Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new axle boots on my 2nd Gen and I wanna know if this could be a DIY or call a mechanic. I think its best to just change the entire axle and the boots it only makes sense. Was it a hard job for one person to do or what ? Thanks Durango Fam.

*04 Durango ST 4.7L

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've changed a number of boots on GMC C/V's. Difficult? Not technically. However, extremely messy and you do have to follow a process. You also need spare clamping bands and a banding tool. ( they are cheap ). A few key points. Get proper C/V grease. Make sure where you clamp the boot on is super clean. Trying to band a boot onto a grease covered surface gives a high failure rate, they just slide off. Also if you are changing the boot because the old one has a hole in it that gives you a very high probability that grit has gotten into the C/V. That has to be 100% cleaned out and regreased. Bottom line, can you do it at home? Yes. But do you really want to? Bolting on remains is just so much easier. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks old bear

·
Premium Member
3,771 Posts
Shay:
Changing out the axle assemblies is the way to go. You can do it yourself, and save some major bucks. Out of curiosity, is it the outer or inner boots? I ask because both outer boots on my 04 disintegrated at 54K and were thankfully replaced under the 7/70 powertrain warranty.

Don

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the inner Don

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
Replace entire assemblies You will not regret it
STEVE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts