Dodge Durango Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Figured I’d post an update to this as I’ve gotten a few private messages asking how it’s worked. I’ve had literally zero issues since charging with r134. The system has worked great for almost 25k miles thus far.
So long story short my neighbor put 134a in my vehicle that requires r1234yf and now it's blowing hot. It was cold before just not super cold. But now it's hot. So to what I read of your writing, the 134a should be working just fine in my system designed for 1234? At a loss as to what to do at this point because I can't afford to take it to a shop. Do I just need to get a vacuum pump then add the 1234 or what could possibly be the problem seeing as you said 134 should work just fine?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 Chrysler 300 and live in Phoenix. This was the 1st car that I had 1234yf and it was horrible. Be lucky if I got 55-60 vent discharge temps. Shop owner friend talked me into emptied it and put in 134a. Even at 115 degrees sitting in traffic I get nice cold air now. Been in there 2 years now.

Your friend obviously did something wrong. When it's done correctly it is a 100% compatible retrofit. You can't just add 134a into existing 1234yf. All the 1234 needs to be removed, system drawn into a vacuum, proper amount of 134a and PAG added etc. Miss one step and it won't work and possibly damage the system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all you ummm ignorant people out there... The 1234yf is propane. Highly flammable and needing a license to purchase at least in massachusetts. And for the ding ding that was in the building that had a leak poor guy in the wrong place at the wrong time! Shit happens. Epa sux but the idiots that just let the shit out into the air are the shittards. Anyway thanks for the opionens .

·
Registered
99 Posts
R290 is propane not R1234YF

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
So long story short my neighbor put 134a in my vehicle that requires r1234yf and now it's blowing hot. It was cold before just not super cold. But now it's hot. So to what I read of your writing, the 134a should be working just fine in my system designed for 1234? At a loss as to what to do at this point because I can't afford to take it to a shop. Do I just need to get a vacuum pump then add the 1234 or what could possibly be the problem seeing as you said 134 should work just fine?
Why did you add refrigerant? If it was low, there is a leak which must be fixed. If you replaced a component and didn’t vacuum it down before adding refrigerant you’ll have air in the system and it won’t work. I wouldn’t mix them though, which may also be your problem, as they may not work nicely with each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't trust the "Planet Savers" as far as I can throw them they are telling us trace a gas that plants thrive on is going to kill the planet, Get Real! Read Bert Rutan's powerpoint onAGW is is still true today AGW is just a power grab
With all due respect, comments like yours are rationalizations made by people with a little fragment of information but lacking the perspective to see the big picture. Kind of like the Flat-Earthers with their skewed arguments or someone standing on a beach looking out at the ocean and saying: "It's not as big as I thought it would be." Excess CO2 won't 'kill the planet', but if it increases enough, it will become difficult for humans to continue living on it due to temperature increases causing climate change, more unpredictable storms, the melting of the Arctic and Antarctic regions leading to sea level rises and loss of wildlife, brush fires due to reduced rain in areas, etc. We are already experiencing some of these effects. Even if you don't believe in global warming and there is a natural process that runs in cycles that is causing a lot of this, it's kind of idiotic to not do what we can to reduce the effects, as ultimately we will have to suffer it no matter what the root cause may be. It may have been George Carlin that scoffed at people 'saving the planet' -- The planet will always survive. There may be nothing left but cockroaches that have adapted to eat plastic, but the planet will exist until our sun turns into a red giant. It should be more like 'save the humans'.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry you feel the way you do @ the EPA. They are there to protect us from ourselves. I realize it is cheaper to use the R134 but do it right.
Sorry to see you decided to speak like a condescending jackass, but doesn't surprise me from a Democrat like you. the EPA is out here to make money, they're not concerned about the environment.
With all due respect, comments like yours are rationalizations made by people with a little fragment of information but lacking the perspective to see the big picture. Kind of like the Flat-Earthers with their skewed arguments or someone standing on a beach looking out at the ocean and saying: "It's not as big as I thought it would be." Excess CO2 won't 'kill the planet', but if it increases enough, it will become difficult for humans to continue living on it due to temperature increases causing climate change, more unpredictable storms, the melting of the Arctic and Antarctic regions leading to sea level rises and loss of wildlife, brush fires due to reduced rain in areas, etc. We are already experiencing some of these effects. Even if you don't believe in global warming and there is a natural process that runs in cycles that is causing a lot of this, it's kind of idiotic to not do what we can to reduce the effects, as ultimately we will have to suffer it no matter what the root cause may be. It may have been George Carlin that scoffed at people 'saving the planet' -- The planet will always survive. There may be nothing left but cockroaches that have adapted to eat plastic, but the planet will exist until our sun turns into a red giant. It should be more like 'save the humans'.
With all due respect, don't speak of things you do not know of. The EPA is not concerned about the environment. It's a money generator. The planet Will survive perfectly fine. Aa for the CO2 emissions and the other nonsense you spoke about, again do the research. They've already skipped over one two three four because they realized it was a mistake. Lastly regarding the person that was switching. My 2017 Chevy Malibu LT came with 1234. I released that shit into the air, got the conversion valves and put in 134. Air conditioner works perfectly fine. you're going to have to play it by ear since the gauges won't read properly, but it's not hard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just converted my 2017 Chevy Malibu lt. I literally just squeezed all the 1234 out into the air. You might want to use a rag because a lot of oil came out. Put the new adapter fittings and refilled it with 134. Don't waste your time with the gauges because they won't read right. You got to play it by ear but you can get it right. My AC is working fine

·
Banned
2 Posts
Sorry you feel the way you do @ the EPA. They are there to protect us from ourselves. I realize it is cheaper to use the R134 but do it right.
No they are petty bureaucrats that think that they have the power to control the Earth's climate. The truth is one good belch from a volcano or a years worth of gas from a large African termite colony will dwarf any of their feeble attempts. You don't have to believe me, all you have to do is drink the Kool aid.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
496 Posts
And.... you are here why?

·
Banned
2 Posts
I was sent to study your planet populated by bipedal sheep. I am tasked with documenting your odd habit of not questioning your leaders before we blow your planet to Oblivion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A fair amount of misinformation there I think..

The cold-weather loss of refrigerant is a non-issue; the fitting caps are designed to prevent that.

The fittings are different, so you'll at least have to use adapters. The next person to work on the system may be surprised.

"r1234yf is not nearly as efficient as r134a" is apparently not true, at least from a quick read of a few industry papers just now. If you were to put R1234yf in a system designed for R134a, it looks like you'd end up with about a 10% loss of cooling capacity, but putting R134a into a R1234yf system would be a wash.

It appears R1234yf oil is compatible with R134a (but not vice-versa), so shouldn't be a problem there.

I don't think you can charge by weight using the same numbers for R134a, you'll have to play the superheat/subcool/pressure game. Not sure about this, don't have time to research.

Expansion valve calibration won't be quite right for R134a, but should be acceptable.

third-party shops are going to have to eventually deal with R1234yf; because very few cars come with R134a anymore. Collision industry rags seem to say that bodyshops were already buying R1234yf gear in 2015, so it should be getting pretty common..

Just my $0.02, and I know I didn't answer the question you asked ;)
you provided a bunch of misinformation in order to try to impress people by giving your two cent. amazingly enough in your attempt to feign intelligence, which you have none of, you never answered the question. Simply put yes you can put 134 into 1 2 3 4. You just have to buy the adapters at home depot. Average cost is about $2.50

·
Super Moderator
12,912 Posts
you provided a bunch of misinformation in order to try to impress people by giving your two cent. amazingly enough in your attempt to feign intelligence, which you have none of, you never answered the question. Simply put yes you can put 134 into 1 2 3 4. You just have to buy the adapters at home depot. Average cost is about $2.50
Um, ok.

I did not post any misinformation.

Putting a different refrigerant into a system without labeling it is going to cause heartache down the road. Shops can't recover random refrigerant, and they will kick you out if their equipment detects the wrong refrigerant when they recover.

I did note that the oil used with R1234yf is compatible with R134. And I discussed all the things that need to be considered when making the change.

so exactly where did I mislead anyone?

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
496 Posts
@tomk: Nice of a member to bash a Super Moderator who probably knows what he's talking about, eh? I am waiting for his Malibu's AC to crap out due to the loss of the oil that he mentioned. It will be a fitting end for it.

Reactions: Moose135

·
Registered
1 Posts
Charged my system up a few days ago with 134a and everything works wonderfully. Only had to buy new fittings for my gauge set to fit the 1234yf fittings and the rest was routine. Less than $70, including buying the new fittings. Cheapest 1234 price I got, just to fill and not including mandatory diagnostic charge, was $500. I'll take the $70 fill every time over the other crap. So screw you hippies! ?
this thread is years old I see but I will try anyway. You must have to evacuate the system completely I assume if you were to put 134 into the 1234 system or do they mix well enough that there is not an issue ?

41 - 60 of 60 Posts