Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Grand Cherokee. My rear seats are never up and I always need to haul all kind of things from boxes, wood, tools, etc. Handyman type stuff.

I need more room and trying to decide between a Ram short or long bed and Durango. Does anyone know the length and width of the Durango interior when all seats are down? A pickup is approximately short bed (56" x 67") long (56" x 76"). Not included is the interior with a crew cab. Smaller width with Ramboxes.

The advantage of a Durango is you can stack to the roof without being worried something will fly out and keep it dry. The disadvantage is not having a more aggressive vehicle for snow and getting the interior dirty. I drive through the West Virginia mountains often and had to use 4 low getting to my rental property. I'm afraid the Durango may not be capable enough unless I wait for the 3 row GC or Wagoneer.

What would you do?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't think any SUV can really be a sub for a full size truck. Have you considered a "weekend" beater truck for those Home Depot runs? The JGC is a nice rig and if it serves you well as a daily, a cheap used truck might be a good route.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
There were more than a handful of times I wished I had bought a truck over the Durango. I liked my Durango, but a truck would have been much better 99.9% of the time for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the feedback. I think I'm leaning towards a pickup long bed, however, I can't get over the SRTD.... Maybe a 6.4L Power Wagon will do, although not sporty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think the SRTD is an under appreciated vehicle. I probably could have talked my wife into one, but for daily the entry price and fuel mileage is tough to swallow. On the other hand life is short and you never know when a virus is going to take you out. I'd go SRTD and a beater truck. Trucks are an appliance, a useful one, but its just a truck.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
If you choose the 5.7 Hemi option in your D it comes with the 2-speed transfer case so you have low range.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I appreciate the feedback. I think I'm leaning towards a pickup long bed, however, I can't get over the SRTD.... Maybe a 6.4L Power Wagon will do, although not sporty.
I currently have a Grand Cherokee. My rear seats are never up and I always need to haul all kind of things from boxes, wood, tools, etc. Handyman type stuff.

I need more room and trying to decide between a Ram short or long bed and Durango. Does anyone know the length and width of the Durango interior when all seats are down? A pickup is approximately short bed (56" x 67") long (56" x 76"). Not included is the interior with a crew cab. Smaller width with Ramboxes.

The advantage of a Durango is you can stack to the roof without being worried something will fly out and keep it dry. The disadvantage is not having a more aggressive vehicle for snow and getting the interior dirty. I drive through the West Virginia mountains often and had to use 4 low getting to my rental property. I'm afraid the Durango may not be capable enough unless I wait for the 3 row GC or Wagoneer.

What would you do?
If I had known that my 2020 Durango GT Plus 2nd row windows didnt roll all the way down I seriously would have considered another vehicle. PLUS THE SALESMAN DIDNT TELL US THAT OR THE VEHICLE HAS THE AUTOMATIC SHUTS OFF WHEN IT STOPS . Another way to preserve gas although you can switch that option off. A little pissed.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I traded my Ram in for the Durango. I'm driving a Jeep GC now, and miss the pickup. I'm afraid if I drove one of these half tons, I'd have a new car payment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm so undecided that I can't make myself pull the trigger on anything. I love the DDSRT, and can get a slightly used one for $50-$54k but I know the 2021 will have a bigger Unconnect screen, probably 360 degree camera, power folding mirrors, etc and I would already want to trade in for that one. However, I'm spending money for a second set of winter wheels and tires, Xpel wrapped around the entire front end plus side skirt to keep gravel from sand blasting the rocker panels. (Probably $6,000 in extra costs).

On the other hand, I would get a Power Wagon, 12" screen, capability in any winter weather, RamBox's for all my tools, metal factory bumpers, etc but it's not sporty.

I know, I know.....first world problems but truly not sure what I should do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Regarding the SRT option...12" screen, is it worth $10-15k? You seem to have a bad case of vehicle FOMO, so consider a true 5th Gen RAM 2500/3500 is yet to be released. The current model is a heavy update of the 4th gen. You would be out of your mind driving a 4.5 Gen Power Wagon with a new one in the lots. I would get that used SRT now, you'll be bored of it in 12-18 months, then you can get a '22 Power Wagon.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Power Wagon has a different version of the 6.4L from the DSRT.
Set up more for TQ and long life towing than HP and performance.
But I'd say both probably get the same FE.
:p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts