design of the vehicle doesn’t allow much air circulation and it’s literally melting the sensors. And now the passenger side exhaust manifold is leaking and an o2 sensor failed. It will take days to replace the o2 sensor because of the moronic placement. I literally have to remove both the pipes from the manifold to the cat to access it.

it doesn’t have to be a 350 and any presmog dodge engine that fits can do.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Ed:
So, your Durango is an '05 with the 4.7L engine. How many miles, and how long have you owned it?
Dodge vehicles can be quite picky about what sensors you go back in with. Have you been using oem parts? They cost a bit more, but you'll save money in the long run.

Re CANBUS, this is the operating system that Dodge upgraded the Durango to for 2004 and newer Durangos.

What was the initial issue with your D to begin with? Throwing parts at it, without a good diagnosis, is a rabbit hole.

Don
It has 156k miles on it and I kept getting codes for the sensors and parts. it started with #8 cylinder misfiring so I figured since the injectors and packs never had been replaced, I did those and the plugs. Then the battery started failing because it was old so got a brand new one. Then the crankshaft sensor failed so while I was right there I replaced it and the camshaft sensor. Then it was the map sensor and I forget what the other was called but it was the one on the throttle body.

Every item was oem parts. The crankshaft sensor melted and failed so I replaced that again and then the map sensor failed.

now I’m getting a P0175 code and running rough again. It looks Like it is the o2 sensor that is an area you can’t get to unless you unbolt the pipes from the manifold and cat.

I’m just getting tired of this constant repairing. I old and have a horrible back so any repairs are extremely painful to do and I can’t afford to have it done at the shop in town. Just replacing the 2 radiator hoses was quoted at 136.00 just for the hoses and then 1-2 hours labor at 100 an hour.

I asked about the o2 sensor and just the labor was quoted at 300. Plus tax.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.